Online Virtual Cards

Whoa, that’s actually great practical use. I mean, I kinda knew it, but didn’t fully realise the scope. I dig it, I’ll do that if Monzo ever offers virtual cards.

1 Like

Standard functionality of Apple Pay: Yes.
Implemented by most issuers: No.

:disappointed:

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to set maximum payment amounts for each virtual card. For example, I pay 9£ a month for Spotify so there is no valid reason for that card number to be debited more than that amount - if it does then it means the card number has been compromised. A max payment amount would block fraudulent payments above the maximum as well as lock out the number in case of fraud.

There’s a bank in the US - Final who based their entire business model around providing virtual cards so it would be nice if Monzo could offer this as well.

5 Likes

Just been looking at a credit card that is only available in the US called Final. It produces extra credit card numbers that can be used with one merchant or just for a one off purchase. You get a physical card and an app - a bit like Monzo, but can generate 'alias ’ numbers for use for subscriptions or one off purchases on the internet. Sounds like a great idea to me and maybe something Monzo could do.

4 Likes

Saw this idea a few years ago and thought it was fantastic, but not been able to find anyone in the UK that do it, so here’s hoping it’s something Monzo will do in the future.

The team have talked about their desire to do this before, and it’s something that having the in-house card processor makes possible.

And as Alex pointed out :arrow_up:, Richard strongly hinted that this is a feature which will come in the future.

I’d like the ability to generate temporary card numbers for use online to make it easier to revoke. We would be able to generate a temporary card number, assign a label to it and use it online just like our physical card number. We would then be able to revoke access to the temporary number without freezing our whole card, which would mean I could use a disposable card number on sites like Sony’s Playstation store, who have a history of data leaks.

4 Likes

You could always PayPal, that way no information is handed over to the 3rd party. PayPal are also very quick to reimburse for malicious use. More online vendors are using it more then ever.

2 Likes

That’s my current solution, however paypal are one of the vendors I’d like to be able to revoke access to. Online retailers tend to charge extra for going through paypal too in my experience.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if PayPal will be included in the ban on fees as essentially you are using a debit/credit card behind it…

1 Like

The bans are applicable only to certain named card schemes namely MasterCard Visa and Amex.

There will be no charges for paying by either debit or credit cards, and when these cards are linked by PayPal, Samsung Pay, Apple Pay and Android Pay.

So if you are using PayPal in connection with a transaction funded by a card then the rules apply. If you are using funds in your PayPal account or the transaction is funded by a bank account in theory the rules do not apply. A PayPal purchased part funded by card and part by another source such as PayPal balance or bank account would be covered aa part is using a card.

The rules will apply to any UK company which is selling to consumers in the UK.

However as this law based on EU regulations similar rules should apply EU wide.

1 Like

Right you are. I read on BBC before, but only the first paragrapgh on that article. We’re never going to avoid some sort of charge, even its absorbed in the cost of the product.

@donalmacc I moved your posts to this thread, so all feedback about this idea is available to Monzo in one place. Other than that, don’t mind me and continue your conversation! :smiley:

1 Like

This is quite common in Portugal. Every bank allows you to create temporary virtual cards for one off transactions. You top up with just the amount you need and this way you limit your exposure if the card details get compromised.
This was in fact the main reason I got my monzo prepaid card and I’m considering closing my current account if this feature is not offered.

1 Like

ttoop

3 Likes

Note to self: stop being honest or others may easily get offended.
If the main reason to have a monzo card is now gone, why should I keep it? And isn’t the whole point of these threads to get feedback on these matters?

All opinions are welcome, was just ribbing you about the way you expressed it.

2 Likes

Have :monzo: said anything to you in your beta feedback about this?
Ask them through in app chat if you haven’t already :slight_smile:

Just that both custom limits on debit card and virtual cards were not confirmed and if it were to happen it would only be in 2018. I really like how easy monzo is to setup and use but this was a key differentiator. I’ll still recommend it to friends but i dont have any use for it now as it offers nothing that my other bank doesnt

Why don’t you just continue ur using it in the same way as the prepaid card? There’s no requirement to move anything over and ‘use it’ like a current account.

2 Likes