Monzo VS Starling "Spying, defections and regrets"

Saw this article in the Telegraph. I although a long time Monzo supporter believe competition is only a good thing.

1 Like

Would have been interesting to read, but its behind a paywall

10 Likes

The bitter rivalry between the firms, well known in Britainā€™s fintech industry, has even led Starling Bank to install frosted windows

This bit made me laugh. The distant second being worried that the market leader is trying to copy them :rofl:

(Though, as with @mholland, I couldnā€™t read the rest because paywall.)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s strange, I can read it and I certainly do not have a subscription. In fact, I can see the ā€œSubscribe Nowā€ link at the top.

Seems I may be logged in as the menu shows ā€œlog outā€ but also shows ā€œupgrade to Premiumā€, so whatever I have itā€™s not premium. But I have no saved password for the site either which would have been created automatically if and when I created and account. Mystery.

Cheers for this!

1 Like

This is amusing haha. Had no idea they did this

1 Like

Who thought those other names were a good option :laughing: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Thanks for providing the full article. Reading it, two things come to mind.

1. It reads almost like a disguised Starling advert, primarily because Boden is the only person directly (and repeatedly) quoted.
  2. Wow, Boden comes across as being super defensive.
2 Likes

That and you donā€™t get 4x as many customers by copying off the ā€œcompetitionā€.

Can read the ā€˜egosā€™ from here. Ugh.

I think most companies at some point have a schism. Most of the semi conductor companies spilt at somepoint.
Personally, I think it someone leaves your company you shouldnā€™t remove all mention of them. If anything you should own the fact that Tom came from Starling and surely have closer collaboration. Its not even like anything IP etc was taken.
It just comes off as jealousy, if Iā€™m honest.

1 Like

Tom has also removed all traces of working for Starling from his LinkedIn page so itā€™s all swings and roundabouts to be honest.

2 Likes

Odd- Iā€™ve just finished the book ā€œBad Bloodā€ about the Theranos biotech company and I half expected everyone to have deleted any reference to the company but they didnā€™t(I thought putting that you worked for a company like Theranos would ruin your chances of a job).
Its probably personal politics then

2 Likes

Like the story said there was friction between them as I guess there is and would be in any working environment. But whatā€™s done is done.

2 Likes

Yawn, what a pointless article.

3 Likes

Agreed, but at least itā€™s something different to the ā€œMonzo has a lot of customers, however they do not make any profitsā€ theme of every other Monzo article ever :wink:

1 Like

This bit also made me laugh, but also - if their windows are big enough to steal company secrets through, they are probably also a data breach :joy:

Edit: fixed wonky quote

1 Like

I was expecting some juicy reporting from that headline and then the article was just ā€œthey split almost 5 years ago and they donā€™t like each other muchā€

2 Likes

Quote still wonky. Thatā€™s from the article, not me. :smiley: