Plus Free Trial - Feedback Thread

Just had the message pop up for me too today.
I chose not to continue. I see no benefit in a few custom categories and a connected account I can easily see in their app anyway.

I will of course be keeping an eye on Plus and Premium in the future.

I’d be interested to see a poll on here asking who kept it and who is letting it revert back to free.

Even if it’s 5%, that’s still conversion for Monzo. This forum isn’t (as ever) a good representation.

As @ndrw a lot of the features are for “power users” but I know at least two people who pay for Plus who are definitely not that.

2 Likes

I mean you could say this about any poll in this forum…

1 Like

That’s exactly what I said.

I’d disagree - the polls get shared internally between the teams creating the features :person_shrugging:

I’m a poll fan :bar_chart: but nonetheless any feedback on the rollout of this totally welcome :pray:

3 Likes

I’m also coming to the end of my trial and have also decided I won’t be continuing as a paid user. For context, the only aspect of Monzo Plus that really appeals to me is aggregation/analytics. I already pay for a 3rd party aggregator, so to switch to Monzo Plus I’d have to decide to ditch that aggregator and use Monzo Plus instead. Here are the main reasons I’ve decided I won’t be doing that….

1. There is no easy at-a-glance summarisation of connected accounts by account type (for example I can’t quickly see my balance across all current accounts or across all credit card accounts). I can do it using the filter in Trends but that takes several seconds each time you want to switch to a different collection of accounts. Perhaps having pre-set or user-configurable filter collections would help (in addition to the current ability for ad-hoc fine-control).

EDIT - I think another good option for summarisation would be the option to see a widget on the home tab which provided high-level summary of connected accounts, as an alternative to all accounts being listed in this location. I say more about this elsewhere.

2. There is no prediction of upcoming spending from connected accounts.

3. There is no “All transactions” feed which shows transactions across all accounts.

4. The notes field and bank transfer references in the Monzo app are problematic because they are coupled. I explain this issue in more detail elsewhere.

5. Trends/categorisation has limited flexibility in what is and is not considered a spend-type transaction. As far as I can tell, I don’t seem to be able to mark an individual transaction as excluded from spending - I seem to only be able to mark whole categories for exclusion (although I suppose I could create an “excluded” category with Monzo Plus). Furthermore I would generally prefer to treat transactions categorised as savings as spend-type transactions, but this doesn’t seem to be under user control.

Points 4 and 5 aren’t specifically Monzo Plus issues (they are also a Monzo Free issues). But they are obstacles in ditching my 3rd party aggregator (which I currently use for notes and categorisation across aggregated accounts).

1 Like

Just got the email confirming that the Plus Trial has ended.
I thought the numbers were interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

So 3.5% of Monzo users have Plus.

This is where we find 219,000 includes 200,000 given a free trial.

3 Likes

I wonder how many as using premium…

1 Like

With no evidence whatsoever I’d say premium must be more popular simply because that actually offers something besides software.

1 Like

350k+ subscribe to Plus/Premium based on the last investor update in Jan.

1 Like

Taking that as 350,001 then thats ~131,000 premium users taking off 219,000

131k would be ~ 2.1% of all customers :thinking:

If theres only 3.5% Plus i would have expected more like 0.5-1% Premium like 31,000-62,000.

1 Like

Overall I enjoyed the free month, but I basically only used the custom categories, and that alone isn’t worth £5 to me. Back to the free tier I go!

Was great to trial Monzo Plus but (like many others in this thread) I’ve chosen not to become a paying user…

Features I liked the most included 1) being able to connect my Amex card and see balance 2) virtual credit cards 3) credit score.

Further feedback on each of these;

1. Given that Monzo know Amex to be a credit card (and hence that it’s a pending debit), it would be useful if Monzo could show something like an “expected balance after credit card bill”.
  2. Virtual credit cards - work great! Tested with an Equifax trial and no issues.
  3. Credit score was useful to have but I had to search for it- why is this not just displayed in the home page? I need to be able to see it easily to know it has not gone down for any reason.

Final thought is that it feels like there is 1 or 2 more great features missing that would make £5 / month value for money. Features like holographic card is so gimmicky and useless IMO

2 Likes

You get a notification every month when it is updated. This pops up just above on the main feed. You probably just missed out on this with the trial.

2 Likes

To add to this - I imagine the issuing of the monzo plus card is the reason for the 3-month minimum term. If it were possible to opt out of the card (and not be tied to a 3-month minimum term) I’d be more likely to try Monzo Plus again in the future, even without a free month.

2 Likes

I was put on the trial and didn’t even know I was on it until the features disappeared. As others have stated I expect to choose to take out a free trial and not be put on it as au fait acompli. The most useful thing for me was having 10x round ups but that’s no big deal as I can do a manual round up if I choose to. Why should 2,3,5,10x round ups be a plus feature anyway? I thought I read they get this as standard in the US though I might be wrong. Perhaps Plus could be provided free if you maintained a minimum balance across your account/pots as extra funds available for Monzo can be lent out at a higher margin to the benefits or interest paid on savings 3% currently. Just a thought :thinking:

2 Likes

They do. Different market different cost/revenue structure.

I’m more worried that the advanced roundups don’t actually leave my account, you know, rounded up. Feels like it defeats the whole point of it.

If I choose to transfer 10x Round ups to my savings pot then why is this a privilege? As stated, I can do this manually and it’s no big ordeal. I agree that it would be better if it rounded up to leave a whole figure balance though again this is no issue for me.

1 Like

You can argue that everything should be free if “why should I pay” is your point.

2 Likes