Scam attempt but from a Monzo phone number (spoof?)

What did I miss? :eyes:

3 Likes

Halifax ring me once every few months, to try sell me some kind of insurance I think, despite me (as far as Iā€™m aware) ticking all the right boxes not to be contacted by phone, and repeatedly asking them to stop on the calls themselves in the past. If I could be bothered Iā€™d complain to the relevant authorities, but it is about the only call I get to my landline at this point so I just treat it as confirmation itā€™s still working and put the phone down on them. But they do call, and always say they are calling from Halifax and ask for me by name.

I also donā€™t think itā€™s true at all to say itā€™s ā€œwell knownā€ banks donā€™t call. If it was people wouldnā€™t fall for this and it would stop as the scammers would have no success and move to something else to scam.

1 Like

I wish I could say the same! Iā€™m getting as many as four scam calls a day (ā€˜Amazon,ā€™ roof insulation compensation, ā€˜BTā€™ā€¦). Iā€™ve signed up for the Telephone Preference Service but these lowlifes donā€™t have a problem stealing elderly peopleā€™s life savings so of course they donā€™t give a damn if Iā€™ve registered to not receive unwarranted calls. I donā€™t receive a single spam call on my mobile however, which is interesting.

1 Like

I believe that if theyā€™re calling from outside the UK then thatā€™s another way of bypassing the TPS.

I donā€™t use a landline myself, and although Iā€™m still concerned about older relatives, Iā€™ve at least managed to train them to screen calls with their answering service now (donā€™t pick up if they donā€™t recognise the number, call back to a known number rather than any number given if they claim to be the bank, HMRC, etc). Doesnā€™t stop them occasionally asking me if a call theyā€™ve had is legit, and the hardest part of that is trying to get them to tell me what the caller is actually saying and not just their summary of the message, which can make the difference between me being able to say ā€œThis is probably sussā€ and ā€œThis is definitely a scamā€, which matters because when I say the former they keep pestering me about it because I might be wrong :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Tell me about it - family tech support can be a full time job sometimes! The day my grandmother had been signed up for an online only bank account by the staff in her local branch, I wanted to shoot myself.

2 Likes

For a while where I got weekly calls on my mobile trying to sell me something like investment training.
They always said they were calling from a different company, but the script was always the same

(knock on wood) they seem to have dried up now

After all the hedge funds went bust over Gamestoop - I hope they have :smiley:

I feel like they should have congratulated you for that. You did the smart thing.

1 Like

Thanks! your post saved me.

I received a phone call yesterday from that number.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Just to let you know that I almost fell victim to this scam today. The scammer actually placed an Active Card Check for ā€œBird Appā€, which was suspicious so I froze the card. They then tried three transactions which failed.

An hour later, I got the call from the fake Monzo team on 0800 802 1218. They said theyā€™d detected fraud on my account and wanted my personal info. I just told them I didnā€™t believe they were Monzo and that Iā€™d call them directly instead, then hung up.

Itā€™s clear that my name, number, and card details were compromised somehow ā€“ and others too according to this thread. Iā€™ve blocked the card and taken other protective measures, but Iā€™d still be interested in the source of this scam, as it could do serious damage to less savvy customers out there.

5 Likes

Youā€™ll likely never find out the source of the data leak, could be any website youā€™ve ever used to put your card details into.

At the moment itā€™s often when customers have fallen for the Royal Mail scams!

1 Like

Just got a call from this number & Iā€™m very concerned how much information they had on my including my address.

Sadly they are not very difficult things to get hold of, which makes them seem far more real when you speak to them.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.