🏃‍♂️ Monzo Running Community Thread 🏃‍♀️

I’ve done a bit of distance running there are 1000s of training programs out there. You just have to find one that suits you. I don’t do many long runs in general I concentrate on intervals/hill reps and strength and conditioning and flexibility. If training for a marathon etc I’d long run maybe once a week and only get to about 18 miles or so before actually taking on the marathon.

It was a bit rainy out today so I took to the treadmill for a 1 hour interval session. My Christ it’s boring on a treadmill. I try my best to avoid them if I can but the rain was very heavy and the ground here is clay and gets super sticky and slippery with a bit of the wet stuff.
I ended the session with 30 pull ups. And squats and dead lifts working up to a 3 rep max. And a long stretch afterwards.

24 hour team race completed. 8 runners a 1km loop and 24 hours to do as much as possible no runner aloud to do consecutive laps. We achieved 295km over all.

3 Likes

Awesome effort :grin:

1 Like

Thankyou. A tad stiff today I must admit

Hi folks. Quite new here.
I’m going to start running again after a long break. Did the London Marathon in 2010 and pretty sure haven’t run since!
I occasionally have lower back issues (from sciatica many, many years ago) so looking to ease in gently. Will go out tomorrow. Prob manage 5 minutes, tops. Also going to run on grass for the first few weeks.

Does anyone know of any back-to-running steps/guides? (I mean, the steps to building fitness back). I’m not planning on running a marathon ever again. Maybe a half, see how it goes

1 Like

Getting in the gym doing some strength work will help also don’t just do running as CV training spinning/assault bikes are good and do HIIT training. Swimming is great too especially as it’s low impact.
Running wise just start slow and steady don’t do any more than you feel comfortable with and build up to a level you are happy with you can then push harder from there.

Thanks. Yep, that sounds sensible! :+1:

Good luck with it. I’ve had to come back from a few injuries over the years and know how hard and frustrating it can be.
The other thing to really work on is flexibility, warm up well before a session and cool down with a good stretching session and maybe a foam roller etc.
Also I can’t recommend yoga enough it’s great I’ve just started up with hotpod yoga and its helping loads with a few niggles after a hard training week.
Again good look and stay well.

Wish me luck everyone. Going to try for 8km tomorrow which will be the furthest I’ve ever run (I think).

(Psychologically, it’s just to next village and back.)

3 Likes

You will smash it distance is all mental your body will go as far as you want if your mind will let it. Be :muscle: and​:running_man:‍♂ hard.

1 Like

Pretty chuffed. 48m:51s which my mate reckons isn’t too bad for someone who’s only run three other 5Ks before.

The only time I walked was at the turnaround at the halfway point, where the lane pretty much goes vertical :rofl:

Anyway, forgive what isn’t, but feels a bit like, bragging. I’m actually feeling pretty emotional at achieving that. Now going for a ride on a steam train :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Great running @j06 and yeah that’s a good time, easily do a 1 hour 10k, keep up the training :grin:

2 Likes

Great stuff well done and keep it up

2 Likes

So last X-country of the year for me tomorrow before I go complete cricket.
10k race in the sideways rain aiming for a sub 35min.

2 Likes

My workout app (Freeletics*) demanded another 8km run today, for ‘Endurance Day’.

Improved on my time by 3:40 :sunglasses:

Managed to run 100% of the distance :raised_hands:

*referral link

4 Likes

Back to the running for me now the cricket season is over. I’m a little late back due to a minor knee niggle but back to it now 10k today not timed but felt comfortable at around a 7.30 min mile pace.

Big bump!

Who are the runners on here? @j06 are you still running?

It’s so much nicer that I can go in a tshirt and not have to worry about a hat/gloves now. This is one thing that has changed so much with working from home; I can easily get out and do 5k at lunchtime and don’t have the stress (or easily avoided) of doing it after work.

1 Like

:wave: still here.

Work has been frantic since January, so I’ve become a bit of a fair weather runner. Need some new shoes, then I’ll be back out pounding the pavements.

I’d forgotten about this thread!

My running has kept me sane this past 12 months and sticking to training plans has really helped get some structure into my week in the absence of not much else happening outside of work.

Loving the fact the days are getting longer and it’s warming up a bit. It’s now over a year since my last race - the Big Half right before lockdown which, given the circumstances, probably wasn’t the most sensible of things to have done!

It’s good to start seeing some races get booked back in - disappointed to have my two half marathons due in April and May pushed back to the Autumn, but hopefully some normality returning.

Somehow managed to get a place for the London Marathon this October through the ballot so I’m kicking on with my half-marathon training over the next few months before dropping onto marathon training at the start of June.

Quite excited!

1 Like