Response to Community Code of Conduct

I don’t find it to be that way tbh. I have a real tendency to go off on tangents but I don’t think that stuff gets moved, as you say it’s part of the ebb and flow :man_shrugging:

Disagree. I’ve been on so many forums, and I’ve seen it happen many times.

A topic gets merged and it ends the discussion that was happening just before it got merged

(Yes it is in part to keep the flow going, but it does have a hidden agenda)

3 Likes

Needless Derailing

Given how often I am reading recent threads that get derailed, to the point that a new user commented:

I’m amazed at how unhelpful 90% of these replies were.

This was just 2 days after this thread discussing the issue. I’m fine for some hard moderation until people calm down when Apple Pay is launched and people accept that the app will change.

Otherwise

Conversation off-topic isn’t always stifled (example). More often than not as I see it, it’s new topics that are merged into existing ones. Sometimes though it might just be to reduce the number of posts in a thread and bring the topic back on point. Because, if you’re coming in late to a thread, are you going to read 250+ posts?

5 Likes

Yeah, I find things getting a bit unpleasant recently. There is one particular “leader” who recently went on a trolling spree in the Starling thread, just days after complaining about others derailing threads. It seems to me that this leader is trying to make the community their personal place where only their opinion gets promoted, and opposing opinions get heavily argued against until they are just shutting up, and that’s a shame.

There is such an imbalance on some things being heavily moderated, and other things being just left to go their way.

I agree that some moderation makes sense. But often it’s just excessive.

5 Likes

For context, could you please share an example of this?

You can always DM the Leader if you think that posts shouldn’t have been moved, we won’t get this right 100% of the time.

:wave: just to clarify, I wasn’t trolling here, I was simply sharing my opinion & having a discussion. You’re free to disagree with me (as people did) of course :slight_smile:

That’s what every troll says :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t want to make this personal, but I have to say that I’m consciously staying out of discussions that you are in, because you do not respect dissenting opinions and argue them to death (to translate a German idiom). That’s at least how it feels to me.

17 Likes

Perfect example of the attitude that gets to me

Another good example.

I’m right you’re wrong, you know?

3 Likes

I’m sorry you feel that way, I hope you feel comfortable getting involved in discussions that I’m a part of soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“alexs, post:9, topic:33814”]
For context, could you please share an example of this?

2 Likes

This topic wasn’t split or merged? It was closed temporarily, I’ll leave the team to judge whether that was the right decision or not.

Do you have another example you could share please?

I’m at the point where I keep the account because of the features,

I have no other loyalties anymore. Especially not from the forum, sadly :frowning:

2 Likes

I personally like the splitting and merging of posts to keep threads on topic.

If I wanted to read continual moaning about Apple Pay or joint accounts, I’d read the relevant threads…

6 Likes

We’ve had that discussion here -

could we please keep the discussion focused on merging / splitting / closing threads here. I’m happy to open topics for anything else.

I also don’t think that doing this silences negativity, critical feedback is often shared and debated.

It just helps keep things tidy!

3 Likes

Possibly Certainly. But if a “leader” does that it’s particularly worrying. We are all humans. And we need to accept humans and humans’ short comings.

But if someone is given the privilege of “power” then we hold them to a different standard. I cannot see how it’s good that someone who’s supposed to enforce rules, who’s supposed to foster good discussion, doesn’t promote this through their own acts.

Also: If I “shout down others”, a leader can tell me off, ban me, whatever. But if a leader does that, then what?

5 Likes

There we go, "ahh quick, change the subject! Ahh I know, I’ll merge the post. Oh no, I can’t because that’s what everybody is talking about "

3 Likes

Alex, this is your usual tactic of innocence, pleasantly disagreeing, asking for reference and generally not understanding that it is OK for people to have differing opinions to yourself.

Then you pull out "Users Who Criticise Monzo Get Shouted Down Here" which actually says nothing and then finally you state we should stay on topic.

8 Likes

Posts 266, 462, 590 of 1711

590 was in October…

Thanks, do you think that, that topic shouldn’t have been split?

I’m asking for examples that you disagree with here.