Share your money-saving tips!

I should have said my card is the NUS extra/ISIC card, though I haven’t used it in Europe yet.

I did a Microsoft course with e-careers bought through a go-groupie offer.

I’m no spring chicken, but the tellers at the local cinema haven’t even done a double take when I walk in with a student ticket :wink:

It is fun to ask shops if they do student discount though!

(I would like to do a course that would be accredited for unidays though, there are many more discounts available)

1 Like

Travel money-saving tip alert! :train2:
Apparently, Skyscanner is letting everyone look for cheap train tickets on their app now :hot_coral_heart:

3 Likes

NUS also allows you to get your amazon prime account at 1/2 price… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And 6 months free trial!

Aye, indeed… I didn’t mention that as wasn’t sure if that was still running. :slight_smile:

Do “cheap” train tickets exist? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yes, but I can’t remember in which country :wink:

2 Likes

Before you click add to basket on that item you want from Amazon, firstly check to see if they have any ‘used’ items advertised for sale by Amazon Warehouse on that same listing.

Items that I’ve bought dirt cheap from Amazon Warehouse which were in perfect condition albeit not always in original packaging include: tower fan, food processor, compact camera and camera accessories

You even get fuss free returns as well which is an added bonus for extra peace of mind :v:

2 Likes

Students can be of any shape, age and size! I use my NUS for that free cheeseburger to go with my extra value meal (large). The card came in handy when I visited all the touristy places in Barcelona, managed to get a concession on all the entry tickets :grinning:

3 Likes

Use services that alert you when things you want are on offer.

I use camelcamelcamel for most of my Amazon purchases, both to check the price history, and to get notified when something I want (rather than need) drops below a certain threshold. And quite often, waiting that long makes me realise that I didn’t actually want the thing in the first place, saving even more.

Similarly, I use CheapCharts for notifications about (mainly) films I’d like to buy, but only if they’re cheap.

Fellow 3 mobile network users, “Wuntu” is a massive money saver. Cineworld, Costa, Dominoes, Rakuten, discounts on dining out, etc have saved me a small fortune.

Furthermore, “Go Binge” means I can watch unlimited Netflix on my mobile without using my own data allowance :vulcan_salute:

P.S. Who’s on 3? What do other networks offer that comes close to competing with these offers?

Also worth checking the ‘new’ listings from the marketplace in case the manufacturer of the item has their own listing their cheaper than the Amazon listing (for example, if you’re looking for an Eureka DVD/Blu-Ray, ‘bestmediagroup’ is the name they sell under on marketplace).

Or, in the case of books, check what The Book Depository is selling the book for through marketplace - it can be a lower price than Amazon (and also often, bizarrely, lower than the price on their own site).

in my case coverage and speed, 4g roaming

1 Like

Been with Three longer than I remember! Love them!

Awesome & likewise! I’m on a great 12GB sim-only contract @ £14/month :ok_hand: Do you use Wuntu btw? If not, you’re seariously missing out on more reasons to love them.

It’s funny how a mobile network spends their time & money on irrelevant loyalty schemes like these… I would expect them to you know, invest in network reliability and build something innovative they’d be proud of.

In any case watch out for the privacy implications of this - the only reason they’re giving away free stuff is because they get a lot more back from sharing your personal details with “partners” (partners in crime that is :joy:).

2 Likes

Irrelevant?! Loyalty ensures repeat custom which in the case of Wuntu & Go Binge is a mutual benefit i.e. 3 guarantee my cash flows of £14 a month & in return I get, not only, a quality service, but regular free (or £3) cinema tickets, free 7 inch Dominoes, free Costa coffee, discounted dining out, entry to win awesomeness prizes, etc.

There’s being cynical and then there’s pessimism :smile: I understand where you’re coming from with this whole Cambridge Analytica scandal focusing more people on privacy, but it’s overblown.

Three are transparent in how I can control my privacy settings in-app & the data I share is used to optimise the offers I receive (as well as to build a better Wuntu app for all users). Therefore, I am comfortable sharing my data as I’m clued up on what it’s used for.

imageimage

1 Like

Three are transparent in how I can control my privacy settings in-app

Are you actually sure? I would bet good money that the second you sign into “Wuntu” you give your personal details (as in name, address, phone number) and soul away to the devil (described on page 59 of the terms of service). Otherwise it just wouldn’t make any sense to offer all that free stuff, they’d be making a loss.

You seem extremely paranoid about privacy of which I’m not. I’ve shown the screenshots where I can toggle permissions as I see fit. I understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but I also understand that I’m willing to trade off the benefits of sharing some of my data (often aggregated & anonymised) in return for higher utility. If I had your mindset in this Big Data economy, I’d have to be a recluse to function.

The details Wuntu have are no more than 3 already have. If you want to investigate what egregious harm Wuntu is causing me, then by all means do so & get back to me with something concrete that I don’t already know. If not, I reiterate that I’m better off with Wuntu than without from both a savings & leisure perspective.

I pay for 3, they reinvest some of their profits into Wuntu, which increases the likelihood of repeat custom & may well attract new users, both which help Three’s bottom line. Therefore, looking at the bigger picture, this simply makes sense for Three the same way the revolutionary Tesco Clubcard made a whole heap of sense for them.

3 Likes

You seem extremely paranoid about privacy of which I’m not.

Yes because I’ve been on the other side before (worked for this shitty industry) and I know how it works behind the scenes. Trust me, there is no free lunch. In fact, they might be reselling your personal data anyway but there’s a little chance they don’t - by signing up to such loyalty programs you throw away whatever chance that was.

I’ve shown the screenshots where I can toggle permissions as I see fit

Except the TOS already allow them full access to your account’s data. These options, if they even do anything, would prevent them from getting updated data (like your latest location) but you’ve already given away plenty with just what’s mentioned in the TOS.

The details Wuntu have are no more than 3 already have.

I’m not talking about Three - them having your data is a reasonable requirement for providing you service. I’m talking about the hundreds of “partners” (in crime) the data goes do, which are badly vetted (if vetted at all), have awful data security practices and no clear opt-out mechanism (what happens if you no longer want to be part of the deal?). Those “partners” will no doubt also pass the info on to their partners (sometimes involuntarily, under some bullshit that gives them plausible deniability should they go to court, like a software bug)

I pay for 3, they reinvest some of their profits into Wuntu, which increases the likelihood of repeat custom & may well attract new users, both which help Three’s bottom line

If we count what the offers they give you would cost and your monthly bill you would realise they are literally giving you more than what you’re paying, which make no sense from a business perspective. In reality the reason they give that is because the data collection not only pays for the offers but even gives Three a cut, otherwise they wouldn’t bother implementing such a system.

1 Like