Starling Discussion & Feedback

Could be used for so many things this really, child spending cards e.t.c.

Didnā€™t even think of that use case.

That would be really useful.

Nice to see Starling innovate for a change rather than follow suit.

7 Likes

Yeah exactly, pretty sure this would make goHenry lose alot of its customers at what Ā£2.95 an account isnt it?

Wonder how this will show in app though in the space view.

2 Likes

Is it completely free?

Is the first thing Starling have ever done thatā€™s made me look up from Monzo and go hey thatā€™s cool that makes me slightly interested.

2 Likes

Itā€™s free :+1:

1 Like

This is excellent, and looks really nicely implemented.

2 Likes

Yeah looks to be free.

Maybe Starlingā€™s way of helping the vulnerable at this time.

Could potentially be a charged for feature in the future id assume as its definitely a chargeable feature in my eyes.

1 Like

Big presumption on my end but betting it wont be for long after the coronavirus stuff settles down. Even still, seems like something people would be happy to pay a one off fee for

Iā€™d be happy with a one-time fee when ordering (or replacing) the additional card. Anything else (like a commission on the amount spent) would make it a non-starter for me and I think a lot of people as well. When I needed a separate card I would just give out my Curve card (and set it to forward to my Starling card) and I believe Curve is still free on the basic tier, so it canā€™t be too expensive otherwise people will fall back to workarounds like this.

1 Like

Yeah i think that would be the way to go for me also.

I wonder if the physical card will have any visual differences.

I was tempted to get one to play around with (and discover its limitations - does it work abroad? If so this could be a great option for people with families abroad to be able to ā€œsendā€ money easily given the lack of FX fees) but maybe Iā€™ll give it a couple of weeks and let the people who need them for their coronavirus-related ā€œtrusted shoppersā€ get them first.

Or only bring the extra card on holiday so you donā€™t need to worry about card cloning

1 Like

Wrote myself a cheque from my old natwest account I never use for Ā£1.50 to test out cheque imaging

lets see what happens

Just got the Starling email about the conncted card - sounds super interesting.

Itā€™s interesting that the marketing behind it has an ā€œisolationā€ angle to it - wonder how long itā€™s been in the pipeline.

This looks really good, and the description and limits are straightforward too. I hope this is a permanent feature- very handy in these times

2 Likes

Only on a personal account. Just checked in joint no option

Iā€™d say its been in the pipeline for a while as they have been teasing that they have a better implementation of bills pots incoming for a while.

Iā€™d say they just seen a way to release their progress made on this to date to fit a small niche need at the moment with also getting some nice press also perhaps. win win

2 Likes

Yes my initial thought was that this linked debit card is the beginnings of Starlingā€™s ā€˜Bills Potsā€™ implementation which Anne teased.

Anyway, Iā€™ve ordered my card for the lodger to buy food whilst Iā€™m working long hours at my workplace right now.

5 Likes

Well done Starling for launching this linked card :+1: :+1: :+1:
Whilst at the moment, it is aimed at helping people affected by the current situation
(and I commend them for that) this really does have loads of potential.

I will be keeping a close eye on development of this product, but as others have said, will also hold back on ordering one so they can get them to people who need them more than me can get theirs quicker.

I donā€™t get the option in App yet. Have they changed the UI around Spaces generally?

Just had a look online, seems restricted to physical shops only - wonder if theyā€™ll brind Virtual cards in fully for online transactions.