✅ Support for Samsung Pay

I have used both - admittedly Google Pay (GP) sometime ago - and found SamsungPay (SP) better. I’m not a techie but understand that SP uses MST technology including & in addition to what GP uses thus making it more acceptable. Most tech reviews online also go with SP which seems to score above GP. If you have a Samsung phone you can have both SP & GP but then it becomes choresome toggling between both wallets to change the default. I’m not sure if you can have the same card on both GP & SP. You’re entitled to your views but I still believe Monzo should include SP as Samsung phones are the most widely used phones in the Android World.

Both products are actually exactly the same in the UK. MST isn’t enabled, even if you try to use your phone in the US. I’m not sure whether this is Samsung limiting this or the card networks. Either way we don’t really swipe cards here in Europe, it’s only really an issue when you start looking further afield like in the US but as I say MST isn’t supported anyway.

The tech reviews thing would make sense if they’re US based publications because over there Samsung Pay does have a clear advantage due to the dated payment infrastructure over on that side of the pond.

My views are irrelevant anyway, Monzo have already said that this isn’t something they’re looking to work on right now.

I am one of those one plus users, but I would still love to have samsung pay for my smart watch! I do not think these statistics represent the usage that samsung pay would have.

Simon has always been honest and regularly fights in our corner when we all start to grumble. I can guarantee that he isn’t lying and these statistics will have been accurate.

Hi Ordog,

I am not contesting that. I am sure they are accurate and represent the % of samsung phones running the Monzo app. What I am contesting is the applicability of that metric. Take my case for example, I have a OnePlus phone, so by his reasoning I am not interested in samsung pay. However, I also have a samsung watch which only runs samsung pay, not google pay. My need for samsung pay cannot be seen in the statistics he is mentioning, thus I do not believe they are applicable when deciding whether or not samsung pay is worth adding as a feature.

In fact, if you look at the statistics by wearables, it seems that samsung is doing better than google, and thus, in that segment, samsung pay is more relevant. (source
https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-sees-massive-smartwatch-growth-q2-while-wear-os-barely-holds ).

Best,

Pep

2 Likes

If you want it be sure to vote for it at the top of this post :point_up:

So far 126 people want this out of 4,147,034 :slight_smile:

Thanks, I just did :blush:

Just get a curve card and attach monzo to that only way around it as I doubt Monzo will ever add it natively.

1 Like

I finally got around to using Curve and it’s really is great.
If anyone is thinking about it then do it.

Finally I can pay with my Galaxy Watch (which for keeping distance in the current climate is a good choice).

I really like Curve and can drop my NatWest account onto it and have a ‘Monzo style’ spending timeline. Win!

Samsung Pay is loaded onto the watch independently to the phone and the debit card is separately registred directly onto the watch. This allows it work with other brands and also independent of the phone. There is no way of reporting how many watches are out there on Monzo customers wrists like there is a way of knowing how many phones there is data from installs of the Monzo smartphone app.

Monzo can’t get true figures for this without a survey.

A stop-gap is Curve but it is just a workaround.

It is so disappointing that there is no Samsung Pay for Monzo. It means I cannot use my watch to pay for things. This means I need to have a separate bank account going so I can have the convenience of paying through my Samsung watch. I would love to move everything to Monzo but this is a real barrier. Yes I can use Google Pay but if I am having to get my phone out to pay I may as well get my card out to pay!

Don’t all your customers matter?
Jo

Just get a curve account and add monzo to it - problem solved.

In short no.

4 Likes

Of course all customers matter, but not such a tiny %

1 Like

Matter? Yes. Get what they want regardless of cost? No.

5 Likes

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, of course the customer matters - though like others have said above - people wanting Samsung pay is a small number.

Thirdly, getting your phone out to pay with google pay is still better than your card as you can still do contactless, go over £45 and also it’s more secure - therefore a lot better than a physical card.

Any news or at least a change of outlook? I don’t think you should have been so quick to dismiss this. It is obviously something us customers want so why wouldn’t you set it up? Surely it you have integrated other platforms then a replication of those processes can allow Samsung Pay to be an NFC option??

Why spend money developing something for so few people?

1 Like

Hi Ashley, I’m afraid I left Monzo to join another company six weeks ago, but hopefully someone else will be able to let you know whether Monzo’s position on this has changed at all.

Why can’t this be set up? Samsung Pay is a popular method of NFC payments… so why aren’t I able to use it? Its annoying as all my other bank and loyalty cards are attached but it won’t allow me to attach my main account from Monzo. They allow Starling which use a similar system to you so can this be something I’d expect to see?