Now in Labs: See your spending by merchant

Yeh I can see that makes sense. No harm in trying I guess, or is that annoying for those that are working on corrections…

Feedback is good and we encourage it!

7 Likes

Great work, something I used to use a lot on Starling back in the day. Appreciate you can do this anyway via Search and so on but this is a lovely little feature.

2 Likes

Love this, great work.

A couple of comments from me:

1. Changing to merchant view feels a bit hidden; it’s not as prominent as, say, the ‘Balance’ / ‘Spending’ button at the top of the page:

Given we’re already on the ‘Spending’ screen, perhaps a more prominent ‘Category’ / ‘Merchant’ selector?

2. Is it possible to break out Bank Transfer i.e. a merchant would effectively be the payee?

Use case - getting my kitchen refurbished so lots of payments to trades. I also regular split / reimburse bills so lots of payments to several individuals.

1. A bonus one - ‘Excluded from Spending’ isn’t split by merchant. I pay off my credit card via bank transfer, class this as a ‘Transfer’, and exclude it from spending (as the spend was on my credit card). Would be super helpful to see how much I paid off (transferred) to Amex / Barclaycard specifically in the period.

Altogether, great stuff though.

5 Likes

How are people finding the merchant data quality powering this feature? Are there many duplicate merchants appearing in your spending? That’s one of the big things we’re worried about and looking for feedback on :pray:

3 Likes

Very good mostly. I’ve got a few duplicates. What’s the best way to report those?

1 Like

The best way is to submit transaction feedback for the, uh, “worse” one(s). For example, I would report the top one in this example from above:

1 Like

Ok thanks. I’ll give it a go

:eyes:

Monzo Plus

7 Likes

Having used this for a bit I have thoughts (obvs):

• I’m not sure I like all bank transfers being lumped together. As others have said, I want to see money I’ve sent to builders etc as a merchant.
  • The “other” tag for Monzo is weird. The merchant is “Monzo”. Can it just say “Monzo”? It almost feels like Monzo is trying to hide visibility of Monzo fees. Which I’m sure isn’t the case.
  • Having overdraft interest payments under “Other” is also strange, when “Borrowing” exists (that’s where Flex transactions are hidden). Basically money to Monzo feels underbaked.
  • This could really do with an ‘all time’ option, or for some more complex user specified time periods. Months/years feels a bit blunt.
  • I’m not sure how it’d fit in, but ordering by number of transactions instead of by value would be cool.

On this, things are mostly good. But there’s an issue for me about branches vs brands. For example, Wetherspoons tend to come up mostly (but not always) as the individual pub (sometimes appended with “Wetherspoon” clunkily). Similarly, some merchants tend to have the branch on the end. I went to Ole and Steen (I know, fancy) which has “Ole and Steen [location]”. I’ve been to other chains that have things like “[Chain name] Victoria” and “[Chain] Trafalgar Square” which is similarly not cool. I flag them for updates but they never change.

Which brings me to this, which has been eating at me for months:

So I think that this is both totally right and yet not right at all.

Yes, there is an objective truth to this data. But not, it’s not in Monzo. That’s because the Monzo data schema just isn’t complex enough. Take my examples above: if Monzo held separate fields for branch and brand, then yes it would accurate. But instead there don’t seem to be any data standards, so COps sometimes go with brand and sometimes with branch. And, especially on the Monzo merchant update, there’s no way to explain what you’re after. And no way for Monzo to go “no, we’ve looked at it but it’s right because X”.

Which brings me back to the argument that a custom view (which doesn’t totally hide / suppress the original merchant data, or Monzo enrichment) is probably the best here.

4 Likes

I see your point. We’ve been working on introducing better guidelines for this sort of thing; hopefully that will help. I still think the answer is for us to do a better job, rather than to push the effort onto you.

2 Likes

Lil update on this Labs release: we haven’t forgotten about it! We’ve been fixing up a few last things, and we’re hoping to take it out of Labs soon.

Amongst other things, we’ve:

• split out “Monzo Plus” / “Monzo Premium” into their own rows. We agreed with the feedback you gave us on this!

• split out bank transfers into a separate row for each payee. Hopefully you find this more helpful!

6 Likes

Good work - and great to see changes on the back of feedback!

This, in particular, makes a huge difference for me. Thank you!

2 Likes

Here’s a little quality of life improvement for this feature: being able to sort transactions.

When I tap into a merchant (or category) I’d quite like to be able to order it by value (like we have in the category/merchant list) as well as by date. Or potentially by account etc if we’re feeling fancy. But value is the biggie for me.

I’m thinking a little sort by selector where the blue cross is (still not a designer):

I’d also quite like to see the number of transactions somewhere on this screen (but getting greedy now!)

5 Likes

Perhaps I’ll try again to point out that the cafe bar at my local independent cinema in Nottingham has the correct logo, from @BroadwayCinema.

While the box office a few feet away has this one, from @Broadway_Cinema - which is in Letchworth Garden City.

Because I’ve reported this repeatedly and been ignored every time.

1 Like

It seems to be easier to report and select the correct merchants however, they don’t seem to ever get updated.

The local garage to me for example is out and has been for many months. Along with a few others.

Back to spending by merchants etc. I’m not sure I found it all that neat or easy to navigate the list as it stands.

I’m not sure how possible this would be, but a scroll of the list itself not the full page would help as currently the list can be so long that it’s hard to then collapse and navigate the list.

1 Like

I’ve had a dig through our database and I can’t find any feedback for either of these merchants since we released this feature to Labs.

Could I trouble you to re-submit it, please? I can then check back later and see whether our new processes are working and you get the result you want. :pray:

5 Likes

Looking at the map in the background, these are going to be Monzo transactions, right? :thinking: :male_detective:

2 Likes

Yes these are Monzo transactions. I’ve done the “suggest a new logo” several times.

1 Like

I think this is the confusion: @tjvr was looking at the logs for the new merchant system for connected accounts (the subject of this topic).

Fingers crossed they get sorted for you anyway. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes