Summary - Feedback thread

Hey Dan, it only works for P2P for now. On our list to better support being paid back for spending by bank transfers!

4 Likes

Ahhh that explains it, thanks buddy :slight_smile: great work!

Not sure if this has been raised (sorry if so), but my Summary is getting massively skewed over the month. Started with an amount (letā€™s say Ā£100 for the sake of privacy), but even though Iā€™ve got about Ā£33 left (so exactly 1/3rd), the ticker is showing it at the quarter point, warning me that Iā€™m running out of money, even though it still tells me I have Ā£33 left to spend.

It seems this is because of people paying me back for things I buy - particularly my partner. Is anyone else having this issue? Was told on the help chat to exclude all the transactions that my partner is paying me back for - but that eliminates pretty much all my spending. So Summary now is even more skewed (still saying Iā€™ve got Ā£33 left, but saying Iā€™m only a quarter of the way through and Iā€™m on track to save loads - I wish!).

Is anyone else having this issue? And can we expect an update to this soon? Summary seems like itā€™s pointless unless you never have people pay you back for thingsā€¦which would be a nightmare.

1 Like

I would also like to disable as I donā€™t use it as a current account traditionally - I still prefer to have my money paid into a separate account then top up all the time. I find the simple act of topping up keeps me more aware of how much money I am actually spending

Hey Adam,

Thanks for sharing this, weā€™re aware this needs improving and are working on ways to better handle being paid back. For now we have a band-aid option for when you are paid back via Monzo P2P payments. If you categorise the incoming payment as anything other than General - the payment will become a credit in the Spending category. This doesnā€™t yet work for Bank Transfers.

2 Likes

Thanks - yeah, bank transfers is the main issue as my partner doesnā€™t want to use Monzo (loser!). So hoping this gets fixed soon please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all,

After your feedback a few days ago, weā€™ve just deployed a change to keep the automatic budgeting logic if you donā€™t set an overall spending budget, rather than showing a plan navy dial with no status description.

So if you have the latest Android version (and the soon to arrive iOS update), hereā€™s how things will work.

• If you donā€™t set an Spending budget: everything will work as it does now. Summary will look at your current account balance, what youā€™ve spent so far this month, and the upcoming payments you have, then determine how much you have Left to Spend and how much of your available money youā€™ve spent compared to how much of the month has passed. If you donā€™t want to spend all of your available money, put the excess into Pots and your dial will update automatically.

• If you set an Spending budget: Your dial will be based purely on your spending budget, and how much youā€™ve spent. Your balance, and how much you have in Pots wonā€™t affect your dial. This should work better for those who donā€™t earn monthly, are using their overdraft, or segment their monthly budget using Pots.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

11 Likes

Personally, from what was described I prefer how the navy version worked. Although I donā€™t want to spend all of my balance I just keep it all there and move the remainder at the end of the month into savings just before my next payday. I would do this in advance but I donā€™t know what the excess is going to be at the start as I just play it by ear.

Iā€™ll wait for the release though and see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why Summary was taken out of Labs when fundamental aspects of how it works have not yet been finalised.

8 Likes

Minimum Viable Product - with over 0.75m accounts now being used they can get better feedback from us as to what works and what doesnā€™t compared to however many internal accounts are available?

1 Like

Iā€™m all in favour of MVPs in general but this felt more like a broken product, which removed at least one existing feature (setting overall budget).

If this was very early days, full of super early adopters, then having the app feel experimental would be more understandable. But Monzo is now a bank, that people trust to be their primary bank account - it shouldnā€™t feel experimental any more.

9 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more. I really hope this doesnā€™t set a new standard going forward.

Also just to be clear; I would be okay with MVP if this was adding new features, but it wasnā€™t. It was taking away a set of features that worked perfectly for 100% of users (setting a monthly target and getting a summary of how much you went over or under budget), and replacing it with something that works for a much, much smaller percentage of users.

It launched with no budgeting support (per-category targets isnā€™t the same as an overall monthly budget), with no weekly salary support, with a useless ā€œleft to spendā€ display, [ā€¦]

You canā€™t take away features and replacing them with broken, useless features.

You canā€™t solicit feedback in Labs and then proceed to ignore all of that feedback and launch without addressing any of it.

I hope the team learns from this so that this never happens again.

7 Likes

And now it feels like the meaning of the dial is changing week by week with very little in-app signposting to make it obvious what is happening and why.

I love the new summery feature :grinning:, there has been a bug for 2 months in a row, both months the committed spending tab predicts my phone bill coming out twice which throws off my spending money by Ā£50.

1 Like

Hey this sounds good. I really want the targets to be better displayed in the Summary, like they used to be in the old spending page. That way the page would present a better budgeting tool.

I have been a little disappointed with the way the summary display appears to work based upon the remaining balance. I donā€™t want to spend my entire balance each month I want to know how close I am to my targetā€™s. The spending budget sounds like the feature I have been missing.

Are the status bars showing the amount of used up category targets going to come back too? I would like to see this for the current month not just past months.

:v:

Hey Tom,

It sounds like youā€™re affected a bug which weā€™ve fixed, but needs a little poke to resolve itself this month.
If you edit your budgets, theyā€™ll appear again for the current month.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey yea, it is working now.

Looking forward to the spending budget countdown. :+1:

This!

Iā€™ve been following the development of the Summary feature since it was introduced via the labs. I think it has the potential to be a great feature (and as I said previously I donā€™t see any other bank going to such efforts to try to help their users with their budgeting). However I am now totally confused about how the thing is supposed to operate - particularly as Iā€™m not sure:

• if the actual release has got up with the intentions as expressed in Jamieā€™s explicative posts
  • if the iOS and Android releases are matched (there seems to be a difference in the level of implementation between the two.

To re-establish the baseline I think it would be good to have a new release soon together with a guide to what the current state is (i.e. how it is working currently) AND what is coming soon.

Or maybe itā€™s just meā€¦

2 Likes

Exactly.

Surely this kind of experimentation is what Labs was intended for?

Summary works again for me after updating to 2.3.0, thank you @jami!

Now if I could only reset the Summary period to the 1st of the month