Starling Feedback

Starling may want to up their Twitter game.
Starling:

:monzo:

I think it’s hourly updates from :mondo: ?

2 Likes

Plus in app push notification from Monzo telling you to use a back up card and nothing at all from Starling in the app.

3 Likes

Here’s the latest from the Starling community :grimacing:

1 Like

Saw that. Little concerning with the problems there have been over the last few months. Hopefully Monzo’s in-house solution is more resilient.

1 Like

Well, the benefit of having an in-house solution is that we can get stuck in immediately and fix something if it goes wrong.

If there’s an error with a third party, we have to wait for them to fix it.

2 Likes

I got an SMS warning me of outage

Is Monzo not planning to use GPS, this article suggests you were in January https://www.finextra.com/pressarticle/67588/monzo-chooses-gps-as-processor , or is this a stopgap ?

Ok I missed the announcement after last GPS outage, I thought the announcement was about ditching wirecard long term

1 Like

You’re spot on - following Starling on Twitter is quite frustrating. Flood of tweets, with little to no content, just adding to the noise. Monzo is handling Comms much much better.

2 Likes

@Dunsford @Dimi both correct - Starling seem to have been poor in relation to Monzo in terms of communicating issues over last few days.

2 Likes

Exactly, proactive communication versus nothing unless you were trying to use the card when it would have failed.

1 Like

Closed my account yesterday. Reason for doing so was that I couldn’t make it fit into my life, and I guess that’s the point of a friction-less product (I shouldn’t really have to try, just do).

Customer service were very quick to get back to me, and it was the early hours of the morning too. Only negative of the closing process was asking for expiry of my photo ID and they didn’t make it clear what ID this actually was i.e. driver’s licence or passport.

Needless to say I failed the question first time around, then got it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Presumably you still have a Monzo account so out of interest, what makes Monzo ‘fit into your life’ where Starling didn’t?

2 Likes

The usefulness and relationship I have built up Monzo over the last 18 months or so trumped getting to grips with Starling. The UI of the Starling is very nice and in keeping with legacy banks apps so easy to find your way around.

If I was to single out why Monzo is better for me it’s a simple as one word (two really), friends/family.

I have my friends and family on Monzo so it is very easy to send/receive payments and split bills etc. Only the other night I got an Uber home and split the fare with a friend who is also on Monzo :slight_smile: :grin:

4 Likes

Interesting! So it’s not necessarily the features themselves but more the network effect that Monzo’s created :+1: thanks.

2 Likes

The features of Monzo brought me onboard firstly, then as my friends and family joined too you could see even more benefits.

The features are equally important and in no way do I understate their importance to me enjoying using the product, but if I were to sell Monzo to someone I would demo the splitting feature and send/request payments :moneybag:

This is my opinion and anyone can agree/disagree.

We’re all friends here on the same journey, the journey towards greater banking! :smiley:

4 Likes

Starling definitely feels like a banker ‘doing’ fintech, whereas Monzo feels like fintech with a banking licence. Sorry Anne.

9 Likes

Sorry Anne.

I don’t know where Anne is right now, but I can feel the burn from here. :joy:

The question will be when aiming for a million or a billion customers can you get there with a product that appeals mainly to techie types or will a product with more of a ‘bank’ feel appeal to the wider masses of the general public? Only time will tell

2 Likes

It sounds like you might be forgetting that although a lot of the users in this community are ‘techie types’ we’re less than 5% of Monzo users right now. Presumably the majority of the remaining users don’t care enough about tech to want to spend their time here & haven’t been attracted to Monzo because of it’s techie appeal either.

4 Likes