Online Virtual Cards

Isnt Apple Pay kind of a step on from the cahoot webcard. As in neither shared/s the actual data with the merchant but Apple Pay removes the need for the webcard anyway. Especially with them pushing it in safari that will pretty much resolve it?

It is a lot more sophisticated than the virtual card generators which used to be provided by banks, but yes same basic principle.

Tom talked about enabling the creation of virtual cards in yesterday’s Periscope chat (there’s a link to the video in the post I’ve quoted).

1 Like

Just to keep everything tied together - I spotted this old comment Daniel, in the fraud team which talks about the ways that virtual cards could benefit them -

2 Likes

The feasibility question’s been mentioned a couple of times, here’s some more insight into this, which Richard shared today -

4 Likes

Here’s some more detail on the use case for virtual cards, from a Monzo Security and Fraud engineer -

It’s always interesting to hear how adding these features can help Monzo prevent fraud, which ultimately benefits users too :thumbsup:

4 Likes

On a related matter, sometimes (such as today!) I would like to have a virtual (legacy other bank) current account number (and sort code?) to provide to a third party. I realise it is hard to abuse a sort code/account number, but it doesn’t always feel right giving these away to one-off payees, who I perhaps don’t trust. Monzo Me helps get round this for smaller transactions with some people, but only for payment by card. Or could each account holder have two or three numbers, one of which is “money inbound only”?

From a money laundering/fraud perspective, the virtual account can still be traced to the primary Monzo account holder, and I suppose when account name becomes part of the payment check step, there will be less problems caused by re-use of account numbers?

4 Likes

I would love to see this - sometimes I don’t want to give out my main card details and being able to use a one-time or virtual card instead would be an absolute gamechanger. It would certainly cement me as a loyal Monzo customer!

3 Likes

Daniel’s just confirmed that this is something he’s working on & shared a little bit of detail on how this will work :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

could this also work for instant issuing of cards?

e.g. i lost my card/it was stolen. you instantly issue me a new card that i can use online and/or add to android pay/apple pay/samsung pay?

1 Like

Potentially yes :heart_eyes:

Jonas mentioned how instant issuing could work a while ago in a podcast - for a slightly different use case but obviously the technology is the same -

From experience with Apple Pay, as soon as my bank (Santander) cancelled my old card and said they were sending my new card the card in my Apple Wallet updated so could be used straight away.

Not sure if this is standard functionality of Apple Pay (and android/samsung etc.) or not.

2 Likes

Really?

I’ve read in bank and apple and android support that this doesnt happen -
but great if it does!

They all say you need to manually add your new card.

1 Like

That’s how it worked for me, as I say not sure if it’s just Santander or not, but was practically instantaneous from the guy saying my new card would be with me in a few days. He even specifically said I could carry on using Apple Pay.

2 Likes

I came here to suggest exactly the same thing – Revolut have the option to add additional cards (£5 each) which can either be virtual or physical (same price for each for some reason). However at home in the UK I prefer to do everything through Monzo due to the better app interface and money management features.

Having just got a replacement card, it means changing card details on Amazon, Uber, Spotify etc, and it would be great to have an ‘un-losable’ virtual card which would still add all the spends to my Monzo totals…

1 Like

Whoa, that’s actually great practical use. I mean, I kinda knew it, but didn’t fully realise the scope. I dig it, I’ll do that if Monzo ever offers virtual cards.

1 Like

Standard functionality of Apple Pay: Yes.
Implemented by most issuers: No.

:disappointed:

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to set maximum payment amounts for each virtual card. For example, I pay 9£ a month for Spotify so there is no valid reason for that card number to be debited more than that amount - if it does then it means the card number has been compromised. A max payment amount would block fraudulent payments above the maximum as well as lock out the number in case of fraud.

There’s a bank in the US - Final who based their entire business model around providing virtual cards so it would be nice if Monzo could offer this as well.

5 Likes

Just been looking at a credit card that is only available in the US called Final. It produces extra credit card numbers that can be used with one merchant or just for a one off purchase. You get a physical card and an app - a bit like Monzo, but can generate 'alias ’ numbers for use for subscriptions or one off purchases on the internet. Sounds like a great idea to me and maybe something Monzo could do.

4 Likes

Saw this idea a few years ago and thought it was fantastic, but not been able to find anyone in the UK that do it, so here’s hoping it’s something Monzo will do in the future.