Trustpilot Reviews

Ah right. So it wouldn’t be a current review? I think you should try again with current features.

I’m fully aware of the features. And the lack thereof. Whilst I have plenty of issues with some of Monzo’s features, they aren’t what truly prevents me from using monzo, nor what my main problem is about. (I could work around those, if I felt it was worth it.) My main problem is Monzo’s business practices

Cool say that then.

1 Like

What’re the business practices you have issues with and why? (Genuinely curious)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve had the sense from your posts that you’re sceptical of Monzo’s business model (income from overdraft fees and the marketplace) but this sounds more fundamental.

Would you mind sharing your misgivings? (I’m not looking to argue them necessarily, and I hope you don’t feel like you have to justify yourself, but I’d be curious to understand more, especially as I’ve grown to really value your opinion).

3 Likes

Alright, so here is my summary of basic issues I have with Monzo’s current business approach and tactics. I should preface this by saying I’ll ignore issues I have with aspects of Monzo’s functionality (or lack thereof): There is plenty, but Monzo is a young business, and they’ll have a chance to pick up what’s missing, and in the mean time I could supplement missing features by using other banks.

I will also try to be brief in each point. As such this isn’t meant to be a balanced discussion, but just a short outline of my concerns:

Reliance on Marketplace for sustainability
In the post-Cambridge-Analytica world I’m just not too happy with the idea of yet another company analysing my every move and trying to sell me stuff in response. My bank would have uniquely deep insight into my world, not least because it wouldn’t have to make assumptions about my income, age, gender, homeownership status etc., but I would know those things as fact because I told them. By implementing social functions (pay with friends, this forum, etc) they would also learn a lot about my social circle.

Polarising their customer base
(Hyperbole alert!) The way in which Monzo seems to instil an almost religious zeal in some of their followers to the extend that they tend to forgive every misstep, write love letters on their forum, and just can’t imagine anyone having a bad experience with their bank is unhealthy. You may say that the forum isn’t part of the product. But you have probably heard people exclaim on these forums how this forum is part of what they love about Monzo. Well, for me the zealous dedication that some customers exhibit is actually turning me off ever more. (And parts of this thread is a prime example.)

Expecting their customers to change behaviour in order to suit their business model
Particularly the discussions about avoiding ATM withdrawals. I mean: it’s a basic feature of banking that I need to get my cash. Monzo are already making that difficult by putting very restrictive withdrawal and other limits on the account. And if on top of that a bank that doesn’t offer some of the most expensive aspects of banking (branches), needs to beg me to stop withdrawing my own cash, I have a problem with that.

Security and privacy as an afterthought
This has exhibited itself again and again: Fingerprint unlock was only recently added after much pressure on the forum. There is still no persistent password. The API was shipped without an easy way for me to terminate access. My security questions and answers are clearly visible in app. I could go on, but my point is: while Monzo express that they agree this is not perfect, and that they want to do something about this, they have shipped the product with serious security/privacy flaws. If security and privacy aren’t core considerations from the design stage, but bolted on afterwards, I am not confident that they are good enough.

Charging overdraft fees when not overdrawn
This is something that just enrages me. I want to say my attitude to this has shifted considerably: At first I was mildly curious. Then I was confused. Now I find it reprehensible. I’m saying this, because this is very unusual for me: Usually, when I’m upset about something, I reach “peak upset” pretty quickly. The next morning I’m like “oh, well …”. But not here: I find it utterly deplorable that a bank would charge overdraft fees on a not overdrawn account, and the more time goes by without it being addressed by Monzo the more I feel that way. And the fact that they position themselves as “ethical”, “pro consumer”, “saving us money” makes it worse. I shall stop here before this becomes a completely incoherent rant.

Anyway, I should probably say that apart from the last two points, none of these would be enough to stop me from using Monzo in isolation. I also don’t think Monzo is a “rubbish bank” to quote @anon95680666. But taking all of these things into account I would struggle giving Monzo more than two stars at the moment. (And that’s before I even start considering missing features.) I would most certainly not recommend them as a bank to anybody (except maybe for those who find it difficult to open an account elsewhere due to lacking documentation, as a “last resort”.)

19 Likes

Thanks for sharing these, @nanos. I think there’s something in each of them (and they could all be / may well have been a topic in their own right).

I’m out and about at the moment so might respond more fully with my perspective later, if that’s okay.

3 Likes

all valid points for you, as you know I disagree with some of them , which is OK, neither of us is forced to use Monzo if it doesnt suit :slight_smile: a lot of your good advice / observations / information on the forum is offered in good faith and can be taken on board or not, just as any one posting here

10 Likes

Yeah, all of those are good points, but the one that stands out to me the most is the overdraft one.
I also find it crazy to be charged fees when your account is actually in the green if you count pots. Especially when the ‘account’ screen proves that you aren’t in negative balance.

Thanks for your opinions!

4 Likes

No no, you mustn’t say this as if it was fact! This is all opinion, and labelling it fact is inflammatory and silly

/s

1 Like

I’m sceptical of the negative reviews as for some reason all of the negative ones can’t write English properly. Not trying to be bigoted but its just what i have noticed.

1 Like

And lot of complainants on here had Arabic sounding names. It does make me wonder if Monzo’s fraud algorithm has some sort of unintentional bias.

If what you are doing is legit and legal then theres nothing to worry about

2 Likes

Or for countries with lower incomes, the money you can get from writing these reviews is quite lucrative (you see exactly the same on play store reviews, gold farming in games… anything that requires lots of manual labour for what is (to us) little pay).

1 Like

The latest review really can’t be true, a guy has his account blocked after his 2nd wage packet goes in to his account???

I don’t see that happening tbh but also it follows the same pattern as the rest

stole it and told me my accoUnt is under review and it’s been two weeks now thief bank

Yeah ok mate :eyes:

5 Likes

lmao i saw that one too

:rofl: even I find that hard to take serious…

Presumably those people are doing something (sending/receiving money from countries deemed as “sensitive”) that is often involved in fraud.

1 Like

or have connections to politically exposed persons?

3 Likes

Presumably. My concern is that I sometimes feel that Arab people are by default assumed to be involved in improper activities, and some form of unconscious bias might have made its way into the algorithms…

1 Like