Starling Discussion & Feedback

I mean “rectangular, made of paper” was my best guess. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

But in seriousness, what you enter in the description will become the reference attached to the cheque deposit transaction

2 Likes

For those that have used cheque imaging, how does it show in your feed whilst waiting to clear? I’ve used other banks where your scan then nothing happens until the money magically appears in a few days. That was an unsettling user experience.

1 Like

I know that for standard cheques posted in it shows in your feed with a scan of the cheque almost immediately after they’ve received it. Something makes me suspect that Starling was long part of cheque imaging but they just did it on their end. The transaction will have an estimated clear date in the info.

4 Likes

It shows in the transactions list, dated two days from now (when they propose it will clear). It says “Cheque”, “Amount” and status of “Incoming”.

Interestingly I’ve just got the cheque imaging … but I have lost my overdraft as I haven’t used it … so they removed it! Grrrreat, so much for the safety net!

3 Likes

Also have iOS cheque deposit now!

6 Likes

Yep - just arrived into my app as well (iOS).

Now - do I trust this enough to close the Co-op account I’ve kept open specifically just to cash what is generally 1 or 2 cheques a year I actually get?

I’ve paid a number of physical cheques in with Starling and never had even a glimpse of an issue. Plus mobile cheque imaging with other banks works extremely well. Never had any rejections or anything like that - but you keep the physical cheque anyway so if there is a problem at least it’s not like your cheque is lost.

2 Likes

I have just looked and so do I as of this evening!

As an aside, @qwango_uk, you might want to keep the Co-op account to keep a Visa Debit card. Very occasionally, such as at Olympic events, only Visa is accepted, and also there is always the risk of problems with one card network which might not affect the other. Plus, we all know that Starling has had some problems with GPS in the past so they are not 100% reliable either.

1 Like

You can’t really lose unless you physically shred the cheque before you wait two days or so for it to clear.

Once you see it banked then rip.

If you are receiving higher than £500 then you’ll need to post, but that’s the same with any bank.

Can’t remember the last time I saw a co-op branch.

Edit: only 68 branches remaining in the UK. :astonished:

3 Likes

Cheque cleared today (after 1 day) rather than tomorrow as suggested. Mark me down as impressed.

6 Likes

Starling have introduced a connected card.
Looks like a great idea and useful for so many people, children, vulnerable etc.

14 Likes

It also appears to be linked to a space.
So basically, card payments from a pot would be Monzo’s equivalent. God I want this functionality!

11 Likes

Brilliant idea! If Monzo could do this, it would be a great way to introduce non-Monzo customers to “the world of Monzo” and maybe get some convertees?!

2 Likes

Where did you see this? :thinking:
If thats the case Starling have really taken a step up on monzo in my eyes.

Next up being able to switch this in app on command would mean spending straight from a holiday pot etc would be so easy.

3 Likes

It’s in the Starling App under Spaces. Won’t let me screenshot as it’s blocked :+1:

4 Likes

For other non-starling users if they’re curious.

17 Likes

That’s cool.

1 Like

This would be really nice for business accounts (even if there was a one-time fee to order the extra cards) as you can now give out “expense” cards to employees and limit their spending. This would put competitor solutions (I think Expend.io offers a card too) out of business pretty much immediately as Starling being a bank (and already having the infrastructure for cards) can deliver a much more competitive offer.

4 Likes