Selecting Multiple transactions and in general better transaction management

Let’s say you went abroad to Latvia. Monzo gave you a nice welcome message “Welcome to Latvia” then:

• you were there for 5 days.
  • you did 49 transactions for various things [eating out, taxi, money transfers etc]
  • You came back and Monzo announced "Your trip to Latvia, you spent £500

Now if you check your summary under “Holidays tab”, you only spent £35 out of those £500 or 5 out of 49 transactions

At the moment it would take number of clicks to do the task of adding the missing transactions to the "Holidays tab"

1. Open transaction
  2. Click on categories
  3. Select “Holidays”
  4. Press back button to see the next transaction.
    4*49 would be 196 clicks to finish this task which would be annoying to say the least.

It would be nice if you could multi select those 49 transactions and do various things with them like:

• add them to holiday tab.
  • deduct them from a pot
    Or do the reverse ^
  • split them with your partner in crime
  • request money for all of them or part of them from a non Monzo account.

Also a feature like this would work great with the built in search feature because at the moment I can search for “Latvia” or search for vendor names, but I cannot select all the transactions that show up from the search.

Other things would be nice as well like:

• grouping transactions together e.g. you paid and then split the bill so you don’t get multiple lines cluttering the main page
    monzo%20grouping%20exaple%20v2
    How is it at the moment on the left

I’ve thought a lot about selecting multiple transactions over the last few weeks, and I think there’s a really good case for adding some useful functionality to selecting transactions in the main feed.

The ones I’ve been thinking of (and sorry if this diverts your concept) is to withdraw money from pots. We have a holiday pot, and when we’re on holiday we go through and pull the money from the holiday pot as we spend it, so we don’t go overdrawn. Doing this in a multi select would be really handy: though even doing it within the transaction would be wonderful.

Also, when money comes into the wrong account, or is taken from the wrong account: not having to manually add the figures in a calculator (which normally means my wife calling numbers from her phone to me as I put them in my phone’s calculator!) Then do the transaction would feel a lot more slick.

I think the thing with these features, and surely what Monzo is trying to do, is find a way that is universal enough that it becomes an almost everyday useful feature so you know it’s there and actually use it. And as such I think multi select might be a good option. Not many days go by when I wouldn’t want to just multi select a few transactions and see what the total is, so if I could then do something else from there that would be helpful.

1 Like