New to Monzo Plus: interest on your money and exclusive discounts 🎈

Unless you have more than £4k

1 Like

And… still nothing for joint account customers.

:sob: It’s a real joke that this hasn’t made any progress. Almost every bank in the country has packaged options for joint accounts (identically to sole account). I don’t understand the difficulty here.

8 Likes

Unlikely as this is a Monzo Plus feature. They mentioned in the Q&A it may be a while before we see Monzo Plus with joint accounts :frowning:

1 Like

Did they give any reason why?

1 Like

Early days so good to see offers starting to happen

But, Please start looking further up the country. Not everyone lives in London.

Will you bring things to Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow customers etc as well?

16 Likes

They want to focus on current accounts first and get those up and running because its a huge learning curve for them.

Not really as the 1.5% cost you £6 a month (unless you got early bird price) so you’ll need over £4000 to break even where the flex pots cost nothing so are better for saving unless you use the other plus deals

3 Likes

I don’t see the difference though. Surely the features just apply to both account holders. Map a Monzo.me address to the join account… how hard can it be?

I used Monzo.me the other day and then realised the money ended up in my personal account. So stupid. I cannot be hard to offer feature parity like this.

3 Likes

It includes balances in regular pots.

So I’ve just made withdrawal from my Shawbrook savings pot to ensure I have the max £4k in my account. I will put the most of that in a normal savings pot to get the 1.5% rate.

Think I’ve understood the above correctly?

3 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for this!

I’m already a customer of one of the deal partners, so my current £3 per month Plus fee gets me a cracking £17 per month discount. Even when the price goes up to £6 at the end of my subscription year it’s still great value.

I’m wondering if the discount will be easy to fix to my existing partner subscription (ie. the activation flow isn’t solely geared for new customers at the partner). Any chance you can confirm this’ll be OK?

Whoa! Two free meals a month?! If only the app hadn’t just broken, I’d be signing up for this!

2 Likes

That’s how I read it :slight_smile:

1 Like

They just said that current banks price their extras on the fact that you’ll never use them or you look into them and they often have poor T&Cs etc. They don’t want to do this but instead want to offer good products and good value but it is hard to work out a flat monthly fee and then negotiate a fair deal for the bolt ons.

This is what they’re struggling with and are still working out. This is why they said they’re focusing on current accounts only.

I guess it just adds more complexity when you need to X2 everything and then build in all that functionality into the app so 2 people can manage it all. Then come up with a new pricing structure because you’d expect buying an addon for 2 people will be cheaper than buying 2 single ones etc :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, I mean I can kind of see that, but the travel insurance is already available for everyone in the family. These new benefits don’t make a difference - each account can take advantage of the offer once, and they’re still only offering interest on the fist £4k.

I’m not asking for pricing like legacy banks at all - I like the idea of the mix and match pricing. There’s not a single feature in the current offering that costs more if used by a couple vs. an individual.

The addition of metal cards in the future is the first thing that would have a slight cost increase - fine! Charge us more. But at least let us join.

(Obviously I’m just venting - thanks for the information, I realise you’re not making this decision :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

I feel your pain. I have a joint account but I still use my current one whereas I believe you have yours dormant?

As you said, I’m just passing the message - I’d recommend you have a watch of the video to get the big picture and better context :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will do, thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

The idea of spending on our individual cards just drives me mad. Moving money all over the place. No visibility on spending. Just a nightmare and wouldn’t work for us. :frowning:

2 Likes

The interest applies to normal pots as well, so you don’t need to have up to 4K in your account account, you can split it to pots. Then the Savings pots are the ones which get their own interest rates.

The offers would clearly cost twice as much if used by two people, for example the two free lunches. Looking into MealPal, it turns out that you have to pay upfront for an entire month of meals every day, so it’s not like you just get two free meals a month. Still an interesting concept, although there are none I can walk to, and they don’t deliver.

What I mean is that the offers would apply once per account - simple.

Many of the offers are also designed for couples or families anyway, like HelloFresh.

Ok, ZipCar, you’d only get the credit once. There are a couple of edge cases. But allowing each to be redeemed once per account surely isn’t a hard concept for customers to grasp.

2 Likes