šŸ“° Q&A with Tom Blomfield, founder of Monzo ā€“ Open Up Challenge

I find it to be nothing of the sort. Tomā€™s saying that thereā€™s a clearly defined customer base that probably wonā€™t find Monzoā€™s approach suitable for their needs.

Itā€™s no more political than Nissan hypothetically saying theyā€™re not going to be stealing sales from Rolls Royce with their Leaf model.

7 Likes

If youā€™re not a millionaire banker, I donā€™t think youā€™re in the ā€œ1%ā€. Have a listen to this World Service episode of More or Less, thereā€™s an interesting discussion about how focusing on the bottom and top percentages of wealth leaves out the majority of people:

2 Likes

Surely this is a sackable offence? :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Depends what you define as the ā€œ1%ā€ in this Wikipedia article in the UK you only need wealth of ~Ā£690k+ā€¦

1 Like

pls no :disappointed:

Not necessarily all those things, but certainly Avios, one of the things Tom mentions.

Was this done by people running the company? I havenā€™t seen any evidence of thisā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m certainly not one of the 1%, but I have for many years enjoyed a bit of cashback from my credit cards.

However, Iā€™m considering that if Monzo is/can be smart enough, it might give me insight in to my spending that could ultimately save me an awful lot more than a cashback card rewards me. What I do once I have learned those lessons (go and get my cashback again?) I donā€™t know. I am keeping an open mind though.

2 Likes

And thatā€™s the risk of generalisations! I get Tomā€™s point, a wealthy investment banker probably isnā€™t going to be their main demographic.

Yet some people who Monzo wouldnā€™t expect to be their main demographic (not necessarily wealthy investment bankers :wink:) will still be drawn to them for being

All which helps towards the goal of 1 Billion customers :rocket:.

Though I do see how generalisations including mediaā€™s insistence on ā€˜millennial monzoā€™ trigger reactions and donā€™t helpā€¦

1 Like

I got a BA Amex Card in September, approx. 1 year after getting Monzo and use the two together, and even though I track the spending through Monzo by paying back each individual transaction, I definitely find myself spending more each month than I did previously.

Iā€™m far enough in that Iā€™m sticking with it to hit the companion voucher but after that I need to ditch it - itā€™s not good for my savings/health!

Things like the companion voucher/collecting avios make spending seem too much of a target :dart: for me personallyā€¦

1 Like

Quite a few school headteachers, for example, are in the 1%.

But anyway, weā€™re drifting off topic ā€¦

I think October 31st :smiley: #trickortreat

This is for people on a normal salary, living a normal life.

Our service is relevant to 90pc of the population. Itā€™s not for the 1pc.

@tom :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

FYI, Tomā€™s also doing an AMA over on LinkedIn this week.

Come and drop your questions here:

4 Likes

Where is @tom anyways not seen him on here for agessss?

3 Likes

How is that a typewriter font? Just curious it sure looks proportional to me and I didnā€™t think any typewriters were proportional? :confused:

:woman_shrugging: it was called that, I presume that is the influence

How odd. Though there were, in fact, proportional typewriters I just learned: https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/modelb/modelb_4509PH07.html

1 Like

I want my points and cashback. Maybe I am just used to the US banking system where even the maid gets points on her purchases.

That seems like a very elitest comment

My point is even people who work minimum wage jobs expect and get points. I worked as a cashier on minimum wage and earned points. If I said cashier would it have been better? How is it elitist to want benefits for the 90% when Tom thinks only the 1% want that

1 Like