Person to person flex

Hi - I love using Monzo. Great service, easy to use app.

One feature I thought might improve it would be the ability to pay someone back in instalments (similar to how the new flex works). Currently, if someone lends you money, you can set up a standing order to repay them, but you might underpay, or overpay if you forget to cancel. It’s hard to keep track of. With this idea, the payments would come out automatically at a chosen interval and stop once the amount is paid off, and it would be easier to monitor - there could be a screen where you can view the amounts paid and due etc.

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Cool concept however you can just set up a standing order for a set amount of payments for set amounts as well.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

If someone lends you money I would say it’s polite to make absolutely sure you keep track of what you pay back so you repay them quickly, and without putting them in an awkward position of having to correct you.

But, yeah, this already exists with being able to schedule a standing order to stop after a certain number of payments.

2 Likes

Thanks both - could you let me know where to find this? I’ve looked under Payments > Scheduled, but can only find the option to repost until a certain date?

If not a new feature, I think what I’m suggesting would at least be an enhancement/enrichment of the existing. You could have a slider to reduce/increase the amount if circumstances change, and this would automatically adjust the number of payments.

I think something more formal like this helps avoid the ‘awkwardness’ and ensures the pressure isn’t on one side to nudge or correct the other. I agree with you, but unfortunately, not everyone is as conscientious. This would also take the hassle out of having to keep track of it yourself.

I wasn’t aware of the feature you mentioned, so I’ll check that out and see if it meets the requirement.

Thanks for the quick response!

Hi - standing orders aren’t achieving the same thing, so don’t negate this suggestion. I’m talking about a structured repayment plan which takes out the gray areas, confusion and potential for disagreement - that keeps track of how much you’ve paid, and allows you to pay off more if you can afford to etc. would have most of the same behaviour as flex.

Still a valid suggestion above basic standing orders

You could view a total of how much you owe to other people, how much others owe you etc.

It’s not hard to see the value adding in this

1 Like

For you.

Doesn’t the app now do this anyway?

1 Like

I spotted this, but isn’t it only for shared tabs and requested money?

Another benefit would be automatically calculating and applying any interest you may have agreed.

You’re then entering personal loans by charging interest etc for a split payment so it’s never gonna be a thing within monzo.

If you’re splitting something, you’d tell your friend the total bill split up front including interest if it’s a flex, so they share their half with you (though couldn’t use the split function as the interest is on you. Not them, you’d solely owe it).

It gets rather complex from that point as essentially youd still have to pay it as it’s your credit agreement not theirs etc.

You’d need to start your own regulated company to start offering loans with interest on a formal level and enforce friends to pay it back. It’s very unlikely monzo would even entertain this idea.

Stick with an excel sheet and don’t be uptight with your friends if you sub them money.

Good to know!

For the record, I’m not uptight and very generous with my friends! :joy:

Thought this might have some mileage, but makes sense why not.

Thanks for clarifying! Merry Xmas!

3 Likes