Starling Feedback

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Competitor Update 2

Thatā€™s exactly what I intended as I was growing impatient on the :mondo: CA, so I signed up for Starling.

I had a look and it looks rather unfinished. People are reporting issues with Direct Debits, setting up Standing Orders for regular payments needs more work, too.

It has a level of functionality, the reporting of where youā€™ve spent your money is a complete lottery. Sometimes the map is there, usually it isnā€™t, often itā€™s wrong and when it does appear and disappears a few days later.

The UI needs much more work. Thereā€™s also concern in their Community that the Starling Customer Service is poor.

It does have things going for it and it, Iā€™m sure, will only get better. For me, I wasnā€™t ready to make that jump from First Direct who have a poor app but first class customer service.

Iā€™ll wait until Starling improves or :mondo: send me a CA inviteā€¦

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what stopped me from using them. I feel Monzo has the style nailed down even if not all the features are there yet. Starling appears the opposite, yes it is more feature rich but it just doesnā€™t seem polished. And ultimately itā€™s easier to add new features than overhaul the entire UI.

5 Likes

Could you provide a citation or point in the direction of a particular thread?

2 Likes

I disagree @anon70107404 i think most people on the Starling community find that the customer service is beyond what they would get from legacy banks, and I think we have to understand that they are learning just as much as us.

Both Monzo and Starling are in beta,and are learning the hard way about how things work and the differences between processors and merchantsā€¦

2 Likes

There was a mention in the last two or three days. Thereā€™s a search function over there.

My own experience of their service has been good via the in-app system (intercom?) that they use.

I donā€™t disagree with that statement at all.

I did not say Starlingā€™s service was poor, I said that Thereā€™s also concern in their Community that the Starling Customer Service is poor.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve spotted this as well hidden in various threads over the last few weeks. Iā€™ve bit given it much weight though because reviews are still overwhelmingly positive and the new/beta status of Starling. Iā€™d imagine theyā€™re growing quickly now though so itā€™s defiantly something to keep an eye on.

Starling is still light-years ahead of legacy banks but I do agree their UI and overall experience needs some work compared to Monzo, which is a shame as the underlying product seems just as good, itā€™s just lacking polish.

1 Like

The ugly entries is my main gripe with Starling at the moment. Lack of maps and logos or badly formatted/shoddy logos is really annoying.

4 Likes

The only issue recently I had with Starling was my list of DDs & SOs went missing in the app. This occurred for around 6-12 hours and didnā€™t affect payments.
Having used both cards only Monzo has been declined or not worked.
I like Monzo but think it & Starling are doing great but need to go a lot further before lots of people will join their CAs.
If Monzo manage a 25% conversion from prepaid to CA I imagine they will be chuffed.

Personally with my useage I havenā€™t found a lot of difference in terms of the icons and sections. Iā€™m in the rural north west of England so this may play a part?

Will it not be 100% as all prepaid will be converted? Question is will people continue to use it?

2 Likes

And to reply to my own post if a new terms agreement is required for the CA, then the interesting part will be the conversion rate

Iā€™m guessing that there will be new terms but Iā€™m 99.9% sure that the process will be opt in so the conversion rate wonā€™t be 100%.

3 Likes

there will be re-validation of identity so you will need to present fresh ID even though you will have done it before with the prepaid account. for some that may be an issue if their ID has expired and not renewed. others had a prepay as they did not want it on CRA records so they may no chose to take a new current account if they know it will appear on CRA files

2 Likes

I have been using Starling as my main account and havenā€™t had any major issues with them. I wouldnā€™t say their customer service is poor itā€™s rather good in my experience. There have been a few issues over last few weeks that I believe is in beta issues. I am watching Monzo go along and I am watching how their current account goes.

4 Likes

The pulse graph is so useless i find myself going into the transaction feed as soon as i can.

3 Likes

I agree with Gallifreyangirl (@gallifreyangirl) that their customer service is good

3 Likes

A bit of an update since my last review:

iā€™ve been using starling as my daily driver since i am waiting (like most of us) for the cureent accounts that ::monzo:onoz will be sending out to us all soon.
Since the time of my last review iā€™ve been taking out of the road with everywhere i purchase goods from stre or draw out cash from atm.
i must admit i am actually satisfied with the service that Starling provides as i have not run into any problems at all with there services.
The only downsides that i have is a few glitches in where the name of the store i have purchased from doesnā€™t entirely show as the correct name. but i have contact customer services at starling and within 10 mintues a C.S.R had got back to me about it, it did however take them 24hrs to update the purchase information to be correct.

Now that starling have added ā€˜Android payā€™ it has made my life so much easier than before.

overall it seems like monzo has some competition ahead of them, but even though i have been using starling i still have a lot of faith that monzo will shine bright.

5 Likes