Sorted my mortgage out today šŸ˜€

So my landlord offered to sell me the property I am currently renting as he is moving to Spain in the near future.

After spending a fortune in solicitor fees and valuation fees etc I am finally on the property ladder :muscle::grinning:

Finally not paying into someone elseā€™s retirement fund

Anyone want to send me a penny as a congrats haha

Jokes :wink:

Reason for the post, i think Ive got everything covered what additional fees should I expect

Building and contents insuranceā€¦

10 Likes

Congratulations.

Not sure what other fees you may get. But massive congrats on jumping onto the ladder.

Congrats! How many years you will repay?

Depends on on my pennies I receive :yum: haha its a 15 year mortgage

Congrats!

Yup, buildings and contents insurance,
The best energy deal you can find.
The best broadband deal you can find - use comparison sites.
If your house doesnā€™t have a water meter and you live alone, it may well be cheaper to have a meter, provided free in England and Wales but you have to pay for installation in Scotland and apparently it isnā€™t cheap. We bought a new build and a water meter was fitted at build.
If you have gas central heating, make sure you get the boiler serviced if it hasnā€™t been done for a while. Youā€™d be amazed at just how many people never bother getting the boiler serviced.
Consider changing the locks, you have absolutely no idea just who might have a spare key to the property.
Donā€™t forget to get your mail redirected for up to six months from your previous address. I did mine for a year. You have to pay I think, but thereā€™s piece of mind private mail wonā€™t go missing. Consider joining the Mailing Preference Service to stop junk mail coming through the door. Any mail through the door for previous occupants, just write Return to Sender addressee not known, and shove it back in the nearest postbox. I promise you, mail for previous occupants will soon stop because companies donā€™t like paying for the return postage.
Make sure youā€™re on the Electoral Roll. It helps with your credit rating believe it or not. You have an option not to appear on the Open Register, Iā€™m personally not registered on the Open Register.

4 Likes

You donā€™t need a water meter in scotland? Our water is free (we have LOADS of it!) :wink:

1 Like

Itā€™s not free, itā€™s included in council tax.

1 Like

You donā€™t need a meter installed.

Yes you donā€™t have to but the water isnā€™t free, itā€™s included in your council tax as a fixed cost. You can do the same in England if you choose to (but still paid independent of council tax)

I was responding to this factā€¦ thanks for the extra clarification.

With regards to what @anon47498122 advised I generally go to Money Saving Expert. They can get good deals on things and then will check price comparison sites.

Join his Energy Club and they will scan all the tariffs out there and give you a list of options. You can also set it so that if a tariff becomes available that will save you so much per year they will notify you.

Building and Contents look online at comparison sites. We made the mistake of going with the deal our mortgage broker recommended but after sticking with it for two years, I looked for a different option and managed to get a deal combining them both and saving over Ā£700 a year!!

Again congrats!

2 Likes

Congratulations on the purchase! A word to the wise on the insurance frontā€¦ Make sure you check the cover being offered by the insurance providers - you pay for what you get. Some of the ā€œbetterā€ insurers arenā€™t on comparison sites. Also worth googling customer reviews before you take it out (trustpilot etc).

Good luck with homeownership!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.