Monzo Plus – you asked us to make it simpler, so we’ve created bundles

A lot of people seem to have this view, but Monzo isn’t a charity, it’s a business which exists to make a profit to its shareholders. It’s not like a little local business endeavour.

6 Likes

I have no issue with people wanting to support Monzo. I’m not sure why people need to constantly remind others to not spend their money on the things that are important to them, if they want to support Monzo why tell them otherwise?

Fyi I agree it’s somewhat a waste, but far be it for me to tell people what to do with their money or how they should feel about a company.

6 Likes

Feel free to discuss and debate Plus all you want. Just don’t deride those that choose to buy it to support Monzo.

5 Likes

I do see what you mean. It’s definitely a personal thing. I get that others may not feel the same way.

I’d just rather give my money to a bank I believe in, that’s not profitable and that have helped me save and pay off debts than a big bank that have awful online services that haven’t helped me (among other things).

I guess it could be compared to someone wanting to pay slightly more for renewable energy than the cheapest quote they get from comparethemarket.

14 Likes

I’ve not derided anyone who chooses to support Monzo.

This post right here is what will ultimately prove that this product was mis-sold. Anyone wanting a refund, this is the post you need to reference:

It’s like going to buy a TV and the salesman telling you that it’s currently half price but it could go back up to full price any day now. It’s black and white but there’s a firmware update coming that’ll make it colour. That update will also upgrade the sound from mono to Dolby Digital 5.1. The manufacturer is planning to release a plug-in module that’ll give you all the pay-per-view channels at a really good price. You buy it on a monthly purchase plan then a few months down the line find out that the firmware update has been pulled and the manufacturer has stopped making accessories for it. Would you be happy to continue paying for your black and white, mono TV?

8 Likes

These are the criteria for claims for packaged account mis selling, I don’t think Monzo Plus is covered by any of these.

• In order to be in any way successful with a claim for claiming fees back on a packaged account, you will have to be able to prove that you were mis-sold the policy in some way, and that one of the following applies (or a similarly weighty argument):

• You were not told about the account at all. You were not informed by the bank staff that your current account had been upgraded to a packaged account (or about any of the benefits it offered), and you only realised when the money was taken out of your account every month.

• You were sold the account under pressure , without receiving any information about it.

• You were not given a choice about opening the account. Bank staff told you that you had to take it out, in order to be eligible for another product (such as a mortgage, loan, overdraft or savings account), or you were told that you would suffer some hardship if you didn’t take it out (it would have a detrimental effect on your credit rating, for example).

• You were not eligible for one or many of the benefits on offer. If the packaged account was recommended by the bank, did they assess whether you would be able to claim on any of the policies? For example, this would be relevant if you were over the age of 70 when you opened the account, and the travel insurance only covered those under the age of 70.

• You were not told that you had to register or activate certain features – for example, providing details of your mobile phone or car registration for insurance and breakdown cover respectively.

• The price of the packaged account increased and you were not informed beforehand.

• You were told you had to keep the account open when you asked to cancel it.*

3 Likes

This is dreadful. I would now have to spend over £25 for something I could get for between £10\15 - and don’t even get interest on my account? Think you’ve gone backwards Monzo team, sorry!

1 Like

Nailed it :raised_hands:.

6 Likes

What providers are you using or could use ?

Eh, this is a really disappointing change – as others have stated, Monzo’s initial Plus Blog post mentioned Monzo not believing in bulky bundles and that choosing your products separately was more of a fit for the Monzo way of banking, this has been U-Turned.

I signed up during the initial period and thus I’m an early-bird, I was sold this product knowing everything is separate, I pay for the new card colour as well the travel insurance, both products that I use and hence why I opted to pay for them, this is now spread across 2 bundles? No thank you.

Plus in its current iteration has been mis-sold, Monzo need to take feedback from this thread and get their thinking caps on pronto, before their new announcement this evening.

Another slightly annoying thing, when I signed up, period ‘Swag’ was advertised, I’ve yet to receive any Swag and now looking at the announcement, this will only be possible if I get the Supporter bundle, again – mis-sold.

Love Monzo, but this is a disastrous decision; my opinion, the options are to grandfather in current customers and still allow them to add things separately (even new products) as well as rolling them out for the Swag, the Interest, etc or just revert back to the original vision of Plus.

2 Likes

I updated my Monzo App last night, and I notice, that If I go to Add Monzo Plus, it only gives me the Traveller Bundle as an Option, surely I should be given all 3 options to look at?? Not good Monzo.

1 Like

Slow down there lol. My girlfriend’s one showed all 3 options - could be a server side thing they’re doing to push the options

1 Like

So it’s a push to get certain Packages signed up to… still not good!

It’s the customers decision, and if all 3 options are available for some customers why not all? They are options and customers need to see the options before they make the decision if at all to choose a package not have it forced on them.

I’m still a bit confused with the new bundles anyway. The Supporter for example has Metal card prize draws yet as far as i’m aware a metal card doesn’t even exist as a product unless it’s being announced today at the event.

1 Like

Yep. A lot of this Monzo Plus business seems to have been vapourware. They’ve happily sold customers a promise they were unable to deliver.

If the metal card is being announced imminently then keep schtum until it’s available. That way Monzo won’t have disgruntled customers.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t2: Thats not what I mean - As in they’re fixing things backend wise which might have caused it to not push all the content to your application

2 Likes

A reminder that you can ask questions and express concerns to the Plus team this evening through Sli.do

1 Like

I totally get that Starling shut their community due to the negativity surrounding product launches, however, this feels different. The people in this ‘community’ felt that Monzo was about creating something that was different / innovative. As such we’ve gone from having the innovative ideas of being able to chop and change what benefits you want (which makes sense) to a total u-turn in which the new product represents that of Revolut / N26. This is not innovative.
Monzo initially put pen to paper on their ‘plan’ for Monzo Plus - I appreciate plans change but clearly the product was brought to market far too early before strategic decisions had been made regarding its future. As a Plus Early Bird customer, it feels like at Director level they have almost said, let’s see how many ‘suckers’ we can get to give us £3.00 a month knowing full well that there could be wholesale changes in the development of Plus moving forward.
My message to Monzo - you’ve decided for some unknown reason to change your mind on what seemed to be a great idea based on information you say you received (but no-one in your community seems to understand where from). You’ve committed to the new bundles so own it.
Come on the community and defend your decision - provide the stats of the market research you conducted (how many customers stated they wanted something different / bundles etc).
At the moment, it feels like you’re hiding from the community until you can get tonight’s ‘Plus event’ over and done with.
We are not trying to be negative, we just can’t understand the rationale you have given for changing your plan - A plan which plenty of people like myself believed in enough to pay £3.00 a month for essentially nothing.

2 Likes

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I don’t think that is a bad thing in regards to what I have quoted. If a post was made now answering some questions, it would likely open up even more questions and frustration ahead of the event. And not everyone would be able to catch up on the latest updates from Monzo before the event, just leading to more confusion.

However I would expect a reply from them after the event, or tomorrow morning :slight_smile: If they do not do that, it could be seen extremely negatively.

2 Likes