The Monzo Current Account Preview

I actually like that we don’t have to have an ID card, just as I like that our bobbies don’t have guns. It’s part of being British.

4 Likes

Not sure of the correlation? :joy:

The correlation is that both are fundamentally part of our history and both set us apart from our peers. We had ID cards during the war, but they were such anathema to us, they were scrapped as soon as reasonably possible.

We don’t have to carry it around with us or declare our identity if questioned. Not too sure about the correlation with police not having guns but I’m always impressed at how they manage to disarm knife/gun-wielding assailants without killing them, like the US is wont to do.

3 Likes

It’s an example of Britishness. :+1:

Well some do, they’re armed response and they do more work than critical raids :joy: Sometimes they’re given the menial tasks of knocking on doors for information etc.

ahhh the internet, where someone always raises the edge case

As a web developer, it’s my job to… :joy:

2 Likes

in most countries police don’t carry guns- not the normal ones/patrolling anyway- I can only think of America that does this

1 Like

Spain Germany France Portugal Italy …Norway … Russia…

1 Like

If you’re interested in law enforcement and police weaponry, you might be wondering what countries equips their officers with guns. The truth is that most countries DO require their officers to carry guns, e.g. in Germany they routinely carry guns. Some exceptions are New Zealand, Ireland and Norway. In Great Britain most patrol officers don’t carry firearms, but there are special police who do carry guns, including pistols and rifles. In Northern Ireland all police do carry guns.

1 Like

yes you’re right about Norway - oops

…Denmark, Netherlands, France, Sweden…

1 Like

Norwegian police only carry firearms in response to specific situations. The use of firearms is recorded by the police department which publishes detailed statistics on the annual use of firearms.

anyway I think the current account is …OK to get back to topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Police AFOs (Authorised Firearms Officers) are not special police. They are regular police officers who have volunteered to carry firearms. They do not get paid any extra for this. They do get a lot of extra training.

My apologies.

Back to the current account.

2 Likes

Sure, I can look up Wikipedia too but there’s more than just the EU and western countries. Japan and Singapore doesn’t have their police routinely carry guns, for example- just tasers or batons. But we’re getting off-topic so I’ll stop here.

Stay on topic please guise :eyes:

4 Likes

@tristan Any news for us? Are we still on schedule for releasing to the wider public in October/November?

1 Like

Yup! We’re motoring ahead — aim is to begin fully moving people over mid-October :slight_smile:

6 Likes