Queue the next payment to use a pot

I like the idea but I wonder if it could add potential problems to an issue that could be resolved in other ways:

For example through using the eating out category in summary or by being able to mark card payments as re occurring in the same way as DD so it put’s it under committed spending in Summary.

The best way would be for it to learn your spending rather than have another manual interaction.

What if the button was pressed and forgot, meanwhile they try to make another purchase not related to that pot? If stuff like this could be ironed out then :+1:

1 Like

I would love to see custom rules for spending categories/times of day/businesses/payment values etc, I have unfortunately personally discarded this as ever happening however as I would imagine it would require a complex UI which Monzo won’t want to implement.

I think my idea has an advantage because it is only a single button.

Yeah, having this turned on when you don’t want it is a small problem - but in my head this would be something I would enable as I was queuing to pay for something, or as I was typing card details into a website (something I already need to open the app for because of the 3D secure).

The yellow banner suggestion would also help reduce accidental use :slight_smile:

Oh I’m sorry if that is coming across hostile :slightly_frowning_face:

It was an actual consideration of mine to determine how people use the app differently - I’m a student so by default I’m super poor :stuck_out_tongue:

If I don’t keep funds in pots it ends up being spent on beer and stuff, so lots of my payments would come from pots if they could

1 Like

I’d find this useful. I have a petrol pot and it would mean that I could take straight from that pot as I’d know when I was off to the petrol station. I would love to get it to work on IFTTT but because I get groceries and fuel from Tesco it doesn’t quite work…

1 Like

Isn’t this how you would use targets? Create a target or pot for £100 and keep to it?

I find it much easier to do that than either topping up my main account every time I buy a sandwich or telling Monzo to take the money from a specific pot :man_shrugging: Just tag or hash tag that bad boy up!

The idea kind of sounds like curve but with no benefit (for me!) by moving a payment around (not moving to protected credit card, or points, or business card etc)

2 Likes

This idea isn’t so much for keeping track of spending or for budgeting, so much as it is just to enable spending from pots for any reason, even if you’ve spend 12 months saving up for a holiday and it’s finally time to buy it. :slight_smile:

Any money in a pot is going to be spent one day, and my idea allows you to spend it directly without having multiple items in your statement, or, if you don’t know how much it will cost exactly, means you don’t need to worry about moving over an excess.

I like some aspects of your idea and it seems that many users ultimately want the same thing; the functionality to use the money directly from their pots with the maximum flexibility and minimum faff.

For me this would be to make a payment in the normal way and then retrospectively select which pot to debit the money from.

Perhaps you could select a default pot’ for a given period of time. You could probably set a time and date for the default to change and maybe even decide which pot should become the default next.

1 Like

I have a work money pot and have IFTTT for what I would normally spend for going to work. I have one for stagecoach and couple of shops I would normally buy lunch from near my office. Couple of applets yes but I dont need to move it manually anymore IFTTT do the work for me using my work money only. Withdraw any amount I spent from my pot. Same with my daughters school lunches. Different pots couple of applets. Works for me :wink::muscle:t3::ok_hand:t3:

1 Like