Paying in cash to Monzo account

Sorry for the typo…that should read NatWest

I think they are meant to be thrown in fountains?

They do exist, but they’re pretty rare

As well as in-branch ATMs, most of the banks around me have ATMs which are accessible from outside (i.e. they are in the outside wall), and all of these can accept deposits (for accounts at the respective bank).

But the last time I checked with Starling (which, admittedly, was a few months ago), you could only use NatWest for this, not other RBS group banks. So it’s pretty much useless in Scotland (and presumably NI).

If :monzo: does end up going exclusively with an agency arrangement with another bank (as opposed to using the Post Office or PayPoint), please make sure it serves the whole of the UK and not just England & Wales. :grin:

3 Likes

Does anyone else feel that being able to load cash onto their card via paypoint or post office is something Monzo should consider offering? Or do they have plans for this in the not to distant future? It would certainly be a useful feature for me? Or am I in the minority??

1 Like

Hmmm, I wonder how common this is? My data point - I have never paid cash into a bank ever and I expect I probably never will

1 Like

Yes, I think it is something they should/will be looking into. Cash is still around, and whilst I agree it’s nice to keep it as cash, sometimes it’s not practical. I think allowing us to deposit it through either the Post Office or PayPoint will be great.

I will no doubt keep my Joint account with Lloyds so I can just stick it in that and then transfer it over but in an ideal would I would put it straight into my Monzo account.

Sounds good :wink:

Absolutely, we’re aware of that. If we did do an agency arrangement we would be sure to cover as much ground as possible.

3 Likes

Just upgraded to the debit card and it’s even harder to get cash into my Monzo account! Sadly no more topping up via another card & that was my main way,I had to put cash on one card to then drop it into this one,now I cannot do that I’m gutted,looks like pockit just overtook Monzo for us old school cash under the bed types,hopefully they’ll reinstate the old method for topping up and add pay point loads as I’m not the only person who’d love that feature!
Apple Pay would be cool & maybe once I learn a bit more on how to switch funds over I won’t regret upgrading as much but right now I really really miss my old beta prepaid card :(:disappointed:

Debit card top ups will be back within the next couple of weeks, don’t worry!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Alex,that’s music to my ears…am already missing my Monzo and no doubt once I switch on and start getting money transferred in it’ll be top of the list again! Still would love the pay point cash loads but can live without it as long as I can load via debit card! Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Some people still do … i’d be the same as you though :). However it would still be nice to have the option to either pay in or take out a lump sum of cash. My data point :wink: - buying or selling a car. Unless the other person is on Monzo i reckon they wouldn’t be too keen to take your word that you’ve made the transfer.

I’m uncertain how much this would cost Monzo, but it’d be so handy…

http://corporate.paypoint.com/our-proposition/whatwedo?_ga=2.174260389.604973128.1512369660-1515466515.1512369660

Using PayPoint would be so much more convenient than having to visit a Post Office. Many Post Offices shut at around 18:00hrs, Monday to Saturday, and aren’t open at all on Sundays.

Imagine you have a Direct Debit due to go out on a Monday, but you realise on Sunday that your account is just 1p short of the funds… You could ask friends or family to wire you the money via a Faster Payment, but may not want to face the embarrassment, or a lecture from The Bank Of Mum & Dad. Being able to run to the nearest convenience store with the contents of your spare change jar to pay into your account would be a lifesaver.

I personally wouldn’t want to walk into a corner shop and deposit, say, £200.00 in used fivers. Though I’d feel comfortable in handing over sums of up to £50.00.

Screenshot_20171204-065128_1512370329090

8 Likes

Tried to Like your post but got the message:
"You’ve reached the maximum number of likes today. Please wait 418355.089539225 hours before trying again."
That sounds quite a few days to me

5 Likes

I’ve liked it for you :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah, so it’s not just me then :wink:

What about approaching the supermarkets about being able to pay in cash via one of their (admittedly dreadful) automatic checkouts? You can pay for goods in cash (notes and coins) with those, it can’t take a huge amount of dev work for them to transfer it out to an account, can it? Obviously deposit limits would have to apply for ML regs, but if I can get rid of what cash I didn’t spend over the weekend by going to the supermarket…result?

Bet their banking arms would like the idea, so you might get it developed for free?

Unfortunately that’s exactly what they don’t want. They’re avoiding a second transaction fee. Otherwise all POS would be raking in the banks’ business.