New Category Colours!

So just moments ago (at the time of writing this post) Monzo’s Android team :monzo: added a couple of new categories (Personal Health & Family)

You can read more about that over in the Android Beta Changelog thread:
https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-for-android-beta-channel-changelog/10207/330?u=nexusmaniac

But what wasn’t mentioned in that changelog is the new colour palette that’s now in play… :sunglasses::scream: I’ve got no doubt that the feedback on this will be hit and miss but I know which camp I’m in :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The colours are incredibly vibrant - now I didn’t think I’d mind it, heck I loved the look of these colours back when the new categories were shown off a little bit by @hugo here:
https://community.monzo.com/t/breakdown/9589?u=nexusmaniac

However, now that I’ve got them in the app, seeing them in production as it were, I can’t say I love them :astonished: - I’ve not yet disliked a Monzo change (I can’t remember it if that’s not the case! :innocent:) but yeah. I think it’s too ‘in your face’ for me :confused:

I can’t show it off very well (I might edit a screenshot later to remove private info) but even the contacts / payments without photos are hyper-bright! :sunny: I think Monzo should tone their colours down, back to the original scheme! :smiley:

I’m really interested to see where the community stand on this though :smiley: I’m going to stick a poll under this, vote on how you feel about the new ‘improved’ colours :slight_smile:

• I love them! :hot_coral_heart:
  • I don’t love them! :sob:

0 voters

I’ve probably mentioned it too many times on here and the team probably want a restraining order on me now, but the colours really look jarring to me.

I love the physical Monzo card because it is brilliantly eye-catching and bright, but the app is clean, comfortable and soothing. Those bright icons really don’t do it for me. I loved the pastels. Also some of the colour associations for me are off. Eg “eating out” is green?

Though I guess if we are going to have that huge dial thing I’ll see the categories a little less, so I can pretend they don’t exist :woman_shrugging:t2:

P.s. Is the Entertainment category that shade of purple by @simonb’s suggestion? :eyes:

6 Likes

Eat your greens :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a subtle hint that we should all go vegan :thinking::herb:

3 Likes

It’s not easy being green :frog:

I like them brighter. Having a bright card should carry over to the app for continuity

Clearly it’s to put people off eating out :joy: Nobody wants to look at the logo :smirk: (kidding :innocent:)

Ahhhh, Like Eve said, eye catching card = :hot_coral_heart::boom::fire::heart_eyes:
But eye caching app? = :confused: Monzo’s logo isn’t nuts, it’s refined and subtle :slight_smile: I love(d) that about the Monzo app, it wasn’t dazzling, it looked professional and modern :smiley: Now it feels like a theme I could select for my character’s armour in a game :joy:

3 Likes

I do have the brightness turned down on my phone fairly low though. Turned it up to look, but now it’s back down :wink:

2 Likes

Or a MySpace profile! Or Preecard forums :nerd_face: bright red text on bright yellow :boom: maybe eventually we’ll get used to it and only grumble occasionally, but coming from the original icons (and contact avatars) it seems jarring

3 Likes

I quite like the colours, surprised people don’t, yet like the hot coral card. I’m open to them being a little less vivid though. Easy going

1 Like

I like that the new categories are here! :tada:

However, the selection screen isn’t consistent with the actual transaction screen any more. :frowning: :see_no_evil: The selection icons are now square, but the icon for the category in the transaction view is still round. Why the change? Do they need to be different? A small thing, but one of those little details that irks me a teeny bit :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I worry that that might be true! :sweat_smile: If it doesn’t change the dislike will shrink… But I’ll still know in the back of my mind that it doesn’t feel Monzo-ey :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Can confirm :wink:

5 Likes

I don’t mind the categories that much but I still can’t get over the Android-style transaction detail view on iOS… they had a perfectly functional one before that actually matched the platform’s conventions, why replace it?..

1 Like

Agreed. Months (or a year?) later, I’ve still not got used to it. Looks very cluttered. The old transaction details screen was a much better layout and easier to glance at different pieces of information.

2 Likes

Is this the switching of the iOS map on transaction detail to Google maps? If so I really miss the old map, it prioritised shop info and Google maps often plonk the tag in grey space with no context/ zoomed out massively. Idk how this works, but I’ve gotten used to it. Don’t look at it anymore as it isn’t v helpful to me

3 Likes

Not just that, here’s what the old version looked like and here’s the new disaster. You can see how the first version feels right at home on iOS, where as now they’ve just copy/pasted the Android version (including the Android-style UI, which I hate to be quite honest) on iOS. It’s a huge disappointment.