Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Android app far behind ios version

Tenuous Starling link, but nothing that affects Starling today.

Cheers! I didn’t know there was a Fintech Wales, so that gives me something to read for later on. Interesting to see prominent financial services companies popping up here --Wealthify being one that springs to mind…

2 Likes

I know it’s been a while since the change but my card needed replacing after a few years and I’ve got one of the ‘new’ ones with the black text on the back. I previously had the green one but with white text on the back.

The front looks great but the black text on the back is a bit too ‘constrasty’ for my liking. Because of the printing method it’s a bit spidery as well.

Missed this a week ago, but Starling is gearing up for another funding round.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that the black text doesn’t look quite right.

I had an original Starling purple card, which I kept until it expired; it was then replaced with a teal and black-text one.

I do quite like the new card but I think the white text looked better - I have only seen that in photos though, never in person. I still think the original design was my favourite of the three variants (now there is even a new fourth variant which has been used in marketing showing “world elite” on the card), but I do understand that it was probably considered insufficiently distinctive for a fintech.

1 Like

Talk of acquisitions too. Anyone want to guess who they’ll buy?!

Bet we’ll have never heard of them. It’ll probably be some very “worthy” addition to the business tooling or something behind the scenes. Which is all perfectly fine, but it won’t be that exciting

1 Like

You don’t like Starling, do you? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If that is what you take from that, then so be it

I wonder if the world elite “show-off” is a subtle suggestion of imminent premium accounts?

Personally, I don’t think it’s related (even though I do expect some kind of premium packaged account to appear relatively soon anyway).

Monzo cards are also world elite, and it just allows for certain things that card issuers can choose to turn on if they want, plus some extra processing improvements for the bank when dealing with Mastercard (as I understand it).

It’s not really the badge of honour that the name might suggest.

Edit: I got some of this wrong, Monzo cards are actually World Debit - see below.

2 Likes

Only plus/premium - the others are just world debit. World elite requires more travel related things to be offered to customers.

It’d be good to have some visibility into the matrix of required offerings for each tier. Is this published, @erincandescent @rika?

Sorry, of course you are correct!

I read that post a while ago and that’s where I got my information from, but with the similar-sounding names I just forgot the right title for Monzo cards.

I should have checked and looked it up.

2 Likes

It’s nearly 1am, I’ll cut you some slack.

2 Likes

Hallelujah!!

6 Likes

Just set this up. Fantastic, looks great. Finally an iPad-native app, rather than a zoomed iPhone one.

3 Likes

To be fair, I wouldn’t describe the previou version as zoomed (cough Instagram!!!) but portrait only was definitely far from ideal.

It’s lovely to finally have a two pane transaction view.

2 Likes

I’ve always been skeptical when looking at Starling but this is the final nail in the coffin for me to finally open a Starling account. Online banking, post office deposits and a native iPad app, excellent!

3 Likes

And if they ever matched their pots with direct debits then they might just be a serious Monzo contender.

5 Likes