New account review screen

Don’t know if this a new screen as never seen this when had reviews on my account

5 Likes

Have never had a review on my account

What did you get previously?

What do you see when you tap “why are you reviewing my account?”

1 Like

This is a regular thing for you?

1 Like

It’s not mine was posted on a Facebook group this is the old screen I’ve had then reviewing a transfer from my partner

3 Likes

It use to be every time my partner would transfer her half of the monthly bills

2 Likes

That surely can’t be an acceptable frequency

3 Likes

Wow you need to change either your partner or you bank if this is happening monthly, and I know which I’d do.

5 Likes

Yeah, change your partner :smiley: /s

5 Likes

If it happens every month, and the review is always in your partner favour, then this feels ripe for a complaint. It implies a flaw in Monzo’s flagging system, which is regularly disrupting your partners use of their account, and Monzo are not sorting it out. What have Monzo said about the repeated flagging?

5 Likes

I’ve moved back to starling for the moment never had a problem with them

4 Likes

I have put in a complaint this is an extract from their final response but I’ve checked what details my partner has put in and they seam ok only thing I can think of is she puts funny references in when sending payments

1 Like

Starling have recently clamped down on this and specifically added it to their T&Cs. It comes into effect on Jan 1st, so be careful there too

3 Likes

I’ve been a victim of this though with Starling but it wasn’t a bad experience at all. I received a particularly high payment from my own HSBC account but they messaged me to ask for clarifications and I didn’t experience any disruptions to my account. The whole thing was done and dusted in 30 minutes.

I think Monzo fails here by conducting reviews without asking questions - it could all be perfectly legitimate but that’s not always obvious when looking from the outside.

3 Likes

Two sides to this: I wholly understand your point around Monzo asking the questions, but leaving the account fully accessible could potentially lead to more “unusual activity” that is flagged by their system, and as a bank they have to be quick on the mark to avoid these situations to prevent fraud or laundering.

The FCA is clearly hot on these topics and love slapping fines out to nobodies benefit but their own.

There must be something around the OP and their partners account that causes this, payment reference, account it’s coming from being previously marked for fraud or similar, unusual activity on the partners account shared with other agencies causing Monzo to feel concerned, I’m sure the list could go on.

3 Likes

They could ask the questions instantly and still block the account temporarily. As it happens you get blocked and told “We’ll get back to you”.

When I had a large transfer between my (then) Monzo account and my Lloyds account, Lloyds blocked my account but immediately called me to question it, then it was unblocked within minutes. I didn’t need to wait around.

Many years ago I had a temporary block (back in the days of branch banking!) and Halifax asked me to come into a branch to sort out. Not as instant then but I immediately knew what to do and could be proactive about it.

The issue would be that Monzo are… let’s say becoming somewhat less easy to contact, so you need to do it at their speed when you are the customer.

9 Likes

This has only ever happened with monzo partner has had her nationwide account for around 25 years and I’ve never had a problem with her transferring money to me either with starling or Barclays and I’ve never had an account frozen

1 Like

If there’s a suspicious transfer of a large amount, then you’d want to block further large transfers until a review is completed.

Low value transactions of someone buying their groceries or a Starbucks coffee wouldn’t be laundering it by any stretch of the imagination. Monzo have gone the route of blocking all transactions and the card.

Even if you were laundering money, spending it in low value card payments at every day places (not like 100 x 5 pound transactions at once, obviously) are obviously not going to be an issue.

Monzo is very obviously a bit too heavy-handed with their blocks.

1 Like

This is a vast improvement over the old screen.

They need to ditch the iconography at the top though. It serves a limited purpose and wastes space (in how they’re using it, it’s just unneeded ornamentation), potentially pushing more important info and buttons below the fold on smaller screens. Most people don’t think to scroll under normal circumstances as it is.

1 Like

What kind of references?

@dudesuper Have Monzo been quick with there review process each time its happened ?

I would say the new screen is more informative, i like the improvement over the old one.

3 Likes