Monzonaut AMA - Erik & Ross - Tech Ops šŸ’» āš™ļø

TechOps and James Hoffman are shuddering at the thought of this Danā€¦

1 Like

I canā€™t really speak to the Ikea furniture names as I donā€™t speak Swedish but if I was going to select a Welsh word for an Ikea item it would be ā€œDraenogā€ which means Hedgehog and it would probably be some sort of vaguely hedgehog shaped itemā€¦ Maybe a bread-bin.

We donā€™t get to see a lot of the devices here before repair as most of them are remote and I wouldnā€™t want to name and shame as my definition of good condition is MUCH higher than some folks hahaha. I think in my entire career the worst one Iā€™ve ever seen involved an iMac, sizzled slugs and a very upset power supply.

2 Likes

This is why we canā€™t have nice thingsā€¦

1 Like

Our dynamic duo are closing their AMA today, get your questions in before they need to go back to fixing Monzonaut issues!

Do you think someone has ever had twins, lets call them Bill & Bob, and then at some point during their early lives, because lets face it, all babies look the same, starting thinking Bill was Bob and Bob was Bill and then they spend the rest of their lives being the other sibling?

Side idea - Branding for twins. Like you do with cows.

If someone wanted to upskill to the uber levels of Monzo TechOps utilising all of the cool new tech, cloud, open source, devops and other buzz words they have only heard on reddit but have only had IT helpdesk experience in a windows environment.

What upskill path and/or words of motivation would you give them.

Happy for both to answer as they may differ.

1 Like

Having watched a good chunk of the video that @Ross_TechOps posted - extremely good by the way - the thought occurs to me: isnā€™t it expensive buying brand new Macs for every new starter? What happens if somebody doesnā€™t pass their probation period? What happens to ex-employee machines? Are they kept as spare stock in case of hardware swaps?

In one of my old jobs, we were given a clunker of a machine for the duration of the probation period after which we could buy any machine we liked up to a certain value. We had ā€œoldā€ spares, but at least it saved a bit of cash while a machine went in for repair, or until it was time to refresh an employeeā€™s computer after 3 years.