Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) chat

Applied yesterday and got the message that my application had been submitted but they they needed a little more information before they can activate my account. Said they’d be in touch about what remaining documents were required. Not sure that’s the standard message for an application where someone already has an account and is opening another…. I think when I opened Drummonds and already has a child’s there was a different message. We will see what happens….

That’s what I got, and then a few days later the account was live in app.

1 Like

Same that’s what I got after applying for a Drummonds recently already had a child account open and same as @ndrw appeared in app a few days later

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

Going through another account opening process and it’s just as painful as all the other times.

Firstly asked to electronically sign, then got an email saying I didn’t pass the ID checks. Probably because they didn’t ask for ID.

Then uploaded a photo of my driving licence and just got an email and been told the image “wasn’t clear”, when it was crystal clear taken with an iPhone 15 Pro.

Had this issue every time I’ve opened an account with them. I can only imagine the photos get horribly compressed or something.

Are you using the old form every time? When opening an account in app if you have an account all ready they ask for very minimal info.

1 Like

I’ve been asked for ID every time no matter how I opened it.

Huh, fair enough, seems weird then.

Yep that’s weird. I’ve only had to provide ID once and that was years ago with my initial current account.

Strange. Are you a non-UK national?

Also, I had the blurry photo excuse for my driving licence before. I think they just don’t like accepting licences.

Nope, UK born and bred. I’ve opened 4 accounts now and had to supply ID every time, and it’s never worked first time.

I can remember once I uploaded it and the preview looked blurry, and it had the same thing this time. It seems that’s not just a bad preview on the web, but an actual representation of what they see. If I get another rejection I’ll upload them via a desktop browser.

I swear that’s happened to me when I was adding my Wife to joint account. No matter how many times I took the picture it looked blurry after I clicked “use photo” or whatever it said even though it was perfectly in focus when I took it.

Low and behold next day they asked for new images because it was blurry.

I think confirms my theory then, something happens during the upload that severely degrades the quality of the image.

Have to wonder how something like that hasn’t been picked up on and resolved. We’re definitely not all uploading blurry images every time.

If you’re using an NI driving license then it likely won’t work as NI driver numbers are 8 digits and GB ones are 16. Son ran into this problem and couldn’t open the account at all. There are no UK driving licences despite both NI and GB ones having UK printed on them and actually being printed in the same place.

1 Like

Does anyone remember how long it normally takes for RBS to deduct the account fee, I would have assumed this would happen when you receive your next statement cycle? it’s been two months and I’ve had nothing deducted.

About 2 weeks after statement date - it’ll have the statement date on the txn reference when it is eventually deducted.

2 Likes

I see, I’ll just wait and see what happens.thanks

My fee comes out on 14th, statement on 26th

Just got reminded that when using the old form, as soon as you submit the first page they’ve already hard searched you before you actually complete the whole process :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You wait ages for a Drummonds cheque book to arrive then within 3 days you have 2 :upside_down_face::thinking:

3 Likes