The Monzo Current Account Preview

Itā€™s not so much top ups to the current account, itā€™s more not wanting to have Ā£500 sitting on prepaid card which I need to burn through before getting to use the current account more frequently!

I completely understand where youā€™re coming from, (preach the HSBC part!!) but to build the ā€˜top upā€™ functionality for the current accounts may require a lot of time/money/energy, especially when itā€™s for a one off, with many/most people not using it at all.

I really hope itā€™s super quick to build, and it saves you going into a dreaded ā€˜real bankā€™ :wink:

Top ups by card arenā€™t going anywhere :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Fully appreciate that. Just curious to see if thereā€™s a clever workaround as part of current account onboarding for balance transfer between prepaid and current account Monzo to Monzo for the same user at this stage, or whether Iā€™ll need to keep that prepaid balance until the full feature ready roll-out!

1 Like

I see that theyā€™re here to stay :slight_smile:

Iā€™m trying to understand why there would ever be a need, Iā€™ve never needed to ā€˜top-upā€™ my legacy current account, as it is topped up by my salary every month!

No, not initially, sorry! You can still use it for P2P :slight_smile: But thatā€™s not ideal and so Iā€™ll have a think if thereā€™s anything we can do to help, especially if itā€™s lots of people.

2 Likes

Off the top of my head - I expect quite a few people will keep their legacy bank accounts, while Monzo doesnā€™t offer access to all of the legacy products or because of overdrafts / credit cards / mortgages etc. Some banks are slow to send payments via the Faster Payments Service so if you need to access your money, thatā€™s in another account straight away, you can guarantee that itā€™ll get there instantly by topping up by card.

1 Like

Ā£500 is not in anyway shape or form a suspicious amount of money to be handing over in a bank. Maybe it might look odd if you were personally known to the bank staff, and were frequently in low or negative balance. Also have you been notified of when youā€™ll receive a current account? Looks as though the initial roll out will be happening over the next 3-4 months from what I read on the current account preview post?

It also not only quicker than some banks FPS (those who are not direct participants) but some banks do not process FPS at weekends so a card topup handy then. It also faster than SEPA should Monzo ever issue IBAN

1 Like

I see I see - so youā€™re referring to using someone elseā€™s card to ā€˜top-upā€™ your account, if they owe you money or something, and youā€™re desperate for it.

Or, making a ā€˜top upā€™ from a savings account/different current account, rather than using a transfer, because youā€™re desperate for the money.

And irregular times for example the weekends :). Awesome, thanks for clarifying @alexs

1 Like

Iā€™ve just checked on this and am reliably informed by @Will-S that you can ask us to refund x amount from your prepaid card back to your original bank card (itā€™ll take 5-10 days) and then itā€™ll be availble to send to your current account :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It would probably make more sense to use Monzo.me for that. But youā€™re right about the rest :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Faster Payments I believe can be processed on weekends, assuming the bank in question is signed up to the Faster Payment scheme.

Thatā€™s good to know, Iā€™m being a bit naive about cash - I avoid it as much as possible.

Lucky to be receiving it today :wink:

3 Likes

Nice! Very jealous - hope you get on well with it!

Great news :tada: thank you Tristan

I just searched the thread and didnā€™t see it askedā€¦ Can I add a Monzo Debit card to my Monzo Prepaid account? And top up Monzo with Monzo? :slight_smile:

#monzception :monzo: :joy:

4 Likes

1 Like

not all banks signed up to FPS process transactions outside office hours so some it is daytime mon-fri only and not evenings or weekends

Is todayā€™s event all secret hush hush or will it be recorded for us all to see?

Edit: The answer is no :slightly_frowning_face: