Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Glad you like it, but I don’t think Starling will pinch your phrase for marketing purposes. :joy:

4 Likes

This always feels like the one must have feature everyone mentions for Monzo.

1 Like

I think it’d be a great feature to have though, it’s not gimmicky. The budgeting features really mean nothing to me but this is something I’d love to see Starling implement.

Totally agree. It’s a feature I’ve been asking Starling about for the past 6 months and their response has always been, you’ll know when we know, which is why I joined Monzo in the end. It’s so handy being able to put certain bills into a certain pot and know it’s covered from that pot. This way, any money I have left I know is mine.

1 Like

There’s a convenient workaround while you are waiting.

Use Monzo as your Starling ‘bills pot’ so that all of your Starling balance is money left to spend. Or vice versa

4 Likes

Kinda defeats the object really but I can see your thinking here.:+1:

1 Like

Exactly. It’s a work around. It would be better if there was one bank that did everything you want. It seems that such a bank doesn’t yet exist. Until then…

It’s what I’m currently doing with Santander and Monzo. Salary into and bills out of Santander, spending money to Monzo, balance at end of month to savings.

3 Likes

Free cash deposits, free worldwide cash withdrawals, in-app digital cheque imaging, 24/7 support… and you don’t even consider Starling to be a “serious Monzo contender”? :thinking:

12 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, they do have the advantage here and this one feature would be the final nail that makes those that want the “all round package” jump ship.

1 Like

They are a definite contender, I think its hard to deny that.

Personally Monzo’s UI is just alot better than Starling’s for me and would take alot to sway me to be using it everyday.

2 Likes

I must be an anomaly, because I much prefer the Starling UI. It is clean and completely free of Plus ads. Even the desktop view is nice to use.

16 Likes

Weren’t Starling working on something better than bill pots at one point? I know they are launching additional current account for £2pm and a better version of the connected card also for £2pm, are these their solutions to bill pots?

1 Like

I do wonder if they’re a bit desperate to not be seen to just ‘follow Monzo’ on this feature they’re trying to reinvent the wheel on this and trying to come up with a unique approach is what’s causing the delay.

I don’t think this is even a Monzo ‘exclusive’ feature - I’m sure there’s others (possibly even one of the big four’?) banks that also have a similar service?

I just extremely dislike the chart first approach instead of showing me the feed and find their font to be a little too comic sansey

3 Likes

I kinda like the feature to see your budget chart things first, gives a nice broad view where moneys are going.

1 Like

I think this is where Monzo have done really well with marketing. All the high street banks technically offer bill pots via instant access savings accounts. At Lloyds and Santander for example I set up two of three savings accounts and set all my direct debits/standing orders to come out of them. Never had a problem or missed payment.

As for Starling, I agree that there is a degree of not wanting to look like they are copying Monzo. Be interesting to see how the additional accounts affect the UI.

2 Likes

I have it confirmed on Twitter that this is something they are working on as it is a much requested feature. They just can’t put a timeframe on it just yet.

1 Like

Not HSBC

I don’t have any experience with HSBC, so no idea. I’ll take back the all high street banks, as no doubt there will be others that it doesn’t work on.

2 Likes

Can’t recall if anyone has posted it yet but here’s the new beta nav. for the Starling app.

Personally think it looks great - it replaces both the left and right top menu’s with a single integrated one in the top right (first pic) which loads up what you see in following pics. No pushing of additional paid-for accounts, I see ;). It’s hidden away in the simple ‘Open new account’ section.

5 Likes