Specs of your Gaming Machines?

Just a general place to talk about different Tech Specs of Gaming / Work Machines.

What gaming machines do you have and what specs!

My Personal Machine:
Intel Core i7-8700K
RTX 3090
128GB DDR4 Ram
2TB M.2 SSD (OS & Apps)
1TB SATA SSD (Steam Library)
4TB HDD (General Storage)
Blu-Ray Drive

Steam Deck OLED 1TB.

1 Like

Mine:
8-Core AMD Zen 2 CPU
AMD RDNA 2
10GB GDDR6 RAM
512GB NVME SSD
1TB NVME SSD

I usually use an Apple MacStudio M1 Max to game (the games I like are on Mac).

If I need Windows for gaming, Iā€™ll use:

Intel Core i5-13600K
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB (I needed a tiny GPU, and its a rough 3060 equivalent).
56GB DDR4 RAM (Randomly 56GB as I had some spare I threw in from 32GB)
30GB Boot Flash (Unraid OS)
2TB M.2 SSD (Windows OS & Gaming)
22TB HDD (Media/File Server)

Mine is getting on nowt, but reluctant to upgrade as Iā€™ll be moving to a MacBook for the portability once the Lightfall DLC for Destiny 2 is released (eventually). Current setup can play most stuff at high/max settings as my current monitor is only 2560x1080 60Hz anyway.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (OC to 4GHz)
Corsair AIO 240mm Cooler
ASUS RTX 2060 Dual OC something or other
Pair of Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSDs
32GB DDR4 RAM

AMD Ryzen 7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

Mine needs updating/replacing as the CPU is very old, but it holds up well to this date:

Intel core i7 5960x
16gb 2400mhz ddr4 ram (the board is from when ddr4 first came about)
Gigabyte x99 UD4
And Vega 56 gpu

I was persuaded by an ex friend to get an X99 based system as it was ā€œenthusiastā€ shouldā€™ve stuck with consumer stuff

Hopefully this will be getting upgraded by the end of the year:

i5-6600k (OCā€™d to 4.5 ghz) in a Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
16 GB RAM
EVGA 1080FTW2

And many many tbā€™s of hard drive space to store all my microscope images :sweat_smile:

I did recently upgrade to Fractal Design Torrent case from my Meshifyā€¦

I havenā€™t taken pictures of the Torrent yet :pensive:

3 Likes

I purposefully didnā€™t include pictures as my PC Is a mess cable wise so I will feel embarrassed to share pictures

:sweat_smile: sorry a bit braggy of me but I find doing the cable routing really therapeutic so obviously put a lot of effort into making it look :ok_hand:t4:Hence the desire to share.

With the move to the Fractal Torrent I got rid of the Corsair PSU and now have a Fractal Ion with their super flexible cables. Only annoyance with them is theyā€™re black. I miss the red!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think youā€™re bragging it looks wonderful. I just havenā€™t invested the time to do it properly because I reconfigure my system a lot when I built it. I just donā€™t have the patience to cable manage it :rofl:

1 Like

My first system was like this. I reconfigured it all the time and kept messing with fan placement etc while I was getting to grips with over clocking and having a play with how air was flowing through the system. Since building the system I posted pictures of Iā€™ve not needed to spend much time reconfiguring. Most of my tinkering was in the BIOS or adding SSDā€™s for storage :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Favourite ever hardware: Stadia controller (white) & Chromecast Ultra (home), Stadia controller (blue) & Chrome on laptop or phone (travelling) - unbeatable minimalist power-gaming experience anywhere.

Current mobile hardware: i5 laptop running either keyboard/mouse for local games or Stadia controller (Bluetooth enabled) with Xbox Cloud Gaming on Edge.

Current stuck-at-home hardware: Xbox Series S & Xbox One S ( :arrow_backward: coz Minecraftā€¦)

I tend to steer clear of PC-builds now. Been there, done that & paid for it dearly. But I do admire the efforts of meticulous internal wiring runs, elegant RGB lighting (difficult to pull off) and liquid cooling solutions.

Attitude to gaming then: buy, buy, buy, speed, speed, speed
Attitude to gaming now: KISS :cloud:

1 Like

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Zen 4 CPU
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB SSD
Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive
AMD Motherboard
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz DDR5
GeForce RTX 4080
Corsair ICUE H150i Elite Capellix 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Bit of a monster, almost a year old now, was a fun day unlocking that Monzo Pot to splurge on that after 5 years of saving!

1 Like

I had to get rid of my iCue H150i and put on the stock cpu cooler as it just randomly stopped working after about 18 months.

1 Like

Same.

I used to be all in. Building custom gaming rigs from scratch etc. But then ā€˜lifeā€™ happened and now I donā€™t have anywhere near that amount of time.

So, currently:

Work - Dell laptop :frowning: (Used to be mac, loved it, but also used to be Thinkpad, love them)
Home - Xbox One S which when itā€™s not being used as the TV, I get to go on. Mostly Flight sim these days.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would also prefer to get a pre-built custom gaming PC, even if it is a bit more expensive, We just have little time these days, because ā€œlifeā€

2 Likes

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GTX 1080Ti
32GB DDR4 RAM
MSI MAG B550 MOBO

• quite a few SSDs (lost track of what they are all are! I think itā€™s 8TB in total of SSD space)

It could do with a new graphics card at some point, but I game a lot less now and the 1080 is doing me fine for what I do and I have other things to spend money on.

I had a look for a friend about a year ago who wanted a new PC and the issue was that pre-built was really quite a bit more expensive. He was looking at a Ā£1500 system, we built a slightly better system for Ā£1000. Plus we built the computer in about 2 hours.

Iā€™d go pre-built if it was Ā£100 more or so, but seems to always be a lot more than that and Iā€™m never sure why or if Iā€™m just looking in the wrong places.

2 Likes

Building your own to me is also just a lot more satisfying. My first PC was a pre built Dell and while it was good enough it was a dead end for any incremental upgrades over it life. I always think if you spec up right you build a system that you can incrementally upgrade over it life to keep t relevant and then not have to do a big old rebuild.

Although, I my current case thatā€™s what I have to do and why Iā€™ve let my PC get so out of date. Iā€™m glad to see AMD is competitive again and the fact they commit a bit longer term to CPU sockets means you can at least have an upgrade pathā€¦

1 Like