Octopus Saving Sessions

Here is a broken analogy:

Imagine a pub that can only open a fixed number of barrels of beer per hour.

Loads of people visit this pub straight after work for an hour or so, and the landlord sometimes runs the risk of running out, so they incentive some of the regulars to visit an hour or so later. The amount of beer drunk on a given day is consistent, but by asking some people to visit a little later, they ensure that there is enough beer to go around throughout the day.

2 Likes

Good analogy.

The ultimate aim is not to have to fire up the backup coal stations to provide extra power for the peak demand. If the peak demand can be avoided by demand shifting, then theyā€™re not needed to fire up at all - and thatā€™s a massive win in itself.

3 Likes

So now that Iā€™m an octopus, how do I get signed up to these things? Also, how do I change to the tracker tariff, and how do I get myself an octopus fren?

Oh, and they canā€™t see my smart meters yet but I imagine itā€™s just tech gremlins?

Give it a couple of weeks or so, if they still canā€™t see them then. Just send an email over, theyā€™ll contact the DCC to ask them to contact the meters, it could take some time for them to do that. I had about 2 months worth of missing electricity bills. The meters have all that data stored at least, so once contact is made, itā€™ll send everything.

1 Like

Call or email them to change tariff.

Youā€™ll have to wait for the current round of sessions to finish. Then sign up for the next round when launched. There were, from memory, 14 sessions in this round and there have been 10 so far.

From personal experience, you have to be a customer for 30 days or more before a tariff change can happen.

I donā€™t think the plushies are being offered anymore, although a ā€˜mini-Constantineā€™ seems to be supplied with the elusive Octopus Mini kit (still waiting!)

Oh boy. This is normal so close to a switch (allow 14 days) but watch out for it continuing. Iā€™ve had several failings in the past which have resulted in complete meter replacements. Twice in the last 2 years now! Sign up for additional monitoring services Bright, n3rgy, etc. to see if your smart meter data is being received by them if the Octopus dashboard starts reporting no data. Thatā€™ll help pin-down where a problem may lie.

1 Like

Thanks! The plushies are on hold while they focus on supporting vulnerable customers, but there is a waitlist which I have now joined. Also signed up to the Mini waitlistā€¦

Now the question is, will I get my plushie and/or Mini before @N26throwaway gets switched over at all? :laughing:

1 Like

Once you sign up for Saving Sessions, itā€™s time for the eye-opening pre-session PowerRinse cycleā€¦

1 Like

Some lucky people donā€™t need the savings sessions

I benefited from the glitch of pre-war tariff for an extended year, due to the system not notifying me about price increases at the end of my contract. Iā€™m still on cheap, cheap prices for a few more months yet.

1 Like

:pensive::pensive:

I said it over on the 9to5 discord, but Iā€™ll say it again here.

Good on Octopus for honouring it. Good morals. Hope it sticks as they grow and outlives the founder. So far so good though. Octopus are a rare breed of business indeed.

3 Likes

My brain went straight to ā€œ1930s?!ā€ here :rofl:

1 Like

If only, it be shillings and pence wouldnā€™t it from way back then :eyes::rofl:

1 Like

I joined Octo at the start of Feb, my direct debit is set at Ā£159.

Got an email from them today to say

FYI: Your Direct Debit payment is due soon: Ā£67.00 less than usual
Just a quick reminder: weā€™ll collect your monthly Direct Debit payment of Ā£159.02 on 1st March.

That isnā€™t Ā£67 less. My DD was never Ā£226. Is this how they usually do things and theyā€™ll just take Ā£92 next week?

1 Like

Hmm I am not sure, my DD changed to Ā£67 less than my usual payment when the Gov support started. Iā€™ve been with Octopus for 5 years nearly.

Might be worth emailing/phoning/tweeting them.

Iā€™m still waiting for them to answer my other email :man_shrugging:

Iā€™m happy to have it reduce, Iā€™m also happy if they just give me the credit as Iā€™m new/its easier.

For reference this is how my balance history looks, dunno if this is any help to you:

1 Like

I received the same email - Ā£67 less. However, itā€™s actually going to be Ā£125 less than last month because Iā€™m on variable DD.

Ahh, so my Ā£159 will go as normal and theyā€™ll add the Ā£67 on it looks like based on your second one up?

Perfect. Thank you.