Paying & getting paid on Monzo - tell us all!

One of my gripes about payments to other bank accounts is that it can be difficult to work out which account is which. If we could get bank icons in place of initials, that would make it easier when I’m transferring funds to other (non-Monzo) bank accounts I hold.

Even the ability to give the payee a nickname within the Monzo app would be useful.

5 Likes

At the risk of being stoned (Monty Python) I would like being paid in cash or by cheque to be vastly improved!

2 Likes

Hey Chloe!

I think the main added feature I’d love is the ability to send bill splits from Connected Account transactions! For me, that’s mostly credit cards so I’m not fussed about the requested money coming back into my Monzo account, but would just love an easy way to instantly request part of a transaction I’ve made on a credit card.

I love the fairly recent addition of how much friends owe me and I owe friends, but this is often very slow up to date and so would be great to see performance improvements here.

And one of the worst things about paying people back is that I’m thrown out to my current account feed after accepting a bill split or payment request. This means endless switching back and forth between the tabs when I’m accepting several splits at once (maybe after a big day/night out with friends or at the end of the month when my partner and I settle up with each other post-pay-day). Fixing this would be such a huge quality of life improvement here.

On scheduled payments, I think most of this has been covered/suggested already but:

Some way of seeing which payments have already been made for the current month (i.e. my Trends period), and which are still outstanding. Would then expect a total £ figure for those yet to be paid to fit in here nicely.

Really not sure of the value/logic of the distinction between ‘Scheduled & Standing Orders’ and ‘Subscriptions and Direct Debits’, given the latter includes non-DDs.

• Obviously appreciate that DDs are a specific category of payments but the fact that these are mixed in with user-marked repeating card payments just seems odd.
  • I would have all scheduled payments together, in chronological order, with active but not-repeating DDs (e.g. eBay or PayPal authorisations) in their own separate section.

I have scheduled card payments paid from a virtual card attached to a bills pot. At the moment, the Scheduled section of the Payments tab includes DDs paid from my bills pot, but not these scheduled card payments. Thus meaning I don’t have a full view on this tab of all my scheduled payments. Would be great to include all of these here too (whether via a card/account picker like in Trends, or otherwise).

4 Likes

Few things I can think of, that hopefully come under this topic!

• When setting up a scheduled recurring payment, I’d like to be able to choose a custom interval instead of being limited to a select list of options. It’d be great to have a ‘Custom’ option at the bottom that then lets you choose a custom interval with 2 sliders, ie x amount of days/weeks/months/years.
  • Scheduled payments into other accounts can have the amount and payment date edited, but for my scheduled payments that I have going into pots, I have to cancel the scheduled payment and set it up from scratch. It’d be great if this could be made easier
  • The ability to change the reference for scheduled payments going into other pots would be helpful
  • Finally, it’d be great to be able to add a Note to scheduled payments into pots too, so you can tag it with something that makes it clear where/why the money has been moved
4 Likes

The action for switching between accounts in the Payments tab/area follows a different design pattern than the rest of the app, which always gets me

Also I go to transfer money between accounts and it unerringly manages to always select the opposite of the direction I want, seemingly delighting in always selecting the account with less money in it as the source :joy:

Both points somewhat echoing @Revels

It would be lovely to add images to payees as well

4 Likes

I am confused about frequent and recent. Somehow my frequents are excluded from recent.

I do not use bill splits, shared tabs, or want to refer anyone. Those sections take up more than a full screen for me. I wish I could hide them, or move to the bottom.

A rarely if ever need to pay “Recent” people again. I often need to pay my “Frequent” people, which are more than a screenfull away. I wish “frequent” people were above “bills splits, shared tabs, refer a person” sections. Or maybe for “Recent” to not exist. Or contain frequent people inside it, if they are also recent.

If I tap pay someone - it shows blue pay options, and then recent. I never needed to pay Recent ones from there. Instead I wish it would show frequent there. Frequent are not shown at all under pay someone.

Imho pay someone is a mess which I find counter intuitive to complete payments to frequent payees.

Did any of my labs features mess things up for me?

