So why haven't we got Joint Account parity?

Just one of those words I don’t like. Couldn’t tell you why! There’s no rational or logical reason for it. Joint is my moist I suppose!

2 Likes

Duel account any better?

5 Likes

Fight account?

3 Likes

Moist account?

6 Likes

:crossed_swords:

Dual account

:couple:

4 Likes

Oh yeah.

2 Likes

As to which truly represents marriage (to cite an expected use case for the product)….I’d best remain silent.

4 Likes

I feel like (as a younger person) there are still some good use cases.

I actually opened mine with my partner whilst we still lived with some other friends and used it to pay for all of the household bills. I managed all our utility accounts and was much happier having all those payments separate to my personal account.

We now live just the two of us and I still think it helps doing our shared DDs out of it.

I’m not familiar with the N26 approach but sounds like that could be just as good? Either way, I think there’s value in keeping my personal account personal.

1 Like

Yeah definitely! For me personally, I find the concept makes me uncomfortable, and I would have thought more people my age would feel similar, but perhaps I’m just odd or selfish, or have commitment/trust/control issues! :laughing:

My bills are my own, and I’d rather keep them that way. If it’s a bill for something that’s shared, I’ll use the split the bill feature. But by keeping them just mine, they’re ring-fenced, safeguarded, and I can guarantee they’ll be paid. It’s probably my favourite feature in Monzo these days, but it irks me when I’m paid back, but they didn’t pay me via the bill split request so it doesn’t register! Think that’s something for Monzo to fix tho.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, joint accounts report to credit agencies for both of ya which is why I have one with my housemate :sweat_smile:

1 Like

See this is why I don’t want one. I don’t like that it pairs me with someone in an area I’m already not fully comfortable with (private US firms having my data and causing life changing decisions for me).

I’ve never had any issues with just splitting things up. My partner pays our rent; I transfer him the money each month minus half our bills which all come from my account.

4 Likes

It’s a mix of 1,2,3,5 & 7, with the mix initially created mostly by 1

It still ‘works’ now, still as the MVP it was at launch over 3 years ago. Developing it is clearly a large task. I still believe bringing JA’s to parity with PA’s isn’t possible because of the fundamental underlying design of having a user at the top-level with financial accounts tied to the user level. Joint Accounts demand the reverse of this architecture.

Starling have the same problem. Or used to… I don’t have a Starling account because of this. If Starling did have a ‘working’ JA, I’d be trying it.

4 Likes

That’s exactly how me and my fella sort it.

Makes life less complicated and both have a responsibility, I’d never want a joint account.

Though this did prove annoying with referencing for a new property recently because he pays the rent, and they used open banking for him to confirm rent payments they didn’t need a reference from purple bricks, but they did for me and it took an age.

3 Likes

Well my thoughts on landlords using open banking are also quite clear :laughing:

I’m becoming so old and grumpy :angry:

2 Likes

My parents always had their own accounts. I think my dad, being the main earner, was always wary it might look or feel like financial control so they always kept separate accounts and split the money between them as it came in.

For me though, we’ve moved to a joint account with both our incomes going in. Both of our incomes go up and down so having a single place to see how much money we have is easier. We share a mortgage and most expenses are joint as are our savings.

Whatever works for both of you I reckon.

1 Like

But the point is, they’re not. Lots of couples will have unequal salaries, especially if one person is part time hours or out of work to look after the family. Indeed, in such a situation, the person with the lower income may do more of the spending if it also falls on them to do much of the shopping or childcare. The income, the bills, the spending, are all shared by the family.

Not all relationships work like this, especially if both parties are on similar wages with no kids, but many do, and that’s why people want joint accounts.

Monzo used to pride themselves on being careful with technical debt, but unfinished implementations seem to be everywhere you look in the app these days.

10 Likes

When going through the open banking process, when you put your employer in it showed me the list of transactions that it would solely share via the platform which was my income, it was the same process for the rental payments for my partner.

I got no suspicions that it showed anything else other than the above, which was a surprise as I thought it would show everything :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree but on the other side of it. You know they’ll be paid but your partner doesn’t, if they are still all paid from your account.

I’d be fine with this if I was the one doing the paying, as I am currently (JA once moved) but if my girlfriend said “I want the visibility and the safety of knowing” then I wouldn’t be as comfortable with it. Not because I don’t trust her to pay it, but I’d want to see it too.

For us the JA will be bills and food. Then any left overs goes to house DIY, a takeaway etc etc. I see this changing as progress through life and maybe have a family, that more money goes into here.

Then we both have our own money to do as we wish. I think this will work better for us, rather than it seeming unfair because someone spent £200 at Apple from the joint account but the other person spent £50 a month for the last 4 months at Jack Wills and trying to keep track so you’re not spending more than the other person.

But as has been proven many times on here, people use their accounts, pots, joint accounts or whatever in very different ways. What I’ve just described may match someone else and some may be horrified at it.

Virtual card for a joint account would be very helpful for us though.

4 Likes

I totally get that with unequal salaries but I honestly don’t know anyone who does anything but split evenly with bills, regardless of income.

When me and my partner were finding an apartment we went with double the lower monthly spend for rent between the two of us.

Though I do see the merit in splitting according to salary I don’t know many who do. Interesting concept though.

2 Likes

We split it so that have about the same disposable income. If we were to split it all 50/50 then I would have plenty left over and my girlfriend not so much.

Otherwise I think we’d get to the stage of me just paying for meals out etc because she wouldn’t be able to afford anything extra.

But as I said above, this is a complex area and everyone does it differently. No judgement on what works for some and not for others.

6 Likes