Setting the record straight on our crowdfunding round

There’s an old school idea that everything to do with finance or investing should be very matter of fact with no room for humour or personality. If you stray from that line, or do not treat money with the reverence it deserves, you’re being irresponsible. Times change but apparently The Times doesn’t

3 Likes

“I hate bank branches. They smell and don’t serve avocado toast” - redshift

10 Likes

This tweet shows that some journalists could take anything said on this forum literally and without the context and twist it to support their misleading articles. In Trump’s words, Sad!

As users, I think we need to be a bit careful with words here and I people don’t like it but Monzo might have to be a bit more heavy-handed on forum moderation.

You can see why Starling did what they did.

3 Likes

I think people should be a bit careful in general, but I strongly disagree that people shouldn’t be allowed to joke on here or express an opinion in a civilised manner. Ultimately the quote was taken out of context (which any of our words could be to fit someones agenda) and I don’t think suddenly we should be dramatically trying to enforce stricter moderation on the community because of it. If it is a single post with no context or discussion around it it is one thing, but everything that was quoted was contained within a whole thread of conversation which I personally think the papers should have to link to.

10 Likes

That’s why I can’t buy a £200k house, because I’m spending £1.75 on packs of four avocados in Aldi…

4 Likes

I’ve deleted mine, Sorry.

1 Like

Cool - I’ve done the same.

Isn’t buying a house an investment? And don’t you take out a huge loan in order to do it?

“lights the fuse and runs …”

p.s. Please The Times, im sorry for speaking, do I have your permission to continue posting?

3 Likes

@anon10222739 Another famous Monzo user (you’ve got to laugh…)

3 Likes

Just throwing this in here.

Untitled

3 Likes

Now I just have this in mind

old

10 Likes

I wonder if he will quote that!

So this is where we are at now, huh? Mocking people who say things we don’t like, rather than countering their assertions with reason?

4 Likes

lol this is getting surreal now - quoted by “creepy old man” :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

How easily in terms legality is to amend the Monzo Prospectus because I would just suggest that Monzo Remove/ amend that Paragraph and redraft and republish, because at the moment the newspapers involved are small but I can only see that rising. Thereby removing any ambiguity surrounding the issue.
Also @Lhx its a very emotive issue so people will always maybe go a little above board to protect things they like

Twitter is buzzing;

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1068473327449198593

emotions and investment decisions should be kept very, very, very far apart.

5 Likes

But Monzo have said they aren’t going to tell their customers what they can spend their money on (including their overdraft).

Urgh, he’s missing the point. People are bemused that the Times article was worded like Monzo were actively encouraging it. The simple fact is that if you have an overdraft you could use it to buy shares. It’s not really their place to prevent something that is perfectly legal. Yes, it’s a silly idea to do so but they’ve provided all the material for people to make an informed decision.

4 Likes

Agreed! Makes me feel very uncomfortable. He is just a sad little man who will do anything for that pay check.

2 Likes