Monzo Staff Weekly Q&A - Harry Ashbridge (Writer)

Well, Anglesea is overseas :wink:

1 Like

Who do you think is the most overrated writer of all time?

How do you see your role changing as Monzo expands internationally?

3 Likes

Thanks all, Harry should be here tomorrow to answer everything! :grinning:

2 Likes

Have you ever hit the bridge?

1 Like

.siht wonk ot deen I tub ,deksa neeb s’ti wonk I ?taht od ot nrael uoy did woH .gnizama si sihT …ti tuoba kniht ot evah uoy od rO ?sdrawkcab klat yltneulf uoy naC …gnikaeps sdrawkcab elohw eht htiw ,oS

1 Like

For inclusivity, I’m gona answer these backwards questions in regular forward-speak :wink:

Apparently when I was little (maybe 7 or 8?) I saw a kid on Blue Peter speak backwards, and found it totally unimpressive. I asked my mum, “Why is he on TV doing that?” and she said “Because it’s amazing! He can speak backwards!”. The story goes I said “But everyone can do that can’t they?” and then just did it myself. They thought I was possessed.

The great thing about being able to speak backwards is it has absolutely zero practical uses.

7 Likes

Great question! Honestly it really depends.

Sometimes I’ll be in the room when we’re coming up with a new feature and will help shape it from the ground up, defining what it’s for and why people might want it.

Sometimes one of our designers will have written everything already, and I’ll be giving it a final once-over.

The one constant is that everyone here understands that good writing isn’t a polish you can add to the end of a process; everyone thinks carefully about making sure things are well-written from the start. We never use ‘lorem ipsum’ or any placeholder stuff. Everything is designed with the actual content in minds (…by monkeys :monkey:).

Glad to hear the monkeys are working out for you! They’re my fave.

3 Likes

The monkeys are well looked after, don’t worry.

(The monkeys have taken control. Please send help.)

6 Likes

I’m totally down with the pineapple on pizza. Hawaiian was, for a long while, my absolute fave. Obviously that’s madness and I’ve moved on – but it still has a special place in my heart.

I’m a big Coin Jar fan, and I know the team are working on other cool Pot rules which will be fun. A Pot that saved £1 every time someone asked me if you can really start a sentence with ‘And’ would be great.

3 Likes

I am a friend to all cats. I have two, named Mona Lisa and Jean Ralphio (bonus points if you get the reference).

They’re about a year old, and have basically taken over my life.

5 Likes

This is a tough question!

The characters in most of my favourite books always have it really tough, so I’ll probably have to go for someone who has a nice time. Maybe one of the loafers from The Great Gatsby, who just parties at Gatsby’s all summer with no consequences? That’d be fun for a bit.

(Ps everything’s looking great! And don’t worry, I’m a descriptivist anyhow.

3 Likes

I love cats. My two are about a year old, and completely run the house.

2 Likes

At first I thought you meant the maître d’… but I realise now you mean the tall blonde guy.

Gotta be honest: I don’t really see it.

3 Likes

This is a good spot, and a nice example of where ‘correct’ grammar isn’t necessarily the most useful.

The change you’ve suggested makes perfect sense to me – I’ll get it edited. Thanks!

3 Likes

It changes all the time.

Current contender is mellifluous (which is like speech that’s lovely and melodic). But it might well have changed by Monday.

3 Likes

This is a great question, and definitely something we spend a lot of time thinking about.

There’s a ton of research that suggests people are very heavily influenced by subtle changes in wording, and the terminology we use has a cumulative effect on how people feel about us and what we’re doing. It can also be evidence of biases we didn’t know we had.

Generally speaking, we have to always be on the lookout for words we use internally slipping out into the world. Not because we use ‘bad’ words, but because we’re afflicted with the ‘curse of knowledge’, and we can forget that people don’t know what we know.

In the specific example of ‘salary’, I think it’s important that we’re inclusive and say ‘income’ when we mean income. But there are also times (like when it comes to overdraft eligibility) when we need to be specific and say something like ‘salary’.

My personal crusade at the moment is against the word ‘funds’ (as in ‘low on funds’). No-one outside financial services says that – they say money! So if you see it anywhere, let me know.

To your second point on regulation: it’s very rare that the regulator will mandate exact wording. Generally, they tell us what message we have to get across, and we’re free to word it in our own way.

(I talk about this stuff quite a lot in the Open Office I did back in March, if you can bear an hour-long video.)

6 Likes

Well I have a Fitbit, so…

4 Likes

I consider Wales to be a friend and ally.

(I ain’t falling for this.)

6 Likes

The answer to what?
I can’t see a question here
Can you rephrase it?

5 Likes