Packfleet Discussion 📦

What a dreadful idea.

4 Likes

four Monzo alumni as its founders: Tristan Thomas, former VP of marketing; Hugo Cornejo, former VP design; Josh Garnham, engineer; and Robin Bilgil, also an engineer (both soon to go full-time on Packfleet).

Bye @hugo :wave:

3 Likes

Didn’t realise @hugo had left.

3 Likes

I thought it was quite good

2 Likes

The bit that got me is

But what, you might wonder, does this pack of digital banking veterans know about logistics? Not all that much — but they do know a thing or two about building a fun customer experience, says Thomas, and that has been sorely lacking in parcel deliveries.

So basically we have no idea what we are doing, but we’ll do it with a shiny app

Also

Packfleet has two users: the small and medium-sized businesses — breweries, clothing outlets, vegan cheese manufacturers — which use its service to deliver their goods to customers; and the customers receiving those goods.

I don’t know if that list of businesses was added by the editor or if it’s actually who they aim their services at, but it’s a bit :unamused:. Appealing to the hip and the woke with their vegan cheese being delivered by a fancy app. It’s not really for me

5 Likes

or reroute orders so that they’re delivered to, say, the café a customer is sitting in.

and if you’ve been on a shopping spree, the doorbell can be disturbing Zoom meetings all day to announce a delivery

This just seems like something with no scale. Courier is 2 mins from your house and you go “Oh soz mate, I’m at Starbucks 10 miles away” or “Sorry, I’m in a meeting. Can you just wait 30 mins while my boss goes over everything again?”

That’s fine if you’ve paid £50 for delivery and the driver has 3 drops to do all day.

Parcel delivery is actually incredibly complex and the routes are planned for the best way of delivery all the parcels in the quickest way, not waiting around or diverting because you’ve gone for a coffee :rofl:

8 Likes

There’s something really annoying about the media assuming that just because some has worked at “X” company we need to give their cool new start up unquestionably good publicity and sing their praises just because they worked at “X” company before.

5 Likes

It’s not really going to happen, there’s a reason you can’t just pause a delivery or change it the last second.

They’ll not set the parcel delivery world on fire with this idea, they’ll soon realise it’s too expensive to allow customers to just change stuff last minute

It’s not exactly hard to open your front door of you’re in a “zoom meeting”. Sorry one minute there’s someone at the door, or I’m having technical issues I’ll leave the meeting and rejoin

2 Likes

It just sounds so arrogant and self entitled. We worked at Monzo and can therefore solve whatever we want.

6 Likes

Oh wow I didn’t read all of it, just went back.

Allow customers to try on clothes whist the courier waits.

:joy: What planet are they on, that courier will deliver hardly anything whilst they sit waiting at every stop.

Jesus 🤦

4 Likes

Depends how much extra the customer will pay for that

1 Like

There’s an opportunity to make deliveries a whole lot more efficient as well by, for example, using the couriers to pick up returns as they drop off new orders.

Hermes, DPD, Parcelforce, FedEx, and several others already do this - even Royal Mail does …

Or giving customers the chance to try on clothing while the courier waits, so they can send it back immediately if it doesn’t fit.

yeah, sure - what planet do they live on… :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

£0.00

Nothing extra, there’s a reason customers choose fast fashion brands, that’s for how cheap it is to get an item.

1 Like

But what, you might wonder, does this pack of digital banking veterans know about logistics?

Not all that much — but they do know a thing or two about building a fun customer experience, says Thomas, and that has been sorely lacking in parcel deliveries.

Exactly why it will fail. Logistics isn’t easy. Customers (that is not us, that is the company you order from) will chose who tenders the cheapest contract. What this startup is offering can never, ever be the cheapest. Rescheduling a delivery because I’m in a zoom meeting? Please!! For a paid upgrade maybe DPD will be offered which will give you a one hour slot. But you can’t change it. For a reason! Logistics is necessarily complicated.

6 Likes

Not something I’d pay for either but there’s probably some who would as part of the premium service

Spot on @Revels!
So many of these new startups at the moment seem to be setting out to solve a problem that doesn’t actually exist rather than any of the problems connected to the chosen industry that do exist. Neobanks really had identified problems with the industry and we’ve seen the results across the board, that’s why they were so successful. Inventing issues just so you can ‘solve’ them using the knowledge you have rather than solving the needs of the industry is a recipe for disaster from the outset.

For business customers, priorities are “speed, ease and price,” says Thomas.

The priority for any business customer I’ve ever known (though granted I only know a tiny proportion :sweat_smile:) after ensuring it gets there on time (not necessarily fast, just when it’s due) and undamaged are not “speed, ease and price,” but price, price and price. I’ve no idea where this notion that everything has to arrive at your door within 4 minutes of ordering has come from.

3 Likes

I can’t believe that so many people here are using Monzo because of the improved user experience but can’t see the potential of this service.

As for the “lack of experience” comments, these are exactly the sorts of things that the people running the incumbents said when Monzo was founded. Maybe you missed this but only 2 of Monzo’s 12 person founding team were experienced bankers and Tom wasn’t. It’s possible to learn how logistics work. It’s also beneficial to approach a problem with a fresh pair of eyes, to avoid doing things the way they’ve always been done.

13 Likes

The Monzo customer experience is improved, until it isn’t. Monzo falls down in a number of (arguably) important areas when it comes to customer experience. A shiny app isn’t everything, especially when support spectacularly fails quite frequently.

Logistics are a different beast than banking though. You don’t just move bits and bytes around to show people how much money they have. There’s a lot of real, physical infrastructure involved, with minimal tolerances. The sheer cost of infrastructure puts the incumbents at a massive advantage.

If anyone thinks they can offer a competitive service with silly things like unnecessarily delaying/rerouting delivery drivers because someone’s Zoom call overruns by 5 minutes or because someone needs to call seven friends to ask their opinion on FaceTime whether the clothes they ordered fit them well, they’re in for a surprise. There’s a reason why delivery drivers are rushed off their feet, and while those service providers offer a cheaper price, they’ll always be the first choice for most companies.

Sure, the hippest end customers may care enough to pay a bunch of extra cash for this service but most won’t

Apologies for any nonsensical words by the way. iOS 15 Safari won’t let me scroll the text box so I can’t see half of what I’ve written. And autocorrect loves putting in nonsensical words when I swipe to type

8 Likes