Please keep the prepaid cards

strictly speaking it is not TfL but certain transaction types presented by a merchant with a public transport merchant code, and is detailed separately in the MasterCard manual

1 Like

LOL is an amusing TLA (three letter abbreviation) and I once had an elderly person regularly use it in SMS text to mean Lots of Love until I told them :wink:

4 Likes

Come on, we’re using the interweb here, FUD is pretty ubiquitous.

1 Like

Not really, the first time I heard FUD was at conference, I don’t see it enough (even on the internet) to remember the meaning either, I end up googling it pretty much every time I see it.

2 Likes

Thanks @simonb for taking the comment in the spirit with which it was offered, to make :monzo: Monzo the best banking experience in the world.

Interestingly, @DaveTMG you prove my point. You may think it’s ubiquitous, but the first time I’d ever seen that acronym was in Simon’s post and I had to google it because it made no sense on its own. For every acronym (including LOL) there will be people for whom it makes no sense, and in an official context they should be avoided, as they can cause confusion and alienate.

A few years ago I was working in a multinational and their company style guide which showed us how to apply a corporate standard on letters and emails etc always said to put an expression in full followed by the abbreviation in brackets then omiting the full version and just using the initials if it appears more than once in the text.

4 Likes

That can only happen in a very small number of cases and would be the same with any other card? (Your bank cannot turn down a presentment if it has been authorised)

1 Like

That’s interesting. Can you actually still top up through the app in the same way as before with the top up via debit card option? That’s one of the nice things about the current system - I don’t want to have to log on to online banking to transfer money to Monzo.

2 Likes

Not in the version I’m currently using.

However, it will be in the release candidate that goes out to everyone as far as I know.

3 Likes

Currently the app is just a preview but they do intend this for the final current account launch

4 Likes

I just spent the last month moving all my bills and direct debits to the monzo current. Is it possible to have a second monzo current account to separate the day to day spending from the bills? The bills account doesn’t need a card.

That sounds like you’re after Pots, which are coming ‘soon’.

3 Likes

One of the good things about monzo was the prepaid card. Ease of mind from fraud, theft , control your expenses.

So it would be nice if i dont want another current account to continue using a prepaid card (same app)

I agree, but pots work in a similar way for me.

You don’t have to use the Monzo Current Account exclusively as your main current account. You can just transfer in (or top up, when that comes back) spending money and continue to use it in exactly the same way, with all the same benefits you list. In fact, your money is even better protected with FSCS protection by the government.

4 Likes

Instead of us all having the same discussion over again, I suggest you have a read of this thread and add any thoughts you have to it:

4 Likes

apologies for duplicating, i did a search but it seems i missed that thread. thank you for highlighting.

6 Likes

I’m one of obviously quite a few who want Monzo to keep the prepaid card. I’ve paid a subscription for at least the last decade to keep my CashPlus card, why doesn’t Monzo also consider offering a subscription option for those that want to keep the prepaid card too?!

I gather that the prepaid card was only ever seen as a first step to offering a fully fledged banking service.

As it’s a strategic decision, I guess it’ll not change.

It doesn’t fit in with the stated business model which is to lend money and act as a middleman for other financial products. If you don’t put your power bills, mortgage or insurance through a Monzo prepaid card then the data will not exist to enable Monzo to offer you the best (or any) deal and therefore not be able to take their cut.

If it offered a stand alone pre paid card the costs would average ÂŁ80 pa so the charge would have to cover that at least.