Simon's Life Updates

Just discovered this topic now, great to read some personal updates @simonb !
Still miss your forum additions as a Monzo insider :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If anyone wants to see what a live listening party on We Are Giant looks like, join this one today at 7pm! You can either use the web link below, or download the iOS app and join The B-Side channel.

https://wearegiant.com/space/bside/listening-party/012b3905-d309-4ec2-838e-d4fe51baa759

I remember how chuffed you were to go to a Paisley Park. Good pilgrimage ingredients

1 Like

This year, I was asked to speak on a panel there - I finally got to be on Prince’s stage! Life goal unlocked for sure.

3 Likes

The news keeps rolling in! This time about We Are Giant :slight_smile: As you can probably tell, I’m pretty busy at the moment :joy:

3 Likes

Another great article today!

A final 2023 update from Sutro, written by yours truly. Check it out folks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey all! How’s 2024 treating everyone so far?

So after some strategic changes at the company, I’m no longer working at WAG sadly. Thread title updated to suit. It’s a shame but it is what it is and life goes on.

Luckily things are going from strength to strength at Sutro, and we are achieving some pretty amazing things. We onboarded a significant amount of paying customers in the last few months, and are rocketing towards our next funding round.

I wrote a new blog post - a little more on some technical updates we made to improve the speed of AI generated web apps!

Wishing everyone a happy rest of January and onward :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I missed this thread until now somehow, Sutro looks really interesting.

1 Like

I have some more news! :raised_hands: :fire: :rocket:

8 Likes

A product I just don’t understand. What can it do that my phone (which I already own) can’t?

Please help with their marketing too! I have seen adverts for it which don’t even explain what it is or why I need one.

That said though, congratulations on the gig!

4 Likes

Yep, I completely agree. And that’s a problem given the disparity between our backgrounds that we discovered with AI copy thing from the other company leaving us with vastly different impressions. If anyone should be understanding it, it should at the very least be someone like me.

I saw Microsoft’s CEO liken it to Steve Jobs and the iPhone launch. I can only assume he took LSD that day.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that, but I’m intrigued by it. Sure, the iPhone was fairly revolutionary by the standards of the time. But I’m inclined to agree with you and call hyperbole on the comparison now.

It’s a “wearable smartphone” which I suspect might have a niche market in places where you can’t use hands. I’m thinking nuclear sites, food manufacturing etc.

I can’t see this taking off in a social setting but hey, who knows.

It’s a familiar colour :wink: although stated as ‘leuchtorange’

Very intrigued by this. The first ‘Her’ device that seems to work better than the Humane AI Pin. It’s £161 plus shipping with a lot of promise. Might. Just. Goforit.

Push-to-talk is great when on person - but it needs integration with hands-free (e.g. cars) somehow to work properly day-to-day. Lots of scope though. Need another Physical SIM/plan to use for full effect.

2 Likes

Now that’s an AI product I get. I understand what it does. I understand why they made and what they hope to achieve.

If I were in the market for AI hardware, that’s the one I’d be looking to spend my money on.

This one is a lot a cheaper but I don’t understand the what, let alone the why!

1 Like

Congrats. Maybe I just need educating - but I really don’t get this product. Especially with Apple rumoured to be adding AI to Siri in their next update. The examples they’ve used in their marketing don’t make sense to me - calling an Uber for instance, there’s usually a reason why there are a few steps on the phone (is the next Uber close enough so you don’t have to wait ages, is it the card you want to use, precise current location (the gps isn’t always accurate) etc.

If this product exists in 5 years time, I’ll eat my hat.

4 Likes

I don’t get either product to be honest

Five years is a long time. Maybe set a reminder to buy a hat made from cake, just to be safe.

2 Likes

I don’t get it either. How would “move money to a Monzo pot” work for example if you didn’t have a smart phone and only used Rabbit. I’m a child, Rabbit Hole made me chuckle :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I’ll respond properly when I get a chance (y’all know I never shy away from critical feedback lol) but just had to drop this in.

Think Tony Fadell might know a thing or two about consumer tech gadgets since he literally invented the iPod lol

r1 is just the beginning. a lot more to come

1 Like