Monzo Staff Weekly Q&A - Tom Blomfield (CEO)

Hi Rob.

As per the rules in the original post:

Please feel free to ask a different question.

11 Likes

Do you have any thoughts on the FT piece today about the Brexit threat to the London Fintech industry? Anne was quoted, do you share her sentiment?

“I do not think it actually takes away from London,” said Anne Boden, founder of digital lender Starling Bank, adding: “It is sad, and I think London will be threatened, but London will survive.” She said that Starling had “already passported into Ireland” and may need to do more of its business from Dublin because of Brexit.

2 Likes

Oops, I missed that rule for this Q&A. :see_no_evil: I’ll ask another…

5 Likes

Do any of the legacy bank CEO community reach out to you to network, or do they just pretend you aren’t there?

15 Likes

Which non-speculative Monzo feature do you personally want the most, why?

3 Likes

We are not fully there with a cashless society, we still require cash from time to time, Monzo accepts cheques, are they plans to accept cash down the line?

(Hope this doesn’t go against the rules of the Q&A)!

4 Likes

@tom, you must feel pretty proud of yourself and your team?

I know you’re busy, but can you post on the forum more regularl?

6 Likes

Has there been anything that’s totally shocked you in building Monzo?
Attitudes of legacy banks towards you, that sort of thing.

5 Likes

How do you imagine the banking industry as a whole will look like in ten years time?

2 Likes

If you could pick any 3 guests for a slap up meal, who would you pick and why? Also, what meal will you be choosing? :grin:

3 Likes

Hi Tom :wave:,

Do you find it’s hard to keep up with everything that’s happening (and do you know everything that is happening) within the company now you’re at 300+ employees and have a lot of ongoing projects?

2 Likes

Hey Tom :slight_smile:

It’s 2028, where do you see yourself and Monzo? How big will you be? How many customers would you like?

3 Likes

Realistically, or ‘dead or alive’?

If you could ask one person (dead or alive) for one piece of advice; who would it be (and if you don’t mind, what would it be)?

5 Likes

High-street banks are inherently evil, essentially rewarding the wealthy for having money and punishing the poor for having none. Monzo clearly has better intentions, but how do we reverse things? I often think about this during my morning movement and have yet to come up with a solution.

Which of the legacy banks will be first to fall?

4 Likes

Red pill or blue pill? :wink:

#matrix

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Really love what you and the team have built with Monzo.

I love watching TED Talks and inspirational videos. My favourite inspirational talk is the one Steve Jobs did at Stanford University where he famously said “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish”.

When you get to your talk about Monzo in a few years time what one takeaway quote will you use to inspire others thinking of taking a leap into the unknown?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Is there any one thing you’ve decided with Monzos functionality that may not have been popular but you’ve stuck by your decision since you started Monzo?

1 Like

Is there anything you miss from a year or two ago when Monzo was a much smaller company?

2 Likes