Redesigned Payment Screen (Early Preview) 👀

Awwww, if you need a Monzo friend you can add my details and send me money? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

There’s a different flow if you choose a payee from Frequent etc. It takes you inside the contact and choose account from there. A bit all over the place isn’t it.

1 Like

Pay & Request
I think this bit is fine - match the overall design of the app and don’t take up particularly too much space.

Frequent
Depending on how this is sorted (@robinb suggests this is by “most paid” - is that in £ value or # of time?) but either way I think this is the most useful tab.

Recent
This is I feel one of the weakest sections, It is highly likely that if I have paid them recently, that they will be people I tend to pay a lot - and if not just scrolling down an “All Contacts” list is more preferable to another menu.

Contacts on Monzo
Why develop and continue to implement the :monzo: logo for contacts if you are going to tell me they are all contacts on Monzo anyway?

All
Is fine, but duplicates the “Contacts on Monzo” contacts - so one is making the other semi-obsolete.

I would suggest that we scrap “Recent” and “Contacts on Monzo” in favour of “Frequent” remaining a horizontal scroll and “All” containing all contacts with those with Monzo featuring the :monzo: logo in the contact icon.

Whilst the new design is better than before, it still feels too much and cluttered, If I’m paying someone I likely know who I am and so don’t need reams and reams of menus to find them.

2 Likes

I agree this button is not very useful at the moment. It’s a legacy from Prepaid times, where you could only Monzo-to-Monzo someone, and the way to do would be having their phone number on your address book.

Ideally this should now allow you to add a new payee, and this could be in different ways like adding sort code + account number, Monzo username, nearby, etc etc. But realistically we might just add the ability to save by entering sort code and account number. It’s not going out soon though.

8 Likes

There’s a slight difference between Android and iOS with the payee sections, and turns out people prefer the Android version :joy:

10 Likes

I like the new design, the only issue for me is the ‘Shared’ tab does not show up on my joint account. I often feel joint accounts are a second thought currently as a lot of features still don’t work fully with them (messages from Monzo only going to personal account, no overdrafts etc.).

1 Like

@JustJordds Why not scrap the lot and have one list with a sort option to cover all current lists?

If I want to see recents then sort by recent (possibly show amount/sort code/account number?); same for the other options.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea, I have no idea whether it is implementable but yeah, to be able to “sort” by the current options that we have available. Although I do quite like the horizontal scrolling they have in right now.

1 Like

Yep this. Seeing the same contact in 4 different lists is a bit much if I’ve paid them recently and they also have Monzo.

Seconded for 2 lists; recent and all contacts with Monzo users having a logo. Android version looks like it got it right.

‘Frequent’ seems to close to ‘recent’ to warrant having it’s own list. Generally if it’s recent it’s someone you are paying frequently like a partner or a close friend.

Top half of the update is great tho! Much cleaner and straight forward.

2 Likes

The android screenshots just reminds me how much I hate Material UI :joy:

To be fair Monzo’s design is fair bit behind the newer (and I think nicer) Material Theming. Mostly it’s the Navy headers and ‘card’ boxes in a few areas that annoy me. But I imagine they’ll eventually be phased out.

1 Like

Be good if you were allowed to add pictures to the payees.

5 Likes

The “ALL” lists in the “Pay” or “Request” sections are still not sorted alphabetically.

Also, I don’t think the “RECENT” and “FREQUENT” sections are necessary after choosing “PAY” or “REQUEST” since a user can see those sections before choosing “PAY” or “REQUEST”.

I’m confused as I have two options for the same person in the list, one with a small Monzo icon. However when I click the one without a Monzo icon it goes to a screen which lists their Monzo account?

So confused!

1 Like

Just to add my two cents worth

Too many lists. All you need is a recent/frequent pay list and then general list with some form of search bar.

Half the people on my Monzo list are people who I don’t speak with anymore.

Top half with the Pay/Request and Frequent is brilliant. Scroll down though and it it is too much.

4 Likes

I’d prefer just a single list for all payees, and then add some cool functionality to easily find entries in the list.

E.g.

• Something like the pulse graph to scroll left and right representing A to Z, and the payee list repositions accordingly (might be faster than scrolling up and down a long list).
  • A number column representing amount of times paid (frequent), and you can sort by that number.
  • A search box where you can type criteria to filter the payee list, which refreshes on each keypress.
  • Ability to create your own groupings (friends, family, businesses, bills, etc), with a drop-down to choose which list to display.

Basically, instead of building several payee lists, build a variety of tools to manipulate/filter a single list.

4 Likes

So I’m not really feeling the new layout it just feels like there’s too much going on I’m on iOS so I will have to see what the android side looks like but at the moment I think it needs a bit more tweaking.

3 Likes

Seeing a few comments saying the contacts on android are better than ios, well, i feel very sorry for ios users cos my contacts section on android is a mess

2 Likes

It’s the “Contacts on Monzo” which ruins it for me.

I get the whole “social” element behind apps, but it just doesn’t work for something like a bank.

90% of my “contacts on Monzo”, I’ll never ever pay in my life - I don’t really want to see them at all (I know you can turn it off, but then you limit yourself with other features).

I’d like to see:

Contact images for contacts.
The ability to merge contacts if needed.
A “grid” layout, rather than a long list.

8 Likes

This would be great along with the monzo contacts as they were on the previous screen. I do miss the old layout for the monzo contacts.

The other suggestions are good ones however.

1 Like