Pots - Feedback Thread šŸÆ

So Iā€™m going to add my voice here, because why not?

Pots to me are very useful, but as mentioned before only to ring-fence certain things (such as SO/DD and other ā€œRegular Paymentā€ items). Unfortunately, it doesnā€™t really work like that. Iā€™m very much looking forward to the day when funds for Standing Orders and Direct Debits are automatically put in a pot. With the option to move it out, should times be hard, but bills should come first and it would be nice for a system to help with that. Iā€™d also like to be able to use rules (or some automation) to be able to ensure Regular Payments (which arenā€™t SO/DD) can be filtered into a pot until we know itā€™s needed.

I would absolutely love to put some good automation rules in place, such as dumping a pot into a-n-other account (such as an ISA or whatever) at the end of the month (or set date). This will allow me to keep the money in the account (just hidden) should I suddenly need it, but then put it somewhere it will earn proper interest should I manage to avoid spending it. Granted, this is a niche situation, but Iā€™d really love the flexibility of available automation to be such that this sort of thing can be done.

Custom images, as mentioned by others I think this is a huge massive enormous thing missing from the setup. Just like custom categories etc, the more custom we can make it the more at home we will be with it. But that aside, why canā€™t we change the image on an existing pot?!

2 Likes

Any news on when we will be able to create standing orders (from another bank account) into each relevant pot? I thought this would be one of the most basic features required for a version 1 release but obviously Iā€™m in the minority.

At the minute I would have to create a standing order from my ā€˜legacyā€™ bank account into monzo, then remember to manually transfer that into each individual pot.

Ideally each pot would have their own sort code and account number.

1 Like

exactly how bunq works, with an IBAN for each (max 20 pots) PLUS you can have TWO pins on your card and link one to your main account and the other to a particular pot if you like

4 Likes

@stampycode @TheTechie @Hilly thanks for sharing your ideas!

Just a quick reminder - Iā€™ve created this poll so that users can vote for some of the features that youā€™ve requested so that the team can see which features would be most useful. If you havenā€™t voted already, please do :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Iā€™d love the option of a single pot accessible to be locked for 30 or 60 days and collect interest.

Kinda like a small ISA.

(The fact thatā€™s it locked in would give Monzo a guarantee of fixed money in accounts, making it easier to invest in return for interest, is that right?)

2 Likes

Nice idea but Monzo wonā€™t be paying interest for the current accounts. Youā€™ll still be able to achieve the outcome youā€™re looking for though -

Tap the :arrow_down_small: to view the full post.

2 Likes

Not a fan of this as Iā€™d prefer not to set up another account with another company. But I think this will help lots of other people with these services.

I do like my idea though more, even if it is not going to happen.

Though stuff Monzo plans for Pots in the future looks great and if they add a lock to a pot I suppose what I want for a pot is pretty much done (apart from the interest)

2 Likes

Fair enough, Iā€™d hope the benefits outweigh the inconvenience for some users -

Ok to be fair that marketplace idea is good now that I read that youā€™d only deal with Monzo. If that works out like that then that would solve my problem with not wanting to deal with another company.

2 Likes

I whole heartedly agree with this. I want a regular deposit to go into a pot and a regular DD take from that same pot. With the usual money management tools also applied to the pot e.g. targets, Ā£ too short or Ā£ over. I also agree with the other comment about a spare change pot. Round up to the nearest Ā£ and put the change in a savings pot. Much like that other ā€˜investmentā€™ app does except they charge fund fees that exceed your profits. Great work Monzo.

Would love to be able to add notes to Pots as just another small way of helping me organise!

3 Likes

Not sure if I am missing something but is there some way to see a breakdown of when you have added money and how much to a pot. Iā€™ve started adding my ā€˜leftoversā€™ each month to a pot but would like to be able to see what was added in Jan/Feb etc rather than just a total. Iā€™m using Android if that makes any difference

2 Likes

Not sure on Android as I know the search function is somewhat limited in comparison, but on iOS you can just search by the name of the pot.

Thatā€™ll list everything going in and out. Unfortunately I couldnā€™t see how to only list the deposits.

1 Like

Hey again everyone! Thanks for the feedback so far. Hereā€™s some comments from us.

You might want to check out the work weā€™re doing on Redesigning Spending. Goals will fit more into that than Pots.

