Octopus Saving Sessions

They credit the £67 to my Octopus account at the beginning of the month and then take whatever balance is left by DD. If it’s in credit they don’t take a DD that month. Yet I still receive the “your DD will be £67 less than usual” email each month!

1 Like

My DD was £200 originally, they reduced it to £133 once the £67 per month started.

3 Likes

After having both meters upgraded yesterday I’m glad to be finally able to join in on these saving sessions

The gas meter was installed on the wonk, which I’m not that happy about, the old gas meter (in photo 3) was installed neatly

People online were saying that the “anaconda” was too short, if they had a longer one, they could mount it against the wall

1 Like

L+G E470s like the ones I had fitted a couple of weeks ago.

I was finally able to participate in the most recent saving session but completely forgot on the day and only made 2p :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My gas meter is viewable in the app, electric meter isn’t… yet, looking forward to when it is

1 Like

Both of mine were reporting later the same day, which I found quite impressive. About 4 days later I received an email from Octopus saying that they’d get them connected within 14 days :laughing:

1 Like

Octopus still think my leccy meter is a traditional one for now

Same, and according to my app, mine won’t work as a smart meter on octopus because I live in an unsupported area…

Apparently smart meters don’t work here yet, but it was fine on Bulb.

1 Like

BG told me this. Put me on a list for when they update the area and then two weeks later told me I could have one :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Ouch. Better than a loss though!

I managed just over £12 profit after the last one on the 21-Feb :zap: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

How did you manage to save over 9kWh in a single hour!?!

I don’t think I could use 9kW for a whole hour even if I had the car on charge and the dryer going.

I’ve had mixed results on the recent savings sessions:

When you know, you know :wink:

Turn off yer grannies life support machine?!? Just sat with a wheeze bag keeping her going for the hour :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh ok, well that makes a bit more sense. Does it still work out cost effective once you factor in your additional use? I tried charging my car the morning of one of the sessions and it didn’t seem to make any difference.

FAQs on Savings sessions

I use a combination of factors to (a) reduce the hourly rate during the IDA part of the session (not just the hour*) and (b) ensure my hour saving session has been fully prepped by a good ‘PowerRinse™️’

Bear with me…

*A Saving session isn’t just the hour designated by Octopus. The 2x 30-minute slots (1 hour) prior to the Saving session and the 6x 30-minute slots (3 hours) prior to the that previous hour all count, especially the 3 hours which start 4 hours before the session - this is the In Day Adjustment (IDA) period and is used in the calcs to get your reduction during the saving session.

Using an example of a designated Saving session of 5:30pm-6:30pm here’s what you should do during the 30-minute slots:

1:30pm - 2:00pm - IDA, aka PowerRinse™️ - use AS MUCH electricity as possible
2:00pm - 2:30pm - IDA, aka PowerRinse™️ - use AS MUCH electricity as possible
2:30pm - 3:00pm - IDA, aka PowerRinse™️ - use AS MUCH electricity as possible
3:00pm - 3:30pm - IDA, aka PowerRinse™️ - use AS MUCH electricity as possible
3:30pm - 4:00pm - IDA, aka PowerRinse™️ - use AS MUCH electricity as possible
4:00pm - 4:30pm - IDA, aka PowerRinse™️ - use AS MUCH electricity as possible
4:30pm - 5:00pm - Normal use - ensure electricity use is ‘normal’
5:00pm - 5:30pm - Normal use - ensure electricity use is ‘normal’
5:30pm - 6:00pm - Saving session - EVERYTHING OFF (switch off main breaker if available)
6:00pm - 6:30pm - Saving session - EVERYTHING OFF (switch off main breaker if available)
6:30pm+ back to ‘normal’

It looks crazy, but it works. The sheer amount of energy used in the IDA cycle is offset by the calcs of the saving session - you get more back than you spend (hence why it looks like I saved a huge amount of power - an amount which shouldn’t be possible)

During the IDA cycle: Car charging, heat pump on full, electric oven cleaning cycle, ironing, showers, dishwasher, washing machine, lights on full, plug-in appliances on - go for it for 3 hours!
If you have solar/battery be careful - it can interfere.

So how do I get even cheaper electricity during the IDA cycle? Now there’s a question… It’s possible (I know my implementation works) but you need a very specific set of hardware, configured in a certain way, used with the Intelligent Octopus tariff and it results in Intelligent Octopus thinking the slots used throughout the IDA & ‘Normal’ hour cycles are at off-peak rates. So you spend less money, but it looks like you save an insane amount of power by using an insane amount of power.
Winner, winner :chicken: :plate_with_cutlery:

1 Like

Interesting! I think there’s only one more saving session planned before the end of the month, so I’ll try out the PowerRinse™️ method. But I suspect, since I don’t have the ‘very specific set of hardware’, that I’ll be charged significantly more than I get back. How much energy did octopus believe you used during those PowerRinse™️ hours?

Just over 28kWh over the 3-hour IDA period:

Usual Peak cost = 39.25p per kWh so should have been £11 for those 3 hours. But…
Applied Off-Peak cost = 7.5p per kWh so actually £2.10 for those 3 hours.

I was charged almost £10 for the entire (24hr) day and received £22 for the saving session, so £12 ‘profit’

If the Off-peak hadn’t been applied, it looks like I’d have been charged about £19 for the 24hrs, so if the same £22 was received for the saving session, I’d have a profit of £3

All related to my circumstances (billing area / usage / actual charges applied / etc.)

1 Like

@davidwalton
Saving session this afternoon 6:30 till 7:30

I can’t be in the saving session as Octopus won’t read my electric meter

:+1: Already ‘rinsing’ :wink: