Richmond Park Cafe

Went to Richmond park today - could only pay on card so went to use my Monzo card and they said they don’t accept MasterCard only Visa

Has anyone else experienced this!?

That’s definitely a strange choice by the retailer, but it’s in their right to accept whatever payment method they choose.

If they only wanted to accept payment in perfectly round pebbles, they could.

4 Likes

Tried it - turned me down…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I tried asking the deer there too. They weren’t interested

I’ve experienced it once I can ever remember and that was in a village pub. That had a sign behind the bar that looked a couple decades old saying ONLY VISA ACCEPTED.

2 Likes

Which language did you use, out of interest?

deirdre barlow Finest impression.

1 Like

Surely deer-dre Barlow? :thinking:

Maybe the pebbles were a bit oval and not perfectly round? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Unusual, but allowed. More commonly seen in the form of “We accept MasterCard and VISA but not American Express.”

2 Likes

Yes, at the Olympic Games.

4 Likes

Going off memory, MasterCard rates on foreign cards is higher than Visa’s , so if it’s a high touristy area then maybe they were getting hit too hard.

Generally shops will negotiate a processing contract on UK card rates and all these international/business/prepaid/credit cards are the ‘hidden’ costs in the industry where they rinse merchants.

The thing is, there’s no cashpoint close to Richmond Park once you’re there and want a coffee, so does it make more economic sense for the cafe to save on the Mastercard fee, or not make any sale at all?

4 Likes

Don’t ask the other one. That would be two deer.

6 Likes

I don’t carry a visa but if a place wont take amex I use monzo.
Never seen somewhere out in the sticks that takes visa but not mc. (Amex is good round here due to alot of izettle, sumup and square as mobile network connection is a million times better than fixed broadband.
They also flat rate any card so don’t feel guilty using amex.

The only visa I have is a natwest debit card with like £5 in there as a backup thats in apple pay.

1 Like

Given that’s the choice they’ve made I’d guess the answer is yes it is, I’m sure if they thought they were losing money by not taking them it be soon accepted

1 Like

And that would be un-herd of ! :flushed:

(I’m here all week :clown_face: ).

6 Likes

Did that deer have one eye?

No i-deer :rofl:

2 Likes

Did that deer have no legs?

Was this clearly signposted before you make your transaction?

Could lead to a lot of products being thrown away if not. Not everyone carries a VISA card, I guess (though would expect many to)