We definitely want to do this. There are some tricky edge cases to consider, but itā€™s in our plans. So, watch this space :eyes:

And this fits in withā€¦

Or, as lots of you have requested, rules for Pots.

This is something weā€™re definitely interested in looking into. Whether thatā€™s a very simple ā€œif-this-then-thatā€ approach letting you set up custom rules, or more advanced options for setting up standing order arrangements, weā€™re exploring all approaches.

Rules for Pots is still under Medium Term on the Roadmap. And we feel thatā€™s still accurate.

Likewise, Direct Debits coming out of Pots would be great. We think thereā€™s huge potential there to help with your day-to-day budgeting. Weā€™d want to do as much of this as smartly (or ā€˜magicallyā€™) as possible, by identifying your recurring payments. So stay tuned.

FYI, we previously worked on this as an FCA Hackathon a while back:

Weā€™re not planning to increase the number of Pots you can have. Weā€™d have to figure out a new solution to handle this in the UI.

But maybe you could let us know what youā€™d like them for? Weā€™d love to hear your particular use case.

Probably not. Hosting custom images opens up quite a few new complications. (Do we let you upload ANY image as a Pot?). If we were interested, weā€™d rather increase the number of default options or integrate with some kind of library instead.

This isnā€™t a priority at the moment. But weā€™re open to the idea of sorting options (by value, most recently added, etc.)

Weā€™re thinking about it. But thereā€™s nothing to announce.

One thing weā€™re thinking about is having control over the permissions for your Pots, and then sharing them with other people. Eg. you could have a Pot that other people only have ā€œRead & Writeā€ access to, so they could see it and add money, but not withdraw it. Thereā€™s a ton of possible use cases for these, so weā€™ll see what we can come up withā€¦

Agreed! Weā€™ll try to fix that soon.

We think thatā€™d be neat. Having to withdraw to your main balance to re-add to another Pot isnā€™t ideal.

We wouldnā€™t do this. Weā€™d need to create new bank accounts for each Pot, which would mean a lot of work on your side. We want Pots to be easy to set up and start using right away.

Again, we donā€™t have immediate plans to add Interest. But locked Pots is something we could look into.

Weā€™d love to hear more about this. Right now, the name of the Pot is meant to be how you keep it organised. What kind of notes would you be interested in adding?

Not right now. But rather than having some kind of feed for Pots, try using the Search in your main feed and looking up the Potā€™s name. That should give you a list of all the money youā€™ve added or taken out of a Pot.

I hope that gives you some idea of where weā€™re at with Pots. Thereā€™s not much to announce just yet, but weā€™re excited about the possibilities for the future.

Right now, weā€™re still mainly focussed on the current account (things like CASS) and the Overdraft. Pots are still on our Roadmap though, and weā€™re got some very cool things coming very soon. So keep an eye outā€¦

17 Likes

It does, although I will need to change its name since typing Bills shows all transactions categorised as Bills as well as pot transactions.
Anyone know an alternate shirt word for Bills?

I also have a Bills pot and just tried to rename it to ā€:tired_face:ā€. Seemingly we can rename it whatever we want but that doesnā€™t me itā€™ll be searchable. Emojiā€™s arenā€™t apparently.

Editā€¦ Actually they should be as Iā€™ve added emojis as notes to my transaction and searching with :gift: returns all my gift purchases.

2 Likes

No need to host the image, just let the user choose to display one held on their mobile device. With fallback the default hosted image if they delete the image off their mobile phone, or log in to their account from a different device that doesnā€™t have the image on it.

Granted, there might be other issues with this approach - but thereā€™s no uploading and no hosting needed.

3 Likes

Or even hosted via a third party (e.g. Google Photos, Flickr, Facebook, etc) or just from any publicly accessible image URL. There wouldnā€™t even need to a size restriction imposed as the request would be handled by the userā€™s device and Monzo doesnā€™t really need to know what image weā€™re using.

Why is hosting a problem? We can already add receipts as images onto transactions? :thinking:

3 Likes

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Itā€™s not the hosting so much as weā€™d need to think about a few things. What if someone wanted to add a picture of something really graphic as their Pots image? Should we allow that, or do we have controls?

Either way, we hear you. And itā€™s something weā€™ll continue to think about.

1 Like