Redesigned Payment Screen (Early Preview) 👀

Hmm, it does seem a little bit jarring
 It might be better suited beneath Pay / Request (as the styling is the same :yum:) :grin:

1 Like

Just got this - realised my fiance hasn’t paid me for three bill splits and owes me about £20!

7 Likes

Personally i preferred the mock ups designs that were previously designed then scrapped that had more logos in use and was better segregated.

To me id remove the whole “Contacts on Monzo” section.

Consolidate it with “All” because the monzo logo is enough i feel to distinguish between the accounts.

@robinb some questions on future enhancements:

• Will we be able to merge payees?
  • Will we be able to add images for non-monzo payees?
  • Can you show the profile picture of monzo payees for transfers to their non-monzo account please :pray:
4 Likes

I have to echo other comments here, whilst I can understand the reasoning (thanks @robinb), this feels a bit of a backwards step and feels less intuitive than the original payments screen. I’m literally seeing my contacts three to four times on one screen.

• When on Payments tab, I see a long list of all my contacts segregated into sections, I then see the same thing when I click on ‘Pay’

• Why have a separate ‘Contacts on Monzo’ section when the Monzo logo is already pinned to the contacts that are on Monzo, letting the user know they’re on Monzo.

• I feel the ‘invite friends’ banner is out of place, if it has to be there and non-dismissable then I think it’s best placed under the ‘Pay’ and ‘Request’ banners.

5 Likes

I get your point but if i can see an account in 4 different places on the same page surely thats a waste of space and adds clutter? Definition of overkill for me personally

2 Likes

I agree. I’d remove the contacts on monzo section and just put the :monzo: next to their photo. It could also be the default account for quick transfers.

7 Likes

Am I being thick here? My payments screen shows exactly what you’re asking for - I’ve “Frequent”, then "Recent, then “All”. In the “All” section, the Monzo contacts have a little Monzo logo in the top right corner of the photo.

I’ve no “Contacts on Monzo”

I have 4 sections:

Frequent (horizontal list)
Recent (vertical list)
Contacts on monzo (vertical list)
All (vertical list)

5 Likes

:point_up_2:
Agree!

I miss my MONZO photos.

I’m on iOS. So maybe there is a difference because of that?

Or could be A/B testing.

I can see your point but I don’t think it is a huge deal.

The main thing I want is my ‘Frequent payees’ to be quick and easy to access and with this layout it is :clap:

Edit: I am on Android and have the same layout as @adinus

1 Like

So maybe the “Contacts on Monzo” section is iOS-specific

I’ve got just one payee setup
 which is now displayed in three places on the same screen: Frequent, Recent and All Contacts.

It really does look a bit naff.

Either have just one payee list containing everyone, or maybe let the user create their own “groups” to assign payees into (e.g. friends, family, businesses etc.) and have these listed as icons like spending categories or pots for the user to click into to see the relevant list of payees.

The current layout seems like too much thought put into nice ideas, but not enough thought with the actual design implementation.

I think the new payments screen is a good start in improving it, but its not there yet.

I totally agree seeing my contacts so many times is redundant and a waste of space. Here is what I would do (All of this is inside the payments tab page, when I talk about tabs I mean the top tabs which are currently “payments”, “scheduled”, “shared”).

Payments Tab
Remove the frequent, recently used and contacts sections from this Tab! Then merge the scheduled tab into it to fill up the rest of the page. We should have 3 sections on this tab, starting with the Pay and Request buttons (these should be made bigger and more prominent, they are the primary actions after all), the next one is “Scheduled & Standing Orders” and the final one is “Subscriptions & Direct Debits”.

Payees Tab
Here you can have the Recent/Frequent & All sections. I would say frequent and then all payees. From here I should be able to search and easily add new payees. This is also where I would go to merge payees, delete them, etc.

Shared Tab
This can stay the same, although could be it could probably be merged into Payments (UI may end up cluttered but unsure).

To me that would make it cleaner and more usable. I will try and mock something up in sketch later.

EDIT: Here is a mockup of what I mean
 Seems more useful to me, but I am sure others will disagree :stuck_out_tongue: 32

1 Like

Missed you getting th the CC nod. Nice one. Well done

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Will merging payees happen at some point? Why can’t I use my Monzo account profile for my own payee contact? You can’t add other accounts to the Contacts on Monzo payees, but you can once you’ve paid one once. This is frustrating. Hope to see these things come soon.

6 Likes

I’m not too sure about the new Payments screen in a number of ways:

• Under frequent I have a load of icons with a single letter. Mainly this is because they are people/companies who aren’t Monzo accounts. This would look fine if this was Monzo only customers but unless you can give icons to other accounts (including some standard company ones like Barclaycard) this is gonna look naff.
  • Under frequent I also have the name of a bus company I’ve paid for transport at my wedding. All well and good, but I’m only paid them once; not my definition of frequent!
  • Like others have said, there is a lot of repetition. Does the average user really pay that many different people/companies?
3 Likes

I just think there needs to be more flexibility in terms of us being able to hide/unhide stuff that we don’t/won’t use. That way anyone who wants all those sections can have them but those of us that don’t can pick and choose.

1 Like

Can the design be toned down if we haven’t got many contacts? If we haven’t got over a certain amount, it’s likely the data is going to be repeated. If we have loads of contacts, the current design won’t feel as repetitive.

I’m with the others, the Payment Screen is all over the place. Your contacts do not need to be repeated like they are - one section would be enough.

If you click on Pay and select a contact - and you have two accounts under their name - it doesn’t show up with account details, just the name you set (see image) So be good to have the account details below the name.

Overall, it doesn’t seem like an improvement, it seems like it’s been over complicated.

5 Likes