4 Likes

@chloelawrence I’d like to be able to use external accounts or Monzo accounts as the source of funds to pay my credit card too …

2 Likes

I agree. Cheque imaging needs to be added as I do find myself having to keep another bank account open elsewhere, when really all my banking needs should be met with one bank. I know cheques are dying out but when I get a tax refund from HMRC I do need this cashing - and sending it via Royal Mail has its issues with me, plus I’m not paying extra to send it recorded delivery as we pay enough out in fees and charges. I don’t agree we have to pay at the post office counter to deposit money into the account either. Starling don’t do this so I do think Monzo need to stop being greedy at trying to be profitable off the backs of its customers for pointless “features” as it’s basic banking requirements. Monzo would get more respect and more gains if it was a fair bank without trying to claw back money it has lost over the years.

5 Likes

This please :pray:t3:

DDs plus standing orders should be segregated :thinking:

2 Likes

You can’t pay money into Monzo at the post office.

Starling do have charges.

2 Likes

Hello! Thanks for your comment. Could I double check what you mean by ‘the ability to split arbitrary amounts’ so I know I’m understanding it right. Do you mean being able to add custom bills, similar to how you can in shared tabs, but just for a one-off bill split? Thank you :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not sure if this falls under this category, but since bill splits are being considered, I would really like to have the ability to have an arbitrary split for recurring payments. Currently the app only allows recurring bills like DDs to be split 50-50. I understand (partly) the reasoning as the amount can change, but surely we should be able to define a % to split it.

And if you’re wondering, my personal use case for this is BT. I want the top fibre package but my wife doesn’t really care for it, so it is not fair to ask her to pay half of it - therefore we split it like 70-30 every month, instead of 50-50 like the rest of our household bills.

1 Like

So I’ve just spent £500 on 7 event tickets using my Amex.

I therefore want to send 6 payment requests (me being the 7th person).

Currently, I have to get a calculator to work out 500 / 7. Then, I have to create 6 different payment requests and type the reason in 6 times.

I’m wondering if that process could be streamlined…?

5 Likes

Ohhh yes.

So, my primary want would still just be the ability to split the Amex transaction (assuming I’ve got the account connected in Monzo).

But yes, absent that, the ability to create a bill split for X amount and send out multiple requests for portions of this at once, rather than having to create each request separately, would be very cool.

And actually, even if I could split connected account transactions, that could still be a useful feature for requesting portions of a payment upfront (before booking something) or just generally splitting the cost of something without having to find the original transaction.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

2 Likes

My one gripe that exisits still with this - is I can’t easily on the payments screen set a recurring Monzo to Monzo payment to one of my own accounts.

My Joint account gets topped up by a consistent amount each month - is a bit annoying to manually set it as a faster payment compared to how easy it is just to send money out.

I also agree with the point above about it being confusing which account and which direction you are sometimes moving money in.

5 Likes

I’ve complained about this before, but when I send a payment to pay my credit cards, I get a message saying “We couldn’t check this account”… every time… followed by the “could someone be trying to scam you” message … it’s a complete overkill for a regular payment that I’ve made so many times…

I have the same payments setup in Starling and have none of this palava … none… Staring is a much smoother experience. They confirmed my credit card payees successfully when the payments were established and do not bug me with scam warnings…

please take a leaf out of their book :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, same here, I think warnings should not be shown on payments you’ve made before, if it’s to the same account with the same reference.

3 Likes

Multiple categories for payments could do with some work. At present you can assign two but it asks you to split the amount amongst the two but this isnt always needed. Eg pet insurance. This is a bill, but id also like to categorise is under my custom category of “cats” but i does not let you set one to zero.

I also tend to avoid the “get paid early” as it always seems to mess with the “how much left to spend” & spending data. Esp in Feb as its a short month :woman_facepalming:t2:

Pots to pot transfer & pay someone from a pot.

Thank you please.

4 Likes

I think it would be really useful (and make sense) to have a “Share bank details” option above or below the “Share a link” option in Payments → Request.

I’d also like to echo others when they say they find the “See payees” option difficult to find - I think adding an icon for this on the left so it matches the other options would be enough.

Being able to add notes to Shared Tab items (like you can on Splitwise) and Bill Splits would be really useful.

1 Like