Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

A place to discuss the latest Starling Bank news.

Starting with this: branches?

2 Likes

Well thatā€™s interestingā€¦ could it be a pop up marketing type thing rather than a full fledged permanent branch?

3 Likes

I cannot see the point of this at all. I agree that it more than likely a pop up thing (maybe at a tube station of something)

1 Like

Intriguing, isnā€™t it?

I originally thought it might be a part on words or something (like Monzoā€™s ā€œonly branches are on GitHubā€ thing) but Iā€™m not sure what that could be.

All the replies are taking it at face value, thoughā€¦

Prediction- pop up shop in a wooden shed like the ads

Coz marketing

1 Like

Ok, some off-beat ideas:

• First international expansion (branching out overseas)?
  • A different brand or something (the company branching out)?
  • Another product? Everything has been flavours of current account so far. So a different product branch: credit card? Mortgage?

Feels a very odd time to open a physical branch. And I canā€™t see how a pop up would work with social distancing. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I canā€™t see this being a physical branch. Will be interesting to see what theyā€™re referring to.

6 Likes

I am intrigued myself so I guess watch this spaceā€¦

1 Like

The hashtag seems to imply a new direction or department in the business not an actual bank branch.

But if it is then Iā€™m guessing a self service machine to deposit cash and cheques.

2 Likes

New(ish) logo as well. Looks like theyā€™re capitalising on reaching profitability, weā€™ve seen a flurry of new products recently. I hope we see a redesign of the front page of their app, itā€™s the only part about their service I donā€™t like. A list of transactions would be more useful than a pie chart, IMHO.

1 Like

It has to be said, Starling are impressing lately.

8 Likes

Like another poster, above, I think it will be more figurative speech, and that theyā€™re branching out towards a new product.

Physical branches would be a Metro move, and I donā€™t see that happening.

2 Likes

Updated by them

We told you weā€™re #BranchingOut. And we areā€¦

Every time you refer a friend, Starling will plant a tree. Just another way weā€™re changing banking for good.

Weā€™ve partnered with Trillion Trees, a joint venture for forest protection made up of three of the worldā€™s largest conservation organisations: BirdLife International, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and World Wildlife Fund (WWF).

More to come very soon! Oh sorry, did you think we meant something else? :smirk:

#BranchingOut

13 Likes

well it certainly got the Monzo community forum going :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Starling bank coffee shop maybe?

1 Like

Nice call, Starling.

1 Like

:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

Lots of ā€˜em. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Iā€™ve thought before that itā€™s odd that Starling and Monzo donā€™t open a pop-up shop, somewhere with high footfall with staff to advise on the benefits of opening an account.

Would be odd during a pandemic, mind you.

Initially I thought this was along the lines of Starlingā€™s EU license, branching out in different markets.

But trees are great. Stealing Bunqā€™s thunder.

Starling really is killing it right now.

4 Likes

Just to be clear, they mean this organisation

Not to be confused with the crazy greenwashing by salesforce and others, which is also called trillion treesā€¦

1 Like

Wait itā€™s 1st April again? Wild how Corona makes the year fly by so fast.

1 Like