Tipping in the UK

One of the best and oldest pizzarias in Naples has two pizzas on the menu, margarita, marinara. Best restaurant ever. :drooling_face:

Agreed keep it simple, keep it lean.

3 Likes

Ahh Naples is where I discovered pepperoni is not what Dominos would have us believe it is!

2 Likes

Ha ha

I don’t tip, unless I want to get rid of some change. I don’t resent places charging more for good service, but I don’t want the responsibility of judging their staff for them. I’m out for a meal, not out to try and quantify a waiter’s worth to me that night.

4 Likes

I never tip unless I get exceptional service. I’m of the opinion that all restaurant staff should be paid fair wages. I also refuse to tip full stop where tips are shared

3 Likes

Very wise. It means one of two things:

1. Everything is prepared and pre-cooked, then chilled or frozen, and basically just warmed up after you order it.
  2. Everything’s cheap rubbish from Costco pumped full of preservatives so it’ll keep for ages.

Either way, you can pretty much guarantee you won’t be getting something freshly cooked, as that’s impossible from such a menu.

2 Likes

I tip dependant upon quality of service. If I’m unhappy about the experience then I don’t tip but if I am then I’ll tip at least 10%

2 Likes

I rarely tip in the UK, if it’s exceptional service then sure - I’d honestly rather tip the person(s) who cooked the food though :thinking:. I worked as a waiter for a while and was always slightly amused when I got a tip. I mean I was basically doing my job - take the order, fetch the food, check up on them occasionally/as needed. I’ve done various other ‘service’ jobs that were probably more deserving of tips but we weren’t allowed to accept them - the wage made up for it though as there was a bit more to it than waiting tables. 🤷

2 Likes

Tipping is a horrendous system.
The psychological impact on those working precariously alone can hardly be understated.

2 Likes

Why is it a must? We don’t tip customer assistants in shops and other people on the minimum wage.

I think businesses should pay their staff more instead. It shouldn’t be up to us to subsidise their staff wages just because the boss would like a new Ferrari.

(I understand for some smaller businesses it’s harder for them to pay their staff more, but I still question whether customers should be paying the employees’ wages.)

2 Likes

Well they should… but via fixed prices for the goods/service provided!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I mean really.

It irritates me when a restaurant or bar adds a service charge themselves to the bill that I didn’t expect. I’m not sure if this is common in London, but it happened to me in a Fullers pub in London.

No, … just make the food more expensive if you feel you have to, but don’t “get” me with hidden charges masquerading as a tip for good service when we don’t tip people in other industries for good service.

2 Likes

So my question to that is why don’t you (read: we) tip shop workers for good service? Hospital staff, bin men, those people who clean the streets or paint the roads (and many more people in other industries)?

I was going to write something similar. I don’t know why waiters/waitresses should be more deserving than people in other industries - especially the NHS etc where the pay is rubbish and the care they provide is for things that are a lot more deserving of a tip. I think it is just a historic idea that just doesn’t make any sense anymore. Especially with people feeling the pinch and struggling to afford to eat out in the first place.

2 Likes

I try to get out of tipping wherever possible because I don’t believe in it. I worked in retail for nearly 10 years and nobody ever tipped me for doing my job or going the extra mile. Sometimes they’d have 50p change they didn’t want to carry and they’d say “oh no I don’t want that, you can just put it in the box” and watch very carefully to make sure it went in the charity box and not to me!

That’s fair enough. You get paid a salary and do your job well and that’s it. But for some reason in hospitality they expect a £10 cash bonus from me for bringing some plates out and asking if the food’s alright. :thinking: I’ll never be happy with that setup.

Despite being anti-tipping there are often times when my hand is forced and I begrudgingly add 10% or so because I feel like an a-hole otherwise, and when you’re out having a meal you don’t want to feel like an a-hole.

Reasons like a compulsory service charge (or discretionary but where you have to state “please take off the service charge” in a quiet restaurant and risk being asked what was wrong with the service), or when the server is standing there burning a hole in you with their eyes while their card terminal asks if you’d like to give a gratuity, or those times where I’m out with the in laws or friends who think not tipping is rude.

I’d be delighted if it was just entirely banned (it can escape taxation so surely there’s some grounds to ban it). I think I’d eat out a lot more if they just paid their staff a good wage and it was all just in with the price. Enjoy your meal and no awkward faffing around with it all.

That’s one of the reasons I love Uber and Just Eat. You don’t need to worry if you are tipping enough, whether they deserved it or if you’ve got the right change etc. No one expects a tip and that’s it.

10 Likes

Sometime last year I was DJing at a Michael Jackson tribute night. My DJ set was probably 90% MJ and The Jacksons. Had a few Prince, George Michael and Madonna slammers in there to throw in towards the end of the night just in case.

About halfway through my set, a drunk guy comes up to the DJ booth.

“Can you play Jump Around by House of Pain?”

Me : “This is a Michael Jackson night”
points at Billie Jean video being projected on a wall

“Ah alright”

30 minutes later…

Drunk guy “Can you play Jump Around by House of Pain”

Drunk guy reaches over and drops a crumpled £20 note next to the turntable

As the next song faded out I stealthily stuck an aux cable into my phone and played it :joy:

Then he left :joy:

I don’t know if that counts as a tip but 20 quid for one song felt like a fair deal :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Sounds more like a bribe :wink:

3 Likes

I can see the headlines now! “Banker accepts bribe in return for house of pain”

5 Likes

You submit it to the tabloids and we’ll split the cash.

Scandalous! What is the world coming to, etc etc

:joy:

3 Likes

In a restaurant… I tip for good service. Takeaway delivery people… never.

1 Like