Personal information on transactions

It does give that impression. I also asked them via DM on Twitter. It took three months to get their final answer.

I asked in May and got this

“we don’t store transaction information on the debit card, can we ask why you believe this is happening?”

I explained what I had found out and then they said the would pass this on to the relevant department. I reminded them every few weeks that I still hadn’t had a reply and eventually in August got this:

“we won’t be able to disclose more information in regards to this issue. I understand that you are keen to find out more but we would not generally discuss our partners or card processing processes with our customers.”

It’s possible that they had changed this setting on new cards by then as my card was a year old by then (I don’t know if they have).

I wouldn’t call it bad customer service, I probably wouldn’t expect an answer from any bank really (though it would be nice). This thread wasn’t directed to anyone a Monzo, but at least there is a better reply.

My original thread on this is here: Transaction Logs on Debit Cards

So maybe it isn’t worth asking these questions with any particular bank unless you know they appreciate the curiosity of their customers (as Monzo seems to